The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Take a gander at this:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/02/11/myra-helping-millions-americans-save-retirement

MyRA is just the beginning, the camel's nose under the tent.

"Other proposals to help Americans save for retirement...the Auto-IRA...Removing inefficient retirement tax breaks for the wealthy."

Annoying because:

1. The reason 2/3 of retirement fund tax breaks go to wealthy because they actually have some extra money to put away
2. Just because these individuals are successful why should they pay for the majority of the taxes? They made great choices, some people making squat could have chosen to not make squat and go into a different career
3. "Top 20% of earners" dips down into the pharmacist realm potentially. Physicians already can't deduct for IRAs if they make so much, granted they can do backdoor roth iras for now. Take away 401k deduction and their is no reason to use a 401k. Why keep taxing those who are keeping us alive?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No telling where this short squeeze may go. We are indeed living in interesting times in this grand financial experiment. Even the major producers announcing writedowns due to the 2013 drop are catching a strong bid. The bad news is behind us. Amazing how there is not a word in the MSM about what's unfolding. For those that have positions prepare to have your hair set on fire.

2. Just because these individuals are successful why should they pay for the majority of the taxes? They made great choices, some people making squat could have chosen to not make squat and go into a different career

To put it simply; to avoid plutocracy. That and their "wealth" is typically from them "taxing" those that made them their wealth too much themselves. The efficiency of workers has gone up over the last 30 years, yet compensation has stagnated. Without something to work against a wall of financial leverage, you get massive inequality, which makes the economy run less efficiently.

Thankfully the stupid people in Washington are starting to realize that the problem with the economy is lack of demand from a working class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been trying to track down what actually happened with this debt ceiling resolution. Can't seem to get a straight story. This might help.

I've been trying to track down what actually happened with this debt ceiling resolution. Can't seem to get a straight story. This might help.

I like the peaceful music and scene to calm your nerves while he lays out the eventual collapse of our economy.

Watching Au, Ag ascend, $ hanging on to a 80 handle barely, oil up, stock futures down, Australian miners up. Even though US market is closed tomorrow, most of the miners trade on TSE and CVE. Since the uptrend started, Newcrest on the ASX has been a solid indicator of how the sector will move the next day especially early in the week.

I found a good youtube channel whose videos are sober and thoughtful.

Watching Au, Ag ascend, $ hanging on to a 80 handle barely, oil up, stock futures down, Australian miners up. Even though US market is closed tomorrow, most of the miners trade on TSE and CVE. Since the uptrend started, Newcrest on the ASX has been a solid indicator of how the sector will move the next day especially early in the week.

I found a good youtube channel whose videos are sober and thoughtful.

Sober, really. Looks more like the exact opposite to me....

The mean time. I just want to know if you are mentally challenged or what? This subject is about anything but Gold. Why are you posting here when we have thread all about Gold. The people here don't want to discuss gold and that is why this thread was started, so we don't have to clutter up our discussion about money buy listening to in the insane rantings of the Gold freaks. After everything you say comes true, come back say I told you so. Until then STFU or post in the other thread.

How is everyone's stocks doing this year? Lol

How is everyone's stocks doing this year? Lol

I posted about GFA a few months back. Went from $2.40 to $3.40 in that span. Volume and momentum is looking good. $4 in the near future, $10+ by Olympics in 2016.

I am down 0.2%. All stocks. No bonds

down 1.4%. 100% in stocks. S&P500 down 1.2% YTD, plus little more on the international and tech portion of the portfolio.

I have an extra $15k to put to use -_- hope it crash a bit more. 10% down please! Gonna buy small cap value to rebalance back to target allocation if it does :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an extra $15k to put to use -_- hope it crash a bit more. 10% down please! Gonna buy small cap value to rebalance back to target allocation if it does :-D

have you ever cashed out when it goes up? or buy and hold?

When people on a pharmacy forum are telling you to get 100% in stocks or are telling you to wait for a little correction after the run we've had then it is time to cash out.

When people on a pharmacy forum are telling you to get 100% in stocks or are telling you to wait for a little correction after the run we've had then it is time to cash out.

What you just said has no practical value.

I'm dead even...0% YTD.

Okay I lie, my YTD loss in absolute terms is $30.74.

My value fund is +0.15%, I'm 10% in treasuries and those are +9.24% YTD, the rest of my funds are -1-2%.

So in respect to Thomas Piketty's new book (tl;dr, some French dude puts into paper what I've been saying for years about wealth stratification and the death of labor, people in the US call him a genius. They could have just listened to me back in like 2009, but, hey, whatever.)

I find it interesting in respect to investing and where the Dow is right row. While its been going up, up, up against a seemingly sluggish economy...this book has proven that the vast amount of newly generated wealth is going to the investing class. Could it be that the stocks really are worth what they are worth and aren't inflated? If 90% is going to the 1%...why wouldn't the stock market look like its boom times? It *is* boom times for most corporations.

Also, supply side economics pretty much got disproven by the book. I actually read the damn thing. The first half is a fantastic takedown of classic right winged econ theory. And I mean decisive. If you believe that rising tide lifts all boats bull**** after the evidence in this book, you are an effing ******. The second half sucked. He went on with a bunch of half-assed "how to fix it" theories like introducing a world-wide tax. Ha ha...right...not gonna happen, Frenchie.

I find it interesting in respect to investing and where the Dow is right row. While its been going up, up, up against a seemingly sluggish economy...this book has proven that the vast amount of newly generated wealth is going to the investing class. Could it be that the stocks really are worth what they are worth and aren't inflated? If 90% is going to the 1%...why wouldn't the stock market look like its boom times? It *is* boom times for most corporations.

I haven't read Piketty's book, but have read enough reviews to have a decent idea of what he suggests. I am not sure you can use his data (which had more longer term relevance) as strong evidence for what is relatively a short-term occurrence. These couple of years may just be a blip in the bigger picture.

How have your 401k's been performing this year? Mine is up only 3.74% year-to-date as of May 1.

Y to Date -0.02% ahah not doing so good this year.
Net expense ratio 0.40%

Last edited:
WAG $69.87 (+42% from 5/7/2013: $49.19)
CVS $75.90 (+30% from 5/7/2013: $58.54)
RAD $7.71 (+206% from 5/7/2013: $2.52)

you invest in all three retails? Rite Aid is killing it!

My taxable portfolio needs rebalancing -_-;

The damn Small Value Cap is -1.88% off target allocation. I do hope Russell Index goes down even more tho before I put more money in a day or two. I also have a bit too much in bonds... hopefully my next buy in will put everything back to target allocation.

Why do you have anything in bonds? How old are you?

Why do you have anything in bonds? How old are you?

30 this year LOL. It's a psychological safety net to make me feel good if stocks goes down. This portfolio already behaves like a 100% all stock allocation due to overweight in emerging market (2x normal) and small cap value stocks (3x normal). If I don't have any bonds it actually behaves like 110% stocks volatility.

you invest in all three retails? Rite Aid is killing it!
No, I only own WAG. Just trying to be unbiased and put them all up. Yeah Rite-Aid is a real turnaround story!

TSLA down to $186 in afterhours trading.

No, I only own WAG. Just trying to be unbiased and put them all up. Yeah Rite-Aid is a real turnaround story!

TSLA down to $186 in afterhours trading.

Damn I own everything you listed here~! :-D

My allocation (retirement fund):

10% emerging market
25% international market
25% small U.S caps
15% med U.S caps
25% large U.S caps

I also have a sizable investment in my company's stocks.

So someone explain to me the 25-29 labor participation rate. It's been declining since 1998. And the rate of decline is pretty constant, even through the decline and then increase through the recession. Why is this.? It isn't just "I've given up on a job." It was going on for a decade prior to the recession.

I consolidated my stuff today, Vanguard Admiral Shares are the shizz (gotta love expense ratios of like 0.05). My core account looks like this now:

1/3 S&P 500 Index
1/3 Extended Market (small/mid-cap)
1/3 Value Index (large cap value)

I finally eliminated that sliver of long term treasuries sitting in my account, I figure the jig is up with that.

I need to diversify into a broad international fund...I'll do that later this summer once I move money around.

Also debating going back into bond funds (~10% of portfolio) but w/ corporate/shorter terms in anticipation of rate hikes. I might forego altogether and buy some munis directly.

My other brokerage account is all over the place. I've got about $20k in REIT's, $30k in a big pharma ETF (killed it the past few years), and $20k in energy. I'm kind of sector happy.

I'm debating liquidating all of those sector funds and just plowing them into my low cost/broad core funds I first listed and letting the portfolio go on autopilot for a while. I really don't have time to keep up with all of this.

I consolidated my stuff today, Vanguard Admiral Shares are the shizz (gotta love expense ratios of like 0.05). My core account looks like this now:

1/3 S&P 500 Index
1/3 Extended Market (small/mid-cap)
1/3 Value Index (large cap value)

I finally eliminated that sliver of long term treasuries sitting in my account, I figure the jig is up with that.

I need to diversify into a broad international fund...I'll do that later this summer once I move money around.

Also debating going back into bond funds (~10% of portfolio) but w/ corporate/shorter terms in anticipation of rate hikes. I might forego altogether and buy some munis directly.

My other brokerage account is all over the place. I've got about $20k in REIT's, $30k in a big pharma ETF (killed it the past few years), and $20k in energy. I'm kind of sector happy.

I'm debating liquidating all of those sector funds and just plowing them into my low cost/broad core funds I first listed and letting the portfolio go on autopilot for a while. I really don't have time to keep up with all of this.

So, 30/30 large/large value + 30 blend small+medium, that's reasonable. You just need to add some international there to gain exposure to sweet Euro, Japanese, and Canadian companies. Don't forget to add a sliver dose of emerging market (BRICs) also. I only have about 30% international. My rationalization to keep mine at 30% is because S&P 500 already does a LOT of business internationally (think of Coke, McDonald, KFC, Exxon, Apple, Nike etc). Most of these brands already make more money than they make domestically in US. There is really no reason to jack it up to 50%. Some investor like to keep it 50/50 tho, which I think is unwise.

Energy is already around 10% in S&P 500. I'd get rid the sector funds altogether.

I don't like REITs in Taxable, on average REITS has 3.8% dividend payout. So, it's very tax ineffecient in taxable account at 28% tax bracket. I have all my REITS in Roth IRA. That's why I don't buy any taxable bonds either. I only buy Vanguard CA MUNIs. It has an average of 6 years duration (medium interest risk).

Last edited:
Does anyone think it is good to invest a large amount in their own company stock? I mean WAG and CVS are very successful and will eventually dominate the retail market. Why not hitch on for the ride? Could it even be seen as an alternative to directly owning an independent pharmacy?

On the other hand, they say you should not put more than ~10% of your portfolio in a single stock. Sure, if the company goes south, you could get wiped out on your investment and lose your job.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone think it is good to invest a large amount in their own company stock? I mean WAG and CVS are very successful and will eventually dominate the retail market. Why not hitch on for the ride? Could it even be seen as an alternative to directly owning an independent pharmacy?

On the other hand, they say you should not put more than ~10% of your portfolio in a single stock. Sure, if the company goes south, you could get wiped out on your investment and lose your job.

Any thoughts?

I would because of the employee discount and they are pretty stable. It also depends on when you can sell it.

If you are concerned about risk, sell it on the first eligible day.

I typically advise people to avoid voluntarily buying into their company stock because now you're dependent on one company for 1) your income and 2) your retirement. The key to stability is diversification, it's like a married couple both working in biotechnology is inherently less stable than having the husband work education and the wife work in biotech.

Worst case scenario, you end up unemployed AND broke at the same time.

If you can obtain stock at a discount, take BMB's advice and sell once your lock-up period expires. Most of my friends that work at Twitter did so on day 1 (which caused their stock to drop big time, whoops).

30 this year LOL. It's a psychological safety net to make me feel good if stocks goes down. This portfolio already behaves like a 100% all stock allocation due to overweight in emerging market (2x normal) and small cap value stocks (3x normal). If I don't have any bonds it actually behaves like 110% stocks volatility.
Definitely shouldnt be having any serious amount in bonds at 30. Your r-value of your portfolio is unrelated to that argument. If you are a true buy/hold situation for long term, shouldnt be concerned with bonds at age 30 at all. Volatility of portfolio doesnt have to be 1 or really close; just the rewards has to outweigh the risk. Most people are unwilling to take any risk though :)

Did anyone jump on the riteaid bandwagon before they exploded? Damn, they went from like $1.5 to $7. Sheesh

Definitely shouldnt be having any serious amount in bonds at 30. Your r-value of your portfolio is unrelated to that argument. If you are a true buy/hold situation for long term, shouldnt be concerned with bonds at age 30 at all. Volatility of portfolio doesnt have to be 1 or really close; just the rewards has to outweigh the risk. Most people are unwilling to take any risk though :)

Did anyone jump on the riteaid bandwagon before they exploded? Damn, they went from like $1.5 to $7. Sheesh

10% is serious amount LOL. Check what a 90/10 with heavy tilt to SCV vs 10o/0 does to your portfolio return, then get back to me. Why don't you dump all your money to SCV then? Heck make it triple leverage SCV. If you aren't concern about volatility, that's what you should do. Best returning assets 42%/year!

10% is serious amount LOL. Check what a 90/10 with heavy tilt to SCV vs 10o/0 does to your portfolio return, then get back to me. Why don't you dump all your money to SCV then? Heck make it triple leverage SCV. If you aren't concern about volatility, that's what you should do. Best returning assets 42%/year!
Fancy terms doesn't equal wisdom. Anyone who wants you to put a lot of your money into bonds at a very young age isnt a very good investor. Sorry to pop the bubble. I'm not arguing with you; I'm flat out telling you you are wrong. 10% aint the end of the world though and is pretty reasonable (esp for most people) :p

Fancy terms doesn't equal wisdom. Anyone who wants you to put a lot of your money into bonds at a very young age isnt a very good investor. Sorry to pop the bubble. I'm not arguing with you; I'm flat out telling you you are wrong.

You haven't hang around in investment forum long enough. Too bad if you can't understand any of it. You are a ***** if you think 100% stocks is good for EVERYONE at 30. That much I can tell you.

You haven't hang around in investment forum long enough. Too bad if you can't understand any of it. You are a ***** if you think 100% stocks is good for EVERYONE at 30. That much I can tell you.
Sorry that you are an idiot. For most people bonds gives them the stability they need (especially since they aren't good with managing money anyways). I'll take all your bond money at what 2-7% and return 40%+ per year on it. Just issue your money to me at that rate. I'll give you that return, then pocket the rest. That's what bonds are: stable income. Thats why professionals want people to slowly add more to their profile. Reading investing forums doesn't make you a pro. For a lot of people, they should start to get some bonds in the timeframe that you are talking. For real investors that are buy/hold longterm, they shouldn't be looking for bonds at that early of an age, except as a hedge shorterm. Yes, a pro will want you holding more bonds and around that amount for most people at age 30. MOST PEOPLE ARENT INVESTORS. THEY PUT MONEY IN FOR RETIREMENT AND WANT A STABLE RETURN WITH ALMOST NO RISK. Thats where bonds come in. Real investors aren't interested in ~5% return on their money. That is WAY low if you know how to make money.

Sorry that you are an idiot. For most people bonds gives them the stability they need (especially since they aren't good with managing money anyways). I'll take all your bond money at what 2-7% and return 40%+ per year on it. Just issue your money to me at that rate. I'll give you that return, then pocket the rest. That's what bonds are: stable income. Thats why professionals want people to slowly add more to their profile. Reading investing forums doesn't make you a pro. For a lot of people, they should start to get some bonds in the timeframe that you are talking. For real investors that are buy/hold longterm, they shouldn't be looking for bonds at that early of an age, except as a hedge shorterm. Yes, a pro will want you holding more bonds and around that amount for most people at age 30. MOST PEOPLE ARENT INVESTORS. THEY PUT MONEY IN FOR RETIREMENT AND WANT A STABLE RETURN WITH ALMOST NO RISK. Thats where bonds come in. Real investors aren't interested in ~5% return on their money. That is WAY low if you know how to make money.

Tell me something I don't already know then maybe I will change my mind. I still hold bonds. That's why I call you a ***** because you think everyone needs 100% stocks just because he/she is young. I guess I am right to call you that LOL... Read about risk tolerance. Everyone is different. In investing, the biggest enemy is yourself. Know thyself.

Sorry not trying to be mean, I think we are comparing apples to oranges in a sense. For normal people saving for retirement, 10-15% bonds (and increasing with age) is highly recommended to stablize the portfolio. I don't view that as being an investor; I view that as retirement investing, under which most people are willing to assume essentially 0% risk. That is as opposed to true investing. So yeah, getting 10-15% bonds would be the proper advice for most people :) You pegged that one right on!

Did anyone hear about that kiser strike? Is that still on?

Tell me something I don't already know then maybe I will change my mind. I still hold bonds. That's why I call you a ***** because you think everyone needs 100% stocks just because he/she is young. I guess I am right to call you that LOL... Read about risk tolerance. Everyone is different. In investing, the biggest enemy is yourself. Know thyself.
I dont think everyone needs 100% stocks. I'm not apologizing to someone who accepts 5% or <5% return. You are essentially saving "I'll take this low return! I can't find/create more than 5%!" For me, that would just be unacceptable. For most people, bonds are definitely advisable, and they provide stability for retirement. I didnt say people have to hold 100% stock, nor 100% stock when they are young. Just saying that the best investors wont take 5% return or less on 10-15% of their portfolio at a young age( that is a cripplingly low return). But then again if you only buy index funds and have no idea how to actively manage stocks, bonds/index funds are your best friend.

Last edited:
I dont think everyone needs 100% stocks. I'm not apologizing to someone who accepts 5% or <5% return. You are essentially saving "I'll take this low return! I can't find/create more than 5%!" For me, that would just be unacceptable. For most people, bonds are definitely advisable, and they provide stability for retirement. I didnt say people have to hold 100% stock, nor 100% stock when they are young. Just saying that the best investors wont take 5% return or less on 10-15% of their portfolio at a young age( that is a cripplingly low return). But then again if you only buy index funds and have no idea how to actively manage stocks, bonds/index funds are your best friend.

LOL attacking passive funds... here is what I have to say... err the pro has to say. These people are IDIOTS according to you ;-D It's ok I am following idiots. You are better than these people.

"In every asset class where they are available, Index! Four of five funds will fail to meet or beat an appropriate index." Frank Armstrong, author, financial adviser

"There can be no question that indexing for most categories of taxable investors and for most marketable conditions, will outperform conventional active management." Robert Arnott, CEO First Quadrant

"The surest way to make money in the stock market is not to work very hard at it. Don't try to outsmart the market; settle for matching it. Put most of your money in an index mutual fund." Gary Belsky, author

"Indexing virtually guarantees you superior performance. Bill Bernstein, author & financial adviser

"The closest thing to a sure thing is that the Wilshire 5000 index will outperform actively-managed funds by l.5 to 2 percentage points a year over a sustained period." Jack Bogle

"With an index fund--the certainty of keeping up with the market is a very worthwhile trade-off for the possibility of beating it." Jack Brennan, Vanguard CEO

"It's extremely difficult to beat the market." Peter Brimlow, Forbes senior editor

"Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees." Warren Buffet

"Searching through a list of 234 domestic equity funds that have survived for 20 years, only 31 did better than the Vanguard 500 Index. That means the odds are really, really poor that any of us will do better than a low-cost broad index fund." Scott Burns, syndicated columnist

"Four years ago I was a fan of index funds. Today I am a true believer." Jonathan Clements, senior writer, Wall Street Journal

"Indexing is a marvelous technique, I wasn't a true believer, I was just an ignoramus. Now I am a convert. Indexing is an extraordinarily sophisticated thing to do." Douglas Dial, former CREF portfolio manager.

"The best plan for most of us, is to commit to buying some index funds and do nothing else." Charles Ellis, author

"It is basically impossible to beat the market." Prof. Eugene Fama

"I was not always an obnoxious indexing zealot. Ten years of believing in and selling active management strategies in the brokerage industry made me this way." Rick Ferri,CFA, author & financial adviser

"Buy and hold. Diversify. Put your money in Index Funds." Justin Fox, Fortune senior writer

"If it weren't for noise, 98% of investors would see what's going on and buy passive strategies." Ken French, researcher

"Index funds save on management and marketing expenses, reduce transaction costs, defer capital-gain, and control risk--and in the process, beat the vast majority of actively manage mutual funds." Good & Hermansen, authors

"Active portfolio management thus tends to generate lower returns and higher taxes." John Haslem, author, "Mutual Funds: Risk and Performance Analysis"

"When you realize how few advisors have beaten the market over the last several decades, you may acquire the discipline to do something even better: Become a long-term index fund investor." Mark Hulbert

"I recommend that the long-term buy-and-hold portion of your equity portfolio be invested in equity mutual funds." Sheldon Jacobs, author

"They're just not going to do it (beat the market). It's just not going to happen. Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Laureate

"Beating an index is no piece of cake anywhere in the style box." Russell Kinnel, Morningstar director of fund research

"Simple buy-and-hold index investing is one of the best, most efficient ways to grow your money. Michael Lebouf, Ph.D., author

: It's amazing to me that, by one estimate, only 14% of money is indexed in this country!! What a shame." Lynn O'Shaughnessy, author

"The fund industry's dirty little secret: most actively managed funds never do as well as their benchmark." Arthur Levitt, Chairman, SEC

"Most investors would be better off in an index fund." Peter Lynch

"The message of this book (Random Walk Guide to Investing) is that over time you will beat the results from most professionally managed accounts by putting regular savings into an investment program using index funds." Professor Burton Malkel

"Most people should simply have index funds so they can keep their fees low and their taxes down." Jack Meyer, CEO, Harvard Management

"I am somewhat skeptical about anyone's ability to consistently beat the market." Moshe Milevsky, author

"With the market beating 91% of surviving managers since the beginning of 1982, it looks pretty efficient to me." Bill Miller, portfolio manager

"You're smart to look for an index fund, as index funds based on broad market indexes have trounced most stock mutual funds over long periods." Motley Fools

Indexing is for winners only. Jane Bryant Quinn, author, syndicated columnist

"We should just forget about choosing fund managers and settle for index funds to mimic the market." Pat Regnier, former Morningstar analyst.

"Giving up the futile pursuit of beating the market is the surest way to increase your investment efficiency and enhance your financial peace of mind." Ron Ross, author and adviser.

"Most investors should simply invest in index funds."
Robert Rubin, Secretary of the Treasury

"The most efficient way to diversify a stock portfolio is with a low fee index fund." Paul Samuelson, Nobel Laurete

The S&P index benchmarks outperformed their active peer funds in all nine Morningstar style boxes over the past ten years." Gus Sauter (1-25-05)

"Invest in a stock index mutual fund. What a brilliant, ingenious, common sense idea that I can't take credit for, but can religiously pass along to those of you who want to unclutter your financial lives and own a sophisticated portfolio." Bill Schultheis, author

"Only about one out of every four equity funds outperforms the stock market. That's why I'm a firm believer in the power of indexing." Charles Schwab

"You should switch all your investment in stocks to index funds as soon as possible, after giving proper consideration to any tax consequences." Chandan Sengupta, author.

"Because active and passive returns are equal before cost, and because active managers bear greater cost, it follows that the after-cost return from active management MUST be lower than that from passive management." Wm Sharpe, Nobel Laurete

"For most of us, trying to beat the market leads to disastrous results." Prof. Jeremy Siegel, author

"The media focuses on the temporarily winning active funds that score the more spectacular bull's eyes, not index funds that score every year and accumulate less flashy, but ultimately winning, scores." W. Scott Simon, author

"The only consistent superior performer is the market itself and the only way to capture the superior consistency is to invest in a properly diversified portfolio of index funds." Rex Sinquefield, researcher.

"The smartest thing people can do if they want money in the equities market is buy an index fund that is run for 30 basis points a year and forget about it." Elliot Spitzer, NY Attorney General

"Just save regularly and consistently in obvious choices like index funds." Ben Stein, author

"It's just not true that you can't beat the market. Every year about one-third do it. Of course, each year it is a different group." Robert Stovall, investment manager

"Choosing actively managed funds is the triumph of hope over reason and experience." Larry Swedroe. author, financial adviser.

"Sensible taxable investors reach an obvious conclusion: Invest in low-turnover, passively managed index funds." David Swensen, Yale endowment manager

"With a very simple and basic understanding of index funds, you can consistently beat 70% to 80% of all professionally managed index funds." Tweddell & Pierce, authors.

"Index funds are perhaps the most underrated stock funds in existence." Eric Tyson, author of "Mutual Funds for Dummies"

"We find that on average, active management reduces a portfolio's returns and increases its volatility compared with a static index." Vanguard study

"My strongest commitment in the mutual fund arena is to index funds." Richard Young, editor

"Over the long-term the superiority of indexing is a mathematical certainty." Jason Zweig, senior writer for "Money"