The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone ever flown on Air India? Is it as janky as I imagine or is it relatively nice?

They have a nonstop roundtrip from Newark to London Heathrow for $486. Includes 2 checked bags, meal, and complimentary liquor/wine. And on the new 787 Dreamliner.

The next cheapest is a $590 flight on United. The airline where you can get bloodied and dragged off on the whim of a flight attendant.

Nonetheless, the too good to be true detector is going off. Why is this so cheap?
ALL Asian airlines have better service than their American counterparts, even their budget airlines are better than our regular airlines. It was a nice surprise the first time I booked an obscure Asian airline. I haven't looked back since. I've never flew with Air India, but as long as their safety record is good, then I wouldn't hesitate one bit to book them.

Members don't see this ad.

ALL Asian airlines have better service than their American counterparts, even their budget airlines are better than our regular airlines. It was a nice surprise the first time I booked an obscure Asian airline. I haven't looked back since. I've never flew with Air India, but as long as their safety record is good, then I wouldn't hesitate one bit to book them.

That's not always true. A lot of Chinese carriers are terrible. Not sure what to expect of our air india. Online reviews are incredibly mixed.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not always true. A lot of Chinese carriers are terrible. Not sure what to expect of our air india. Online reviews are incredibly mixed.

I have had decent experiences with Chinese ones lol what happened with you?

exactly Cebu airlines (philippines) is only good if you are under 5'8" - damn the seats are close together

Al Nipon - has horrible food!!!!!!! (well horrible if you are an american and don't like japanese food) - I don't trust seafood on a plane

Ptla win for me today!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I saw the FDA approval and checked their stock.. looks nice! Wish I had some of that instead of NEOS.

The only decent trade I've made lately was AMD. Everything else has been steadily losing or just barely moving ahead (ahem, Kroger..). This is why I usually give my money to an investing robot to determine what's best.

I saw the FDA approval and checked their stock.. looks nice! Wish I had some of that instead of NEOS.

The only decent trade I've made lately was AMD. Everything else has been steadily losing or just barely moving ahead (ahem, Kroger..). This is why I usually give my money to an investing robot to determine what's best.
Betterment or wealth front?

I personally use Vanguard coz I'm cheap lol.

Betterment or wealth front?

I personally use Vanguard coz I'm cheap lol.
Vanguard for sure. Most of my "investing" has just been through my retirement plan, but I've had some money just sitting in a savings account earning a whopping 0.01% interest rate that I've been putting into stable, steady companies.

I almost bought neos. No idea why it ripped with approval
didn't it go up like 55% today? I guess the downside was if the approval didn't come through - it was essentially worth zero

Vanguard for sure. Most of my "investing" has just been through my retirement plan, but I've had some money just sitting in a savings account earning a whopping 0.01% interest rate that I've been putting into stable, steady companies.
Which companies? I'm looking for ideas. I already have AMZN and GOOG but they've grown to a third of my stock investments (including index funds) so I really need to diversify.

Get an Ally Online Savings Account. They pay 1.05% interest. You could also buy bonds. I have Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index which yields 2.5%. But you have to time your purchases very carefully. If you buy them too high, any downwards movement in the price can easily wipe out the puny 2.5% yield and then some.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which companies? I'm looking for ideas. I already have AMZN and GOOG but they've grown to a third of my stock investments (including index funds) so I really need to diversify.

Get an Ally Online Savings Account. They pay 1.05% interest. You could also buy bonds. I have Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index which yields 2.5%. But you have to time your purchases very carefully. If you buy them too high, any downwards movement in the price can easily wipe out the puny 2.5% yield and then some.

Oh you just got some Amazon stocks? Got it in Dec 2014 when it was just $300.

And yes, selling WAG @90 proved to be right. It is just $76 today. Sad for WAG pharmacists.

Walgreens is up almost 3% today. I have met my 1 year limitation. I think 90 is a good selling price. I still have Amazon stocks and I will meet the 1 year limitation in December.

The longer the fed keeps rate at 0, the more risk it will take not just with one bubble but with multiple bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oh you just got some Amazon stocks? Got it in Dec 2014 when it was just $300.

And yes, selling WAG @90 proved to be right. It is just $76 today. Sad for WAG pharmacists.

I only started buying individual stocks last year after I paid off my mortgage and had tons of spare cash to invest. Yeah I thought I was late to the party on Amzn and goog but they've still gone up another 40% in less than a year since I bought them.

As for WBA, for the past few years I've been selling mine every time it hit $85-90. Then waiting for it to dip into the $70s-low 80s like now, then buying them back with an additional 10% ESPP discount. Rinse and repeat. This strategy has been quite profitable; enough to pay off my mortgage.

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question about rich suburban people.

So I've noticed this weird phenomenon. There are these small groups of middle aged men. They get dressed up in full regalia bicycle gear like they are in the tour de france. I'm talking skin tight shirts with sponsors on them, ridiculous shorts, expensive looking bikes. I mean to tell you these were bright yellow shirts with the USPS bird on them and they all matched each other. They even had matching wraparound sunglasses. And these fools will take up entire lanes of traffic on my road as they pretend they are professional cyclists racing each other. A line of pissed off people in cars trying to get to work on time behind them. This normally "regular" pisses me off because who the hell bikes down a semimajor thoroughfare...but it pisses me off even more because they just built this huge 4-lane extension on route 202 that includes a 20 mile bike path that they could play out their pretend time pro cyclist fantasies.

Anyway...

...is this a normal phenomenon in the uppity ass suburban world or are the people in my neighborhood just really ****ing weird?

I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question about rich suburban people.

So I've noticed this weird phenomenon. There are these small groups of middle aged men. They get dressed up in full regalia bicycle gear like they are in the tour de france. I'm talking skin tight shirts with sponsors on them, ridiculous shorts, expensive looking bikes. I mean to tell you these were bright yellow shirts with the USPS bird on them and they all matched each other. They even had matching wraparound sunglasses. And these fools will take up entire lanes of traffic on my road as they pretend they are professional cyclists racing each other. A line of pissed off people in cars trying to get to work on time behind them. This normally "regular" pisses me off because who the hell bikes down a semimajor thoroughfare...but it pisses me off even more because they just built this huge 4-lane extension on route 202 that includes a 20 mile bike path that they could play out their pretend time pro cyclist fantasies.

Anyway...

...is this a normal phenomenon in the uppity ass suburban world or are the people in my neighborhood just really ****ing weird?

I'll hang up and listen.
normal around here -

RAD up 26% today. Who here still has stock?
Man, I was thinking about putting a lot of money into this but I just didn't have the guts. Any idea when we are expecting to hear news on the merger? I might still get in tomorrow if the stock price isn't too high.

It can go 50/50. If you have the balls, go ahead and drop a couple thousand for a possible 50%+ profit at $6-6.50/share buyout or lose 40% by July 7.

Man, I was thinking about putting a lot of money into this but I just didn't have the guts. Any idea when we are expecting to hear news on the merger? I might still get in tomorrow if the stock price isn't too high.

I literally told my wife Friday I was wanting to buy RAD stock. I have wanted to buy it 3 times and everytime I would have made huge profits. First in pharmacy school when it was <$1 but alas, I didn't want to take extra student loan money out to invest. Then it dropped to $4 after reaching ~$8 and it spiked back up shortly after. And of course last week when on Monday we saw a 30% gain. I put my money on it this time, albeit a day late. If the merger happens (or the stock rallies to $6 before it's announced cuz I will be selling if so) it will be a big win.

Walgreens and Rite-Aid Just Pulled Off One Clever Deal, Despite Terminating Blockbuster Merger

Walgreens terminates full merger agreement with Rite Aid and just buys 2186 stores from them instead, leaving Rad with around 2300 stores. This new deal has nothing to do with Fred's.

I saw that this morning and have been trying to figure out what that means for RAD. Honestly, it seems like a pretty good deal still for them. Selling 48% of their stores for 57% (including 325 million fee) of original agreed upon 9 billion deal. But beyond that I really don't know. Probably gonna have to sit and hold the stock and hope it goes back up. I was going to sell today as I didn't want to wait on the announcement and have it be blocked. Always a day late and dollar short I guess.

I saw that this morning and have been trying to figure out what that means for RAD. Honestly, it seems like a pretty good deal still for them. Selling 48% of their stores for 57% (including 325 million fee) of original agreed upon 9 billion deal. But beyond that I really don't know. Probably gonna have to sit and hold the stock and hope it goes back up. I was going to sell today as I didn't want to wait on the announcement and have it be blocked. Always a day late and dollar short I guess.
RAD as pharmacy chain operator has just gotten a whole lot weaker. . They can't compete for sh1t. I wouldn't expect a turn around story anytime soon from them. Expect stock to tank even more unless there is a suitor to buy what's left of the company.

RAD as pharmacy chain operator has just gotten a whole lot weaker. . They can't compete for sh1t. I wouldn't expect a turn around story anytime soon from them. Expect stock to tank even more unless there is a suitor to buy what's left of the company.

That is what I am afraid of. I was encouraged that they can buy drugs at cost from Wags distributor for 10 years. I don't know how much that will help them though.

Maybe we see just how serious Amazon is about the pharmacy business.

I literally told my wife Friday I was wanting to buy RAD stock. I have wanted to buy it 3 times and everytime I would have made huge profits. First in pharmacy school when it was <$1 but alas, I didn't want to take extra student loan money out to invest. Then it dropped to $4 after reaching ~$8 and it spiked back up shortly after. And of course last week when on Monday we saw a 30% gain. I put my money on it this time, albeit a day late. If the merger happens (or the stock rallies to $6 before it's announced cuz I will be selling if so) it will be a big win.

I didn't know one could take out extra loan money to invest in stocks. You don't have to put that on your taxes? I thought about doing it a while ago but I thought it would get in the way of my grants...

I didn't know one could take out extra loan money to invest in stocks. You don't have to put that on your taxes? I thought about doing it a while ago but I thought it would get in the way of my grants...

Pretty sure you aren't suppose to. But I took out less than the maximum in loans and doubt they would have found out if I took out the max to invest. Who knows. I also didn't get grants save the local state scholarship for good grades that paid for tuition a few years and the reason I didn't max my loans out those years.

Did it buy RAD when it was 6? If you still own it, I would recommend selling it. It is not going to get any better. It owe debt up to its neck. It would have gone bankrupted if the fed didn't lower its interest rate to near zero during the Great Recession.

RAD is in no position to compete with CVS and WAG. Sell while you still can.

Did it buy RAD when it was 6? If you still own it, I would recommend selling it. It is not going to get any better. It owe debt up to its neck. It would have gone bankrupted if the fed didn't lower its interest rate to near zero during the Great Recession.

RAD is in no position to compete with CVS and WAG. Sell while you still can.

No I bought it in the high 3s and already sold it. Lost about 30%. I wanted to keep it but too much risk it would continue to drop and only hope was to wait years or have another merger offer

My leftover cash is getting larger by the day, my networth is at all time high wtf... I really need some crash to put some uninvested money to work. Black swan event/flash crash, can I have it? I want a bear market for a yr or two, damn it!

Ally savings rate gets another bump, up to 1.15% now. How can other banks honestly offer 0.01%? Embarrassing.

Ally savings rate gets another bump, up to 1.15% now. How can other banks honestly offer 0.01%? Embarrassing.
They give you $200 for signing up and keeping the money there for 3 months to offset the crappy interest rates. You can make way more money moving 15k of savings around a few times a year than letting it sit at even 1.2% interest (GS bank now)

My leftover cash is getting larger by the day, my networth is at all time high wtf... I really need some crash to put some uninvested money to work. Black swan event/flash crash, can I have it? I want a bear market for a yr or two, damn it!

Market timing is a no, no.

Market timing is a no, no.

Cash going up to about 10% of my networth now. Keep building spare cash even with half my paycheck going straight to Vanguard... Guess I have to spend more lol

Cash going up to about 10% of my networth now. Keep building spare cash even with half my paycheck going straight to Vanguard... Guess I have to spend more lol

So you've lost out on over $10k being out of the market? Ouch.

Reactions: 1 user
CVS might be the stock to buy with us taking Anthem again next month

Another chipotle food scare! Down ~40 since last week, just as I was looking to get into it....might be another good time to buy low??

WTF are you going to do with your billions?

I hope no one owns cmg. While sure it could go back up, earnings may drop this another 10% if they lower their outlook.

Anyone investing in lithium? I picked up some of the LIT etf this week. I'm just so nobody pharmacist, but I feel like there could be long term gains here. It seems like every day I'm seeing a news article about some country legally mandating electric vehicle sales by 2030, or how global lithium demand is going to skyrocket due to China's growing electric vehicle fleet.

Today Tesla will deliver the first production Model 3 vehicles. Let's hope this kick-starts the trend that will pay for my vacation home.

Can I brag that my individual stock picks made 48% the past two years?
Most people investing in individual stocks aren't putting enough capital at play (40k-200k/stock) to make it matter in meaningful way anyway but let me guess a bunch of tech stocks? Hope institutional investors aren't tired of that sector. I'd be very afraid if my portfolio is concentrated on a bunch of FANG like stocks. Are you thinking you will get 48% every yr? Usually, it looks good until it doesn't.