The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tesla was bought at 363.80 and Lulu was sold at 311.44 for a $4.65 loss overall

So do you have a price target you want to sell at @owlegrad ?

I get the whole let it run thing but a lot of the fund could have been saved if people set a selling price. MELI and Lulu lost about 20% along with others.

Members don't see this ad.

So do you have a price target you want to sell at @owlegrad ?

I get the whole let it run thing but a lot of the fund could have been saved if people set a selling price. MELI and Lulu lost about 20% along with others.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Set it for $400.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Set it for $400.
I actually meant a limit order after a specific price above is reached .

I will put $400 in though if you want. I wouldn't be surprised though if it breaks $400 today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually meant a limit order after a specific price above is reached .

I will put $400 in though if you want. I wouldn't be surprised though if it breaks $400 today.

Oh I meant a stop loss for $400. It’s already over 400.

What happened to the people who bought cryptocurrency? Did you sell? Still holding? Bitcoin is @ $10,600. It peaked at $19,783 in 2017.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I meant a stop loss for $400. It’s already over 400.

Sorry I'm not communicating well.

I'm fine with $400 but I personally think this is still a good range to hold Tesla. I can't see another massive selling unless more not so great news comes out or the market as a whole sells off more.

I think selling at the more recent $440 to $450 range is a good target.

But $400 will possibly trigger soon it I put that in so have another stock in mind if you do want me to sell if it dips under $400

Sorry I'm not communicating well.

I'm fine with $400 but I personally think this is still a good range to hold Tesla. I can't see another massive selling unless more not so great news comes out or the market as a whole sells off more.

I think selling at the more recent $440 to $450 range is a good target.

But $400 will possibly trigger soon it I put that in so have another stock in mind if you do want me to sell if it dips under $400

Ok I get you. Put a stop loss of $375 so we can’t lose money this time and a sell order at $475. Sound good?

So I started using Bing instead of Google. Microsoft has a rewards program now that pays you to use Bing. I'm earning a couple $5 Target gift cards a month just from casual internet searches. I can barely tell the difference, to be honest.

So I started using Bing instead of Google. Microsoft has a rewards program now that pays you to use Bing. I'm earning a couple $5 Target gift cards a month just from casual internet searches. I can barely tell the difference, to be honest.

How active do you have to be? I think they had something like that a long time ago in 2009 or so. I'm so old.

It's 5 points for each search and 5250 points for a $5 gift card for Amazon, Target, or Walmart (among other choices). So a bit over 1000 searches or so? So that's, what, half a cent per search?

I've been doing it since some time in August and I'm at 11,000+ points already.

Dropping 10-20k cash (working liquid cash to pay bills) to Yotta savings. Moving away from Ally. It pays around 1.6-2% interest if you calculate your winning. That's better than (about 3x better) any bank out there.

If you don't use my code, Google any yotta referral code, at least you will get 100 free tickets to start vs. 0. Good luck peeps.

Referral link code: OTTO3

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dropping 10-20k cash (working liquid cash to pay bills) to Yotta savings. Moving away from Ally. It pays around 1.6-2% interest if you calculate your winning. That's better than (about 3x better) any bank out there.

If you don't use my code, Google any yotta referral code, at least you will get 100 free tickets to start vs. 0. Good luck peeps.

Referral link code: OTTO3
I've read about this and considered the move too. Read on the DoC website this excerpt too which could be a nice side effect tax savings:

From a tax perspective, they say that lottery earnings under $600 do not get reported, and over $600 will get a 1099MISC. The actual .2% interest would be reported separately on a form 1099INT

I've read about this and considered the move too. Read on the DoC website this excerpt too which could be a nice side effect tax savings:

From a tax perspective, they say that lottery earnings under $600 do not get reported, and over $600 will get a 1099MISC. The actual .2% interest would be reported separately on a form 1099INT
I just dropped 5k to start. Will deposit the rest of my emergency funds later.

Screenshot_20200927-164959.jpg

What are everyone favorite dividend stocks? Looking for conservative positions-- parents have a decent chunk of change in a high yield savings account, with the continued rate drops they are wanting to invest some in safer positions. They are retired (but have pension) so this is more of a back up fund.

I'd look into a dividend appreciation etf like VIG

Here are the numbers you've all been waiting for:

JPM: @wagrxm2000 -18.12
NVDA: @Sine Cura +$260.06
BA: @lane one -$74.20
MELI: @PharmDBro2017 +$125.13
SQ: @msweph +$335.36
T: @redfish955 -$7.43
TSLA: @owlegrad +196.63
PLNT: @mentos +$46.83
WMT: @PharmDminus +$58.34
AZN: @WVUPharm2007 -$36.64
ROST: @Momus +$106.20
NIO: @BMBiology +$226.78

Sold LULU: -$4.66
Cash reserve: $-108.71
Original fund: $11,000.00
Current total: $12,208.45

S&P 500 up 4.95%
DOW up 4.09%
NASDAQ up 6.77%
SDN up 10.99%

Because of a great trade by @owlegrad the fund actually made money with all other indexes going down in September.

This is what I wanted to happen, people make decisions when it's time to get out of a stock.

You may stick with your stock or trade, it's up to you.

Thanks for doing this. Didn't know we were supposed to trade until recently.
@owlegrad is the one im thinking is gonna beat me out, shortly
Let me ask you this, if you had extra money, would you buy Square right now?

I haven't decided if I'm going to do it next year or not but I will be starting fresh if I do.

It'll be interesting seeing if people buy the top performers again.

S&P 500 up 4.95%
DOW up 4.09%
NASDAQ up 6.77%
SDN up 10.99%

Because of a great trade by @owlegrad the fund actually made money with all other indexes going down in September.

This is what I wanted to happen, people make decisions when it's time to get out of a stock.

You guys can do a much better job of losing his money. Disappointed.

I'll keep carrying you all.

S&P 500 up 4.95%
DOW up 4.09%
NASDAQ up 6.77%
SDN up 10.99%

Can I change to APPL?

No thr low of the day. We only want absolutely the best price

Hmm well you have two options at open or at 1:30 eastern during lunch break

Sure, at the open. Premarket looks hot right now. I'm sure you'll be up by 10am.

Order is in

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended the day in a sell off

Sure, at the open. Premarket looks hot right now. I'm sure you'll be up by 10am.
Planet fitness was sold at 62.26 for a $61.11 gain

Apple was bought at the high of the day of 117.72 and is already down 1%

• Wow
Planet fitness was sold at 62.26 for a $61.11 gain

Apple was bought at the high of the day of 117.72 and is already down 1%

LoL PLNT is at 63.65 now.

Did you do a market order? Yahoo finance shows it opened at 117.02.

Should have chosen ETSY or PINS instead!

Last edited:
LoL PLNT is at 63.65 now.

Did you do a market order? Yahoo finance shows it opened at 117.02.

Should have chosen ETSY or PINS instead!

Yeah market order, it probably didn't fill right at open.

I don't normally buy stocks at open due to volatility, interesting how I was the last person to get a buy order executed.

Tesla is at 448, want a stop anywhere below @owlegrad or am I letting it run?

I'm personally putting one in at $440, pretty satisfied with my gains.

Trump tested positive for covid-19. Gonna be a red day today.

Just hope this ****er isn't dying, stocks gonna get hit big time if he ded.

His positive test had the highest possible score. He's going to have the greatest recovery ever. It's gonna be great. Yuuuuge.

Yesterday was green, today will be red. The market moves based on news, not financials. What has fundamentally changed between yesterday and today? Nothing. It's all BS.

Excellent opportunity to buy if we get a few consecutive sell off days.

Assuming Trump lives.....

That would be one hell of a dip to buy. Biden being president is already priced into the market being that he's up 7 points nationally and is at about 80% odds to win the EC. Nothing would effectively change long term. Buy buy buy.

No that’s fine I just wanted to check.
I cancelled my own too but I'm contemplating it.

If we get back to $440 I'll probably get out for awhile.

Kind of morbid to ask this question but be honest: how much does the stock market drop if Trump dies? My parents have lived through a presidential assassination and a resignation. I've never seen anything like that. I have a feeling my generation will panic.

Kind of morbid to ask this question but be honest: how much does the stock market drop if Trump dies? My parents have lived through a presidential assassination and a resignation. I've never seen anything like that. I have a feeling my generation will panic.

I personally think there would be a couple of days down then people will realize he wasn't winning anyways and his term was already practically over.

The markets are assuming Biden wins.

That would be one hell of a dip to buy. Biden being president is already priced into the market being that he's up 7 points nationally and is at about 80% odds to win the EC. Nothing would effectively change long term. Buy buy buy.
where are you seeing he has 80% odds? Bookies and Vegas have it at 50/50

It's going to be an interesting Monday. We could be down 5% premarket.

At least he walked to the helicopter.