The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NIO earnings report is on 11/17, let's see!

Every EV is on steroids now. NIO, XPEV, LI, BYDDY, SOLO, KNDI, WKHS, FSK that's all I can think of.

They're building their own little bubble that isn't sustainable - everyone is FOMOing based on TSLA ("oh, NIO will totally be worth $1000/share in 2 years and I'll retire").

I don't know when the bubble is gonna pop but I hope I see it coming.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My original plan for NIO was to sell my initial investment if it ever doubled in price. Well I passed that window a long time ago and just can’t bring myself to sell any. Hopefully I don’t regret that in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
yall should buy a stock called AVEO.
basically a penny stock but the FDA will approve/deny on their drug in late march 2021. If approved I think the stock will be worth 40-50$, an upside of about 9x. its been an 8-9 year long journey to get to this point.
I got in at 4$ and have held for over a year. ready to sell for long term capital gains in april 2021.
really just posting this here to brag in a few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
basically a penny stock but the FDA will approve/deny on their drug in late march 2021. If approved I think the stock will be worth 40-50$, an upside of about 9x. its been an 8-9 year long journey to get to this point.
I got in at 4$ and have held for over a year. ready to sell for long term capital gains in april 2021.

I'm not a fan of pharma stocks. Gilead got FDA approval and its stock hardly moved. Pfizer had good vaccine news and the stock has gone nowhere just like the past 20 years.

A guy posted a pharma play in July. I've been watching it since and it hasn't moved.

I know a lot of people play the penny stock game but that's not my cup of tea.

I know it's not the same but marijuana stocks were huge just recently and they are all down big now.

Something is bound to happen to EV stocks at some point but you young'uns enjoy the gains for now.

Be careful with PLTR, there's already been a 17% movement in the stock today alone.

Huge swing coming after it reports.

Looks like you've given me a bunch more clinical trials to research. Aptevo pharma and Five Prime Therapeutics just had their day in the sun (literally this week if you want to check their tickers) because of promising onco meds - people hear "a cure for cancer" and go hog wild. Huge companies like Pfizer and Gilead bump a lot less because people expect them to be developing drugs. Look at what Pfizer did with their vaccine development - had that been one of the little $3/4 share companies they would have tripled overnight (and then fallen back down). These little biotech companies are 100% a gamble but when they pay off they pay off in spades. And when they lose, they lose hard (look at Triceda and AXGT - both had their clinical trials fall apart in the last two weeks and halved in value)

Edit - be careful with this one. Their data seems to suggest they're not different/better than current accepted standard of care for overall survival in RCC, and in the phase 1 for head/neck and pancreatic cancer their non-response rate seems to be nearly 70%. It's too high risk for me.

Last edited:
YOLO!

I am too chicken to invest in anything outside index funds. High dividend funds, mostly.

I invest in pharma/biotech and it is volatile and unpredictable as anything. This is coming from someone who made some good gains from KITE, REGN, and a few others but those are the few lucky ones.

Did you guys see what happened to Biogen BIIB last week? Last Wednesday, FDA documents showed that they were favorable about their new Alzheimer's drug so the stock went up 40%. Then trading was halted all day last Friday and the FDA officially announced that they voted against approval, so the stock fell back down 40%. This is why I don't own any individual pharma/biotech stocks.

Be careful with PLTR, there's already been a 17% movement in the stock today alone.

Huge swing coming after it reports.

I only have 151 shares at $10.35 average. Didn't expect it to do this well.

I put 15 grand into NIO though, but waited a long time. If I had the balls to do it back in July when it was first discussed here, I'd be up almost 5x as much.

NIO, LI and XPEV are joined at the hip. LI reports tomorrow - if earnings are good then it will be a repeat of today.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My cost basis on Li is $25.55 - I tried to sell it a couple of days ago but set a price that wasn't achieved (it actually had dropped on me) - counting my lucky stars right now that was the case.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it too late to get on the LI train? I missed it when it was less than $20 +pity+

There is bound to be a pullback.

"NIO’s 50-day moving average will be in the $30 range soon. That is one place the stock could go until other catalysts kick in. NIO has one big catalyst coming, when it reports earnings on Nov. 16.

Li reports earnings Friday morning. Its 50-day moving stock price average will be in the mid-$20s soon. That’s where XPeng stock’s 50-day moving average will soon be, too. The 50-day moving average of any stock price changes as stock prices change each day."

My cost basis on Li is $25.55 - I tried to sell it a couple of days ago but set a price that wasn't achieved (it actually had dropped on me) - counting my lucky stars right now that was the case.

Congrats! Did you get XPEV too?

Did PTLR really not move at all?

• Hmm
What do you mean? It was down 9% today.
After hours
I was wondering that too. It missed its goal badly, right? Do we have to wait for market open to see the full effect or what's going on?
It increased guidance though.

I assume we'll still see movement tomorrow after everything is digested and maybe some upgrades/downgrades

Congrats! Did you get XPEV too?

Nope, no XPEV. Couldn't bring myself to gamble on 3 Chinese EV's. I think you're spot on with the rest of this post, I'm going to sell all my Nio and Li after the Nio earnings release for Nio realizing this isn't sustainable. I did however buy FSR at 10.51/share.

Look at what SOLO did today - based solely on XPEVs earnings. SOLO released their earnings the day before and barely bumped because their business model doesn't look great... but they tagged in on the FOMO of XPEV.

Nope, no XPEV. Couldn't bring myself to gamble on 3 Chinese EV's. I think you're spot on with the rest of this post, I'm going to sell all my Nio and Li after the Nio earnings release for Nio realizing this isn't sustainable. I did however buy FSR at 10.51/share.

Look at what SOLO did today - based solely on XPEVs earnings. SOLO released their earnings the day before and barely bumped because their business model doesn't look great... but they tagged in on the FOMO of XPEV.

ARK never got NIO because they don't have their own factories and Cathy wasn't a fan of the battery swap, they preferred XPEV instead. I should have known XPEV would rip, ah well. I'm surprised by LI.

I can't imagine many people buying SOLO vehicles. They're so ugly and look unsafe just like the tiny smart car fad.

TSLA was not sustainable either so who knows how high these will go.

PLTR earning is pretty good this quarter. They beat the expectation. Hopefully I will get some more shares before it runs to 17.

I'm willing to invest in this company in the long run as I have my eye on them since last year. I was surprise when the stock was so cheap at the beginning.

Last edited:
NNDM took a dump, guess it's not ready to rip yet.

Another day, another all time high for NIO and PLTR!
how much $$$ have you made on both?

If I remember correctly, you own 200 shares of NIO... How many shares of PLTR do you own?

how much $$$ have you made on both?

If I remember correctly, you own 200 shares of NIO... How many shares of PLTR do you own?

Currently
483 NIO $31.63 average
151 PLTR $10.35 average

Planning on buying a little more of both today!

Also made some bad trades along the way.

LI and XPEV have exponentially higher gains than NIO this week, unreal.

Last edited:
LI was $24 on Wednesday. This morning it's $40 premarket, holy crap!

Ark owns XPEV?

No my bad. But this article explains why they don't have NIO.

Cathie Woods "What I can't understand is why consumers would want to accept a battery swap ...... If it were me, I'd certainly prefer to charge at home rather than go for a battery swap"

Uhh battery swap is just an alternative to a supercharger. 5 min swap vs 30-45min charge time. You can charge NIO at home too...

"While NIO currently leads the pack among China's EV players, Derek Lin, a portfolio manager at the Columbia Greater China Fund, prefers to bet on its rival XPeng (XPEV)"

Yeesh Li, Nio, CBAT and FSR all had good after hours. Looks like it'll be a good Friday and I'll be setting stop loss targets on the majority of my stuff.

Question for you experienced traders - I'm incredibly basic and trade primarily on Vanguard, and then with my FSA through Fidelity. If I set stop losses will those trade after hours if I'm otherwise not enrolled in the right type of account to do after hours trading? I don't think my Fidelity will let me because of the employer nature of the account, and I haven't "requested permission" through Vanguard.

You can charge at home? I didn't think that was possible for nio actually

Of course LoL. Can't depend on battery swap all the time, there's only limited spots available by appointment right now.

Yeesh Li, Nio, CBAT and FSR all had good after hours. Looks like it'll be a good Friday and I'll be setting stop loss targets on the majority of my stuff.

Question for you experienced traders - I'm incredibly basic and trade primarily on Vanguard, and then with my FSA through Fidelity. If I set stop losses will those trade after hours if I'm otherwise not enrolled in the right type of account to do after hours trading? I don't think my Fidelity will let me because of the employer nature of the account, and I haven't "requested permission" through Vanguard.
No, pre-market trading with Vanguard. They close early for after hours also.

If you wanna trade pre/after, use other brokerage.

SOLO up 43% wtf.

They're due for quite the correction one day soon. I read somewhere that their current profit margin on that little 3 wheel turd is -20%. And being that it's 3 wheels it doesn't get the federal EV credit. But who knows, maybe thinking like this is why I'll never be a millionaire haha

meteor.gif

• Haha
I bought 1400 CBAT today at 3.50 - I figure it's a 6 month hold to see if their tabless battery is the gamechanger in China they're anticipating.
I sold 2400 AXGT at 4% profit to do it - I bought thinking their stock would rebound more than it did.

Holy crap dude!

Too much penny stock talk going on. This becoming a gambling thread?

In other news, brought my average in BABA down to $270.

I dumped BABA LoL. Still falling.

I'd recommend anyone not in BABA to buy now.

Also I think everyone that bought NIO should thank BMB right now for tossing it down your throats.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd recommend anyone not in BABA to buy now.

Also I think everyone that bought NIO should thank BMB right now for tossing it down your throats.

Been thanking him this whole time!

Good lord this morning has been a rollercoaster. I woke up to being up 11% across my portfolio, 15 minutes ago I was up 2% and now I'm up 7%. And in the time it took me to find the Enron gif from the Simpsons I dropped 3% more

@wagrxm2000 is right, these penny stock swings are hard to watch.

enron.gif

Good lord this morning has been a rollercoaster. I woke up to being up 11% across my portfolio, 15 minutes ago I was up 2% and now I'm up 7%. And in the time it took me to find the Enron gif from the Simpsons I dropped 3% more

@wagrxm2000 is right, these penny stock swings are hard to watch.

View attachment 323047

It's easier when you're already up 50%.

EV in free fall thanks to Citron?

Who is buying?

EV in free fall thanks to Citron?

Who is buying?

ccv2l.jpg

They were nice enough to do their attack the week before NIO's earnings. Fingers crossed it rebounds next week.

In other news - FSR did very nicely for me today thanks to the short attack on the Chinese EV's

What the hell is a Citron? Sounds like what Goldman Sucks pulled in July, lowered the price target so they could load up themselves on the cheap!

Still up 30% at 41, can't complain.

I know next to nothing about these companies so not interested
I think if NIO gets back to 50 I'll trim the position. It's way too concentrated in the portfolio right now.

Bought a few NIO on the dip at $49 and $47 but it kept dipping haha. It's at 44 now, same price as Wednesday and Thursday. People overreacting.

I couldn't help myself and bought some NIO calls again . those will be sold prior to earnings

This mofo attacks stocks so he can short them and buy up shares before increasing target price. This crap should be illegal. He attacked Tesla when it was struggling.

"HONG KONG (Reuters) - U.S. short seller Andrew Left lost his legal bid on Tuesday to overturn a five-year ban from Hong Kong’s financial markets and a fine for market manipulation.

Left, founder of U.S.-based short-seller Citron Research, was banned in 2016 after he was found culpable of market misconduct in connection with the publication of a research report on Chinese property developer China Evergrande Group.

The Hong Kong Market Misconduct Tribunal also ordered Left to repay HK$1.6 million - around $206,000 at the exchange rate at the time - in profits made while shorting the stock."

Andrew Left of Citron did the same thing with Jumia stock. He called it a fraud and shorted it when it was $15. Then he accumulated shares on the cheap and all of a sudden said it's worth $100 and the stock soared. Citron is a scam short seller Jumia's Stock Surges To Close The Week After Citron Turn

There is a petition to investigate his ass! Everyone please sign. Sign the Petition