The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waves Shark GIF by MoneySuperMarket.com

Cartoon Hello GIF by Looney Tunes

Simba, you're back! Is the bear market over? I'm all in VTI as of yesterday, already up 1.58% đź‘Ť

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys typically front load your Roth contribution? Lump sum purchase or DCA throughout the year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Simba, you're back! Is the bear market over? I'm all in VTI as of yesterday, already up 1.58% đź‘Ť
Bear market not over until 2024. Near-term rally continues. 2023 will reward the wisest sellers

Those in love with call options should take a look at twilio and roku immediately for an intraday play

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Bear market not over until 2024. Near-term rally continues. 2023 will reward the wisest sellers

Those in love with call options should take a look at twilio and roku immediately for an intraday play
Selling before close today. Buying on dip tomorrow

+ $45,000 today tyvm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117_145032_Robinhood.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_145032_Robinhood.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 54
Selling before close today. Buying on dip tomorrow
Sold before close yesterday, avoiding today's market slip. Tyvm. But you bought the dip today, so what next?

Me: why, sell partial tmo (hint: days from now you're gonna get another rug pull)

🤣 the analysts on cnbc make me laugh. There's always gmfalcon though

This will be the bottom for months

Last edited:
Sold before close yesterday, avoiding today's market slip. Tyvm. But you bought the dip today, so what next?

Me: why, sell partial tmo (hint: days from now you're gonna get another rug pull)

🤣 the analysts on cnbc make me laugh. There's always gmfalcon though

This will be the bottom for months

My man, are you playing Tesla earnings next week? Call or put?

My man, are you playing Tesla earnings next week? Call or put?

I didnt know. I expect the market to inch upwards on a net daily basis or remain flat in the near term. What tsla will do depends on conditions nearer to earnings day

I have had my face stuck in Twitter for weeks now…. I do this when I go full WSB and caught the GNS wave today and rode the wave 200% with shares. I bought the shares last Friday at 40 cents and sold at 1.65.

Anyways - I’m 100% all in precious metals right now

Reactions: 1 users
I used to exclusively buy calls and puts. Using the baseball analogy, I was batting 0.100 with an occasional grand slam and tons of strikeouts. I swung for the fences nearly every time and struck out most if not all the time.

Now I sell calls and puts. Last year I batted over 0.900 with 1 homer and mostly singles/doubles. Since Jan 1, 2023, I am batting a 1000 with singles and a double. Going with this strategy has been my most successful side-hustle.

If monday is considerably green, very likely market will slip next week again

Fairly certain the bottom of yesterday will be the bottom for the first half of the year

Sell hour house your wife your stocks in march

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Fairly certain the bottom of yesterday will be the bottom for the first half of the year

Quoting for future reference

• Haha

I already sold my house last year - are you buying wives?

My wife selling threshold is somewhere around 500k or so…

• Haha
Thanks. I'm not sure why he's laughing considering his gains were negative last year 🤷
My gains this month alone is already higher than your gain in the past 2 years.. so yeah keep talking **** about tesla and comment on the stocks short term movement… you freakin idiot

We’re only one month into 2023 so far..

My gains this month alone is already higher than your gain in the past 2 years.. so yeah keep talking **** about tesla and comment on the stocks short term movement… you freakin idiot

Good job. Why so angry?

Thank you Powell for your speech today. Sold all my Tesla position (1040 shares at $194.25/shares). My ave price was 195 so I lost about ~$700. Feels pretty good considering I was down $26k few days ago when stock dropped to $166

Hope stock goes down in the next few days lmaooo. Ready to go back in

Valuation always matters and that's why I kept trying to drop my TSLA average price. I was all in at $260/share for 360 shares earlier this year and sold it at breakeven in may and was able to buy back in at $174/share. Not optimal but certainly nowhere near the top like a lot of people have (in the $300-$400). If I had been more patient and not deployed majority of my cash at that price I'd be sitting in the $145-150s now with DCA.. Oh well.. at least I am 20+ years away from retirement and don't need the money anytime soon...

My average price is in the lows $160s…

So let's summarize. You went all in at 260 and took a loss at 195. Then bought back in at 174. Then your average all of a sudden dropped to 160s. All while saying you invest for the long term and don't care about short term market movements. Oh and calling me names and refusing to post any screenshots. Now you're more green in the past 3 weeks than all of 2021-2022? Remarkable!

Last edited:

Calm down bro

mentos is a great contributor here.

Reactions: 2 users
Calm down bro

mentos is a great contributor here.
So let's summarize. You went all in at 260 and took a loss at 195. Then bought back in at 174. Then your average all of a sudden dropped to 160s. All while saying you invest for the long term and don't care about short term market movements. Oh and calling me names and refusing to post any screenshots. Now you're more green in the past 3 weeks than all of 2021-2022? Remarkable!
You freaking idiot keep being sarcastic… congrats on the 12k gain… again

This is not intended to u @Splenda88

Attachments

• 7E97D8D7-85BA-4CCB-A5FB-BBBC6D35F0FE.jpeg
    7E97D8D7-85BA-4CCB-A5FB-BBBC6D35F0FE.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 38
Hmm who to believe, the poster who will tell us in advance what he bought or the person who tells us after the fact how much they made?

Tough choice.
I wanted to play mentos’ game and justify my reasonings about tesla according to stock price short term price movement. I could care less about the gain now because I know it’s gonna go down again later that’s normal.

I care about long term.. stock moves up and down and side ways in the short term. Especially the fact that we have the fed hiking rates and doing QT. I said let see what happens and then he kept quoting my post and said “see what.. look at the stock price, etc.. you’re wrong.

He’s obviously been wrong about tesla so far.. He keeps using the analogy of his friends who can’t afford tesla and would rather buy an iPhone lol.. it’s ok tho they can get a model y now.. we got huge price cuts recently..

He said teslas valuation is more than those of all the automakers combined.. he obviously never seen the word “growth”. Every single ICE company is in DECLINE are in a lot of debt. Tesla has no debt and is sitting with lots of cash. Good enough margin to be able to still drop price and increase volume while maintaining profit. Their energy business is also killin it!. Megapacks… damn

Also ford sells more cars than tesla he said lol. Tesla sells more EVs than ford and GM and at a much higher profit…

Last edited:
Good job. Why so angry?
Not angry.. I’m happy the stock has gone back up actually.. I have been investing not too long ago so all time I’m still up only 10% especially after teslas massacre last month..

Diamond 🙌

I was up wayyy more all time back when Tesla was at ATH. Don’t worry we’ll get back there later and I’ll have a lower average price too..

Attachments

• 64D5E2DF-148D-4C07-9DF4-0CB82E592EA9.jpeg
    64D5E2DF-148D-4C07-9DF4-0CB82E592EA9.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 38
Not angry.. I’m happy the stock has gone back up actually.. I have been investing not too long ago so all time I’m still up only 10% especially after teslas massacre last month..

I was up wayyy more all time back when Tesla was at ATH. Don’t worry we’ll get back there later and I’ll have a lower average price too..

Congrats bro. So you're up 20k overall, that's awesome. Why bash my 14k gain last year then? Not that much different. Mine is tax free so it's almost the same. And why did you wait until Tesla was green this year to share? I have nothing to hide if my stuff is red.

Last edited:
Congrats bro. So you're up 20k overall, that's awesome. Why bash my 14k gain last year then? Not that much different. Mine is tax free so it's almost the same. And why did you wait until Tesla was green this year to share? I have nothing to hide if my stuff is red.
Because I know if I say something when Tesla is in the red you’re just gonna say look at the stock price. Trust me bro… I was up close to 6 figures earlier last year ALL TIME.. with a higher average price too..

All I’m saying is stock price can be disconnected from fundamentals in the short term..

Btw tesla fell 72% in 2022. Gained it all back in just the last month.. insane!!!

I bet most of the drop in late December and January is due to margin calls and retails capitulating. Institutions buying them cheap now.. and causing the stock to go up like crazy and make retail fomo again.. buy high sell low is their goal for us

24k now as i posted this

I’ll keep u updated since u care a lot about short term small gains

Attachments

• C786817B-54CA-4205-8C70-EFFA4F6C32C2.jpeg
    C786817B-54CA-4205-8C70-EFFA4F6C32C2.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 37
That’s today.. see you’re wrong about people
Not wanting to buy tesla.

Attachments

• 107FB521-EE16-434E-BD4C-A3E13F28B968.png
    107FB521-EE16-434E-BD4C-A3E13F28B968.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 38
Because I know if I say something when Tesla is in the red you’re just gonna say look at the stock price. Trust me bro… I was up close to 6 figures earlier last year ALL TIME.. with a higher average price too..

All I’m saying is stock price can be disconnected from fundamentals in the short term..

Cool man. But as we all know, it doesn't mean anything until you sell.

You know I was all in tesla and you asked me how I did in 2022 while showing your portfolio. Yes the stock crashed that year especially in December but most investors are definitely down in 2022. Every single tech stocks were down that year due to interest rate hikes and QT an risk of incoming recession.

Congrats that you were up in 2022 by shorting the market.. hope you sold them already…

You know I was all in tesla and you asked me how I did in 2022 while showing your portfolio. Yes the stock crashed that year especially in December but most investors are definitely down in 2022. Every single tech stocks were down that year due to interest rate hikes and QT an risk of incoming recession.

Congrats that you were up in 2022 by shorting the market.. hope you sold them already…

Thanks, I didn't hold my positions long. My nickname is paper hands.

Yup I already said the next strong support is $86.

More bad news.

Lol this aged well…

I care about long term.. stock moves up and down and side ways in the short term. Especially the fact that we have the fed hiking rates and doing QT. I said let see what happens and then he kept quoting my post and said “see what.. look at the stock price, etc.. you’re wrong.

So what are your other “long term” plays? Anything besides Tesla? Or are you a Tesla-Maxi?

For the record: I agree with you on Tesla, I think that’s a great stock to own long-term… but i personally wouldn’t put all of my eggs in that one basket.

So what are your other “long term” plays? Anything besides Tesla? Or are you a Tesla-Maxi?

For the record: I agree with you on Tesla, I think that’s a great stock to own long-term… but i personally wouldn’t put all of my eggs in that one basket.
I am not sure if your goal is to invest long term or trade and make profits here and there..

I think the indices(spy, qqq) have yet to bottom(it may go to October lows or even lower). So I would wait if you want to get in on those. I have yet to find any stocks(MSFT, GOOG, META, AAPL) that is still growing at a faster rate than Tesla so I think tesla still wins especially with its recent drop in stock price. All the value stocks I mentioned above are nowhere near their 52-week low so I don't feel comfortable buying those now..

Most growth stocks have already bottomed so I don't think they'll make new lows and a lot of times they bottom before the indices. The yield curve has been inverted which means that recession is imminent but the fact that inflation has been decreasing steadily gives the market the idea that a soft landing may be possible. The fed can act all tough and stuff by saying they gonna keep jacking rates and keep them elevated at a long time but I think they will try their best to make a soft landing and cut. I think the market smells BS coming from the fed.

That's just what I think and don't listen to me since I maybe wrong especially if TSLA goes back down again(which it may after this much gain in the past month). Mentos will quote me again and say I am wrong and he'll start pulling up articles like tesla semi breaking down on the side of the road... LOL I guess other car companies like BMW and Mercedes never enter the shop and have problems...

Overall I think just buy the freakin dip and hold. Anyways I may sell and rebuy again at lower price(not that i care about making small profits or if it ever drops again) for my sanity... I am gonna wait for February 1st and see what Jpow says and does. I think the market is expecting a .25 bp and that's what will likely happen.

Last edited:
Just amazing how many people hate tesla and love to spread fud..

Imagine seeing the stock price drops as you read this kind of crap. Recipe for capitulation…

I am not sure if your goal is to invest long term or trade and make profits here and there..

I think the indices(spy, qqq) have yet to bottom(it may go to October lows or even lower). So I would wait if you want to get in on those. I have yet to find any stocks(MSFT, GOOG, META, AAPL) that is still growing at a faster rate than Tesla so I think tesla still wins especially with its recent drop in stock price. All the value stocks I mentioned above are nowhere near their 52-week low so I don't feel comfortable buying those now..

Most growth stocks have already bottomed so I don't think they'll make new lows and a lot of times they bottom before the indices. The yield curve has been inverted which means that recession is imminent but the fact that inflation has been decreasing steadily gives the market the idea that a soft landing may be possible. The fed can act all tough and stuff by saying they gonna keep jacking rates and keep them elevated at a long time but I think they will try their best to make a soft landing and cut. I think the market smells BS coming from the fed.

That's just what I think and don't listen to me since I maybe wrong especially if TSLA goes back down again(which it may after this much gain in the past month). Mentos will quote me again and say I am wrong and he'll start pulling up articles like tesla semi breaking down on the side of the road... LOL I guess other car companies like BMW and Mercedes never enter the shop and have problems...

Overall I think just buy the freakin dip and hold. Anyways I may sell and rebuy again at lower price(not that i care about making small profits or if it ever drops again) for my sanity... I am gonna wait for February 1st and see what Jpow says and does. I think the market is expecting a .25 bp and that's what will likely happen.

I recommend selling. It seems to have gone up for no reason this week. I bought a put today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127-160859.png
    Screenshot_20230127-160859.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 51
Just amazing how many people hate tesla and love to spread fud..

Imagine seeing the stock price drops as you read this kind of crap. Recipe for capitulation…

Like the article says, Teslas are just synonymous with EVs like people call everything Q tip, Kleenex, Xerox, Jell-O, iPad etc.

That’s today.. see you’re wrong about people
Not wanting to buy tesla.

Mentos is paper hands
You can be small hands

They call me Simba here for a reason, no need TSLA

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127_192948_Robinhood.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_192948_Robinhood.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 52