The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

About the Ads

wagrxm2000

Walgreens enthusiast. Called the peak in Bitcoin.
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Ok I'll put a sell order in of 4 shares at $138 if it doesn't hit, sell at lunch?

Sound good?

I'm glad someone is making a move. Mercado libre still going strong but guess that position isn't getting sold.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
they said very little. nothing about reservations, manufacturing partners, nothing about hydrogen filling stations being constructed
Yeah I'd stay away @mentos unless you have money you just want to leave there for a few years.

I do find Nikola a very interesting company.

Reactions: mentos
About the Ads

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
It is mind-blowing that the s&p500 is about 2% from all time highs with these earnings

I guess my thesis of what will have to be accepted is higher p/e levels for now

flowers47

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 7, 2020
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Post Doc
It is mind-blowing that the s&p500 is about 2% from all time highs with these earnings

I guess my thesis of what will have to be accepted is higher p/e levels for now
We are in the midst of a technology change. Old value companies like Ford are still taking a big beating while Tesla which makes little profit is now the most valuable carmaker.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
We are in the midst of a technology change. Old value companies like Ford are still taking a big beating while Tesla which makes little profit is now the most valuable carmaker.
And I profit off it.

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What do you think guys about re-allocating almost all 401k fund (~80%) into S&P 500 and large company growth index fund if one plan to retire in 20 yrs?

About the Ads

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
What do you think guys about re-allocating almost all 401k fund (~80%) into S&P 500 and large company growth index fund if one plan to retire in 20 yrs?
What's your current allocation? Some people have their entire 401k in an S&P and there's nothing wrong with that. Would recommend some international and maybe bonds too.

redfish955

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2018
Status
Non-Student
I dream of owning a beach house with a dock. I just need $4-6M. Can everyone lend me some money at low interest rate?

This one sold for $8M: 1212 E Balboa Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92661 - 3 beds/4.5 baths
IMO these florida beach towns are going to sky rocket as people leave their six figure cubicle roles and get to move around the country working from home. I am personally partial to Chotahatchee bay(destin florida area).
The biggest thing is keeping the expense of the fund down. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the fund is cheap.

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's your current allocation? Some people have their entire 401k in an S&P and there's nothing wrong with that. Would recommend some international and maybe bonds too.
80% S&P and large company growth index fund, 10% government bond and 10% international

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
IMO these florida beach towns are going to sky rocket as people leave their six figure cubicle roles and get to move around the country working from home. I am personally partial to Chotahatchee bay(destin florida area).

The biggest thing is keeping the expense of the fund down. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the fund is cheap.
It's very cheap... < $50/yr on a ~125k balance.

About the Ads

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
Hydrogen makes no sense. You can’t charge hydrogen at home. EV makes way more sense.
Well once the fuel stations become more available, it will. It takes 5 min to refuel just like gas.

Have you taken a long road trip in an EV? It sucks waiting for the car to charge, even at a super charger.

msweph

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
There is a thread about it. I'm semi reallocating mine. It was in this stupid thing that was a mixture of many different funds. I'm currently re allocating it.

I'd like to get rid of some international funds but haven't yet.
I did change my future allocations to be more large caps and all the best funds with good expense rations.

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There is a thread about it. I'm semi reallocating mine. It was in this stupid thing that was a mixture of many different funds. I'm currently re allocating it.

I'd like to get rid of some international funds but haven't yet.
I did change my future allocations to be more large caps and all the best funds with good expense rations.
I just re-allocated mine today-mostly large cap. Let's see what will happen in the next 10 yrs

msweph

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
80% S&P and large company growth index fund, 10% government bond and 10% international
I'm also moving slightly more into bonds for my 403b. Like literally small bits. I was under allocated (3.5% total) so I'm moving small bits over

Reactions: Splenda88

msweph

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I just re-allocated mine today-mostly large cap. Let's see what will happen in the next 10 yrs
I feel ya. I'm hesitant to move too much in right now. I'm leaving a lot of my small, mid and international (just moving to lower fee funds) but changed additional going forward.

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel ya. I'm hesitant to move too much in right now. I'm leaving a lot of my small, mid and international (just moving to lower fee funds) but changed additional going forward.
I will not touch it for another 20 yrs. I am not a big fan of small cap companies, and even emerging markets. I almost put 90% and large cap and 10% in bond.

msweph

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I will not touch it for another 20 yrs. I am not a big fan of small cap companies, and even emerging markets. I almost put 90% and large cap and 10% in bond.
I'm mostly just adjusting it now because my 403b company had an option for them to manage it for you as you aged. It was cheap, especially when my balance was low. It put me in some funds with higher expense rations, so I am moving out of those, otherwise I wouldn't typically touch it either.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Guess I should have sold at open. Oh well. Keep holding, I guess.
After that run up you're going to have some profit takers. As long as the market doesn't tank it should reach all time highs again.

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm mostly just adjusting it now because my 403b company had an option for them to manage it for you as you aged. It was cheap, especially when my balance was low. It put me in some funds with higher expense rations, so I am moving out of those, otherwise I wouldn't typically touch it either.
How much time you have until retirement? If you have 15+ yrs, put it in a fund that mimic the S&P 500. You won't go wrong.

flowers47

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 7, 2020
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Post Doc
I put in 10% of my cash reserve in NIO. If NIO goes to the moon, I am going to buy a beach house. If it goes bankrupt, I am sure I am going to hear it from you guys!

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
I put in 10% of my cash reserve in NIO. If NIO goes to the moon, I am going to buy a beach house. If it goes bankrupt, I am sure I am going to hear it from you guys!
What's your average cost?

I'll put $10k in if it falls to $10 dollars.

Reactions: mentos
About the Ads