The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This will die off once it's conceded it's wise to diversify into high risk areas.

If everyone put their money into index funds, this thread wouldn't be here.

No risk, no reward.

I'd be salty about investing in crypto too if I saw some of these people doubling (and then some) their initial investments in one days time, and I had not jumped on the profit train.

edit: I'm using Binance, what platform do you use and how do you like it?

Members don't see this ad.

No risk, no reward.

I'd be salty about investing in crypto too if I saw some of these people doubling (and then some) their initial investments in one days time, and I had not jumped on the profit train.

edit: I'm using Binance, what platform do you use and how do you like it?
I don't buy Bitcoin I just invest in gbtc. I don't like having a bunch of different platforms for investing. It was up like 28% yesterday and I'm getting close to another double since this argument started.

I don't buy Bitcoin I just invest in gbtc. I don't like having a bunch of different platforms for investing. It was up like 28% yesterday and I'm getting close to another double since this argument started.

That seems like the easier route for sure. May have to look into it if there is a pullback.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you all plan on giving Uncle Sam his? Crypto profit is considered a capital gain.

I got in earlier this year and have made a substantial profit - on paper. Bought IOTA on ICO and was about to dump it when it was at $0.16 a few months ago. I really do not want to give old Uncle Sam 25% but this sure feels like a bubble.

How do you all plan on giving Uncle Sam his? Crypto profit is considered a capital gain.

I got in earlier this year and have made a substantial profit - on paper. Bought IOTA on ICO and was about to dump it when it was at $0.16 a few months ago. I really do not want to give old Uncle Sam 25% but this sure feels like a bubble.

You pay your taxes as usual on investments or the IRS hunts you down...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol I file my taxes and pay it. I take this into account when I take profits. Part of the profits get put to the side.

You pay your taxes as usual on investments or the IRS hunts you down...

I'm aware. My conundrum is cashing out and giving Uncle Sam 25% versus holding on for dear life (HODL). I was prepared to hold until 2020, when the number of bitcoins mined reduces by half, but the bubble argument has merit given history tends to repeat itself.

I'm aware. My conundrum is cashing out and giving Uncle Sam 25% versus holding on for dear life (HODL). I was prepared to hold until 2020, when the number of bitcoins mined reduces by half, but the bubble argument has merit given history tends to repeat itself.

Unfortunately you are the type of person momus is talking about. Just don't be greedy or you'll get burned. Sell when you get to your goal.

FOMO crowd on this thread is real. I bet you I ask 90% here they don't know nothing how bitcoin works.

When random people start talking about crypto, we are in deep sh1t. I have seen it more and more clueless people suddenly jump into this due to FOMO. Hope they are all billionaires soon :)

Does the guy investing in lithium know how an electric car functions? Are 90% of Microsoft share holders windows experts?

Unfortunately you are the type of person momus is talking about. Just don't be greedy or you'll get burned. Sell when you get to your goal.

Save the judgment buddy. I was simply asking what other pharmacy crypto investors opinions were regarding taxable profit. Most of us are likely in uncharted territory.

Save the judgment buddy. I was simply asking what other pharmacy crypto investors opinions were regarding taxable profit. Most of us are likely in uncharted territory.

I meant no offense (for once) if it came off that way.

My advice was simply don't hold the bag like momus thinks most will.

Does the guy investing in lithium know how an electric car functions? Are 90% of Microsoft share holders windows experts?

Half of the people on this thread don't recommend investing in commodities or individual stocks, but even if they do lithium has many uses and MSFT is a company that makes lots of money. Bitcoin is not a functional cryptocurrency when it costs $20 per transaction, vendors are dropping bitcoin due to the transaction costs. I'm not saying there won't be a cryptocurrency that is widely used as a medium of exchange in the future, but it won't be bitcoin. Maybe it's ethereum or something else. You're gambling on which one it will be or if there will be one at all. If you can't picture an end game for bitcoin you're just relying on being able to sell it to someone else at a higher price (greater fool theory)

Reactions: 1 user
Half of the people on this thread don't recommend investing in commodities or individual stocks, but even if they do lithium has many uses and MSFT is a company that makes lots of money. Bitcoin is not a functional cryptocurrency when it costs $20 per transaction, vendors are dropping bitcoin due to the transaction costs. I'm not saying there won't be a cryptocurrency that is widely used as a medium of exchange in the future, but it won't be bitcoin. Maybe it's ethereum or something else. You're gambling on which one it will be or if there will be one at all. If you can't picture an end game for bitcoin you're just relying on being able to sell it to someone else at a higher price (greater fool theory)

Whew I wasn't the fool.

Members don't see this ad :)

Whew I wasn't the fool.

600% returns are foolish. The bitcoin transaction fees are a concern. I don't think people realize a charge drops just to transfer bitcoin from wallet to wallet.

Some view (including Charlie Lee - the creator of litecoin) bitcoin as a digital equivalent to gold. It's purpose will be to store value digitally. Currencies like IOTA and litecoin, which are much cheaper and faster to transmit, will serve as the transactionary cryptos.

I bought bitcoin back when it was 4k and made 6 months pharmacist salary from it. Now it is too scary. I bought few litecoins for 55$ and made profit but I believe we are going to have another big crash like the dotcom bubble. Crypto is basically new companies looking for investors and we know most of them will fail and few will remain with us for decades.

ImageUploadedBySDN1513195299.845860.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1513195316.542513.jpg

I'm not saying it has no value but you are buying just because "it continues to go up". That's the only reason people bought it in the first place this yr - frenzy buying due to fomo. I haven't seen 1 reason coming from any one of you why you did what you did. It's all just the principle of a greater fool. "Risk some $, It will go up and I'll make profit."

I'm not a sheep and I don't do FOMO trade just because media picks up on it. There is no real reason to be in it except FOMO. I invest my money slow and steady and it works well. I don't do a get rich quick scheme. Bragging gambling profit will help you convert the wanna get rich quick rphs to join your cause and you will make more profit!

Oh, for every post that bullish about crypto, there is another one like this. Speculate away. No one knows sh1t. Only time will tell. You might win big or lose big, it's only a couple months pay check/monopoly money anyway right? Good luck to all speculators/gamblers :)

Last edited:
I'm not saying it has no value but you are buying just because "it continues to go up". That's the only reason people bought it in the first place this yr - frenzy buying. I haven't seen 1 reason coming from any one of you why you did what you did. It's all just the principle of a greater fool. "Risk some $, It will go up and I'll make profit."

I'm not a sheep and I don't do FOMO trade just because media picks up on it. There is no real reason to be in it except FOMO. I invest my money slow and steady and it works well. I don't do a get rick quick scheme. Bragging gambling profit will help you convert the wanna get rich quick rphs to join your cause and make you will make more profit!

Oh, for every post that bullish about crypto, there is another one like this. Speculate away. No one knows sh1t. Only time will tell. You might win big or lose big, it's only a couple months pay check/monopoly money anyway right? Good luck to all speculators/gamblers :)

It's going up is the reason I buy into anything.

Sold out of my gbtc position today. It's moving too much away from Bitcoin movement this month.

Last edited:
You are letting the tax tail wags the dog.

Dam ripple up 400%. My map plan was if a certain coin went up 500% i would withdraw the original amount. If it went up 1000% i would withdraw half

Just wait till it gets added on Coinbase in 2018, it'll be over $10 in no time.

Coinbase is sitting at #3 on the top free apps list on itunes store, just wait until these alt coins are available to the general public. Ain't seen nothing yet imo.

When you hear you average friends are buying bitcoins = it is already too late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAHA...is BCs still a buy?!? This bubble has not burst yet but it is losing a lot of volume right now.

had a great market year in 2017. Boeing and caterpillar were my momo plays to end 2017. who would have thought that? my call options on those plays did fantastic. roku has become my biggest winner of the last 3 months, I'm currently out, but I've been playing large positions since 19. current watching to see if 50 holds as support so I can jump back in. took a loss this past week playing biogen. it jumped over 330 and I bought 3 calls, it had bad trial news the next dayand i lost 5 points which is amounted to a $1000 loss. such is the market. I didn't play bitcoin but I've been in the bitcoin stock plays: Mara, sq, dpw, ostk, and lfin. these have been good money, but risky. eagerly will be watching 2018, it looks like tech needs to consolidate for a while. I'm ready for a January pullback and will gladly play puts but so far we are just getting a rotation out of tech and not a correction. the trading biz doing well for me, I'm hoping to obtain a significant portion of my income from trading in 2018. My bigges t winner of 2017 was amzn. I played calls on amzn and had a huge return. options can be extremely lucrative when timed correctly. other than that I'm mostly trying to be a sniper right now and avoid making big mistakes that will kill my account. earnings season seems to be where I make my most money so I just have to be patient and wait for the market setups that offer the most volatility and highest potential trading returns. right now is quiet so there is no reason to play large positions, I am almost 100% cash right now waiting fornthe next market opportunities.

Last edited:
take a look at healthcare/pharmacy related coins too like Patientory. With our training we can better assess their likelihood of adoption/success.

BTC will recover briefly then down it goes

MJX ETF.... easy marijuana gains.

I sold my canopy weed stock and made a nice return. It been going up like crazy in the last week. People expect it to go up even more. I sold because there may be delays in Canada weed legalization in 2018.

Will there be a stock market crash in 2018 or tech stocks will keep going up like the usual? What do you think of the chances of a major correction?

The correction could have happened any of the past years and could happen at any point now. No one will know for sure unfortunately. I'm probably going one more year then protecting. I'll be at a level I'm satisfied with and won't want to lose half.

Will there be a stock market crash in 2018 or tech stocks will keep going up like the usual? What do you think of the chances of a major correction?

The stockholders and corporations will be keeping more of their earnings. It may very well go up more.

Or not.

Nobody really knows.

Dow 25k, thank you President Trump, we would probably be in a recession without you.

Goal is making 200k from the market this year, good start so far.

I've had pretty steady gains all week. How much more can this bubble expand?!

I'm also eyeing Intel after news of their security issue broke.

Trump is calling DOW 30k. That's the goal right now

Dow 25k, thank you President Trump, we would probably be in a recession without you.

The economy would probably be in the same spot it is today no matter who got elected. The first year of a presidency still mostly reflects the choices of prior decision makers on capitol hill, the white house, and the federal reserve...as well as external factors such as natural disasters, international geopolitical concerns, natural business cycles, etc.

Need some advice when it comes to investing with my HSA, as it is very new to me.

If I invest, say 3k of my HSA into some vanguard mutual funds, and an emergency happens and I end up needing that 3k in an urgent time frame. Do I just sell the shares and I get my money back +/- what ever I made? How quick is that turn around process (would I be able to sell it and have the money that day)?

Need some advice when it comes to investing with my HSA, as it is very new to me.

If I invest, say 3k of my HSA into some vanguard mutual funds, and an emergency happens and I end up needing that 3k in an urgent time frame. Do I just sell the shares and I get my money back +/- what ever I made? How quick is that turn around process (would I be able to sell it and have the money that day)?

Good question. I imagine that partly depends on who administers the HSA. Call them up and ask. I just keep like $25,000 in liquid assets at all times in the case something like that or any other crazy emergency happens. I try to never touch my HSA. Though CVS MAKES you keep $1,000 liquid in your HSA and only lets you invest money above $1,000.

The economy would probably be in the same spot it is today no matter who got elected. The first year of a presidency still mostly reflects the choices of prior decision makers on capitol hill, the white house, and the federal reserve...as well as external factors such as natural disasters, international geopolitical concerns, natural business cycles, etc.

Uh no, this has nothing to do with Obama. Without the thought of tax cuts which then went through, we would not be here. There were so many people calling for a crash if Trump won. If that happened would you still be saying it's the based on previous decisions? No you wouldn't

Just think of where we'd be if Bernie won. Dow 10k comes to mind.

Last edited:
Uh no, this has nothing to do with Obama. Without the thought of tax cuts which then went through, we would not be here. There were so many people calling for a crash if Trump won. If that happened would you still be saying it's the based on previous decisions? No you wouldn't

The stock market has been going up at about the same rate since the recession ended. It was around 8,000 when Obama took over and about 20,000 when his administration ended. Granted, I credit Ben Bernanke in the success of the recovery moreso than any president, but to say it "has nothing to do with Obama" is factually incorrect and absurd. If a crash happened in the first several months, then blaming on Trump would be complete nonsense. Completely blaming Trump on a recession that happened now would be silly, too. The only major spending or taxation bill he passed was less than a month ago.

If Bernie won...the Dow would still be about 25,000...because the GOP would still control both houses and, just like we saw with Trump in the White House, very little legislation would have passed and the economy would have done the same thing it did in 2017 -- float by on cruise control.

The stock market has been going up at about the same rate since the recession ended. It was around 8,000 when Obama took over and about 20,000 when his administration ended. Granted, I credit Ben Bernanke in the success of the recovery moreso than any president, but to say it "has nothing to do with Obama" is factually incorrect and absurd. If a crash happened in the first several months, then blaming on Trump would be complete nonsense. Completely blaming Trump on a recession that happened now would be silly, too. The only major spending or taxation bill he passed was less than a month ago.

If Bernie won...the Dow would still be about 25,000...because the GOP would still control both houses and, just like we saw with Trump in the White House, very little legislation would have passed and the economy would have done the same thing it did in 2017 -- float by on cruise control.

Everyone knows the reason the market has gone up is the thought of deregulation and tax reduction. Ever heard of buy the rumor sell the news? Now we move forward to see what else MIGHT happen and see how these tax cuts increase earnings reports.

There would be no rumors if trump didn't win.

This has nothing to do with trump. Obama has been great reducing 10% to 4%+ unemployment + Bernanke and Yellen with their helicopter money. As long as unemployment around 4% people will have jobs to buy junk, more earning. This yr, it will go up for another yr with tax cuts that's it. This yr corporate earning will look way better with tax cut. Stocks it's all about earning. I'm sure you think trump is the best president we have lmao. Thanks for 6 figure gains last yr. Stay the course.

Everyone knows the reason the market has gone up is the thought of deregulation and tax reduction.

Stocks are up because earnings have been ridiculous for a lot of companies. i.e...the economy is doing well. The confidence fairy can only bull**** you along so much. Amazon, alphabet, facebook, and apple crushing wall street expectations...that's what gives you real gain.

This has nothing to do with trump. Obama has been great reducing 10% to 4%+ unemployment + Bernanke and Yellen with their helicopter money. As long as unemployment around 4% people will have jobs to buy junk, more earning. This yr, it will go up for another yr with tax cuts that's it. This yr corporate earning will look way better with tax cut. Stocks it's all about earning. I'm sure you think trump is the best president we have lmao. Thanks for 6 figure gains last yr. Stay the course.

Exactly, you need earnings for the market to continue. Why do you think we stalled a few years back? There weren't earnings. Last year we went up based on what people thought was going to happen. Now we need to achieve this and look for the next rumor. Why do you think people always talk about expected earnings and not current?

It's not hard to understand.

Stocks are up because earnings have been ridiculous for a lot of companies. i.e...the economy is doing well. The confidence fairy can only bull**** you along so much. Amazon, alphabet, facebook, and apple crushing wall street expectations...that's what gives you real gain.

FANG is obviously momentum stocks. The rest of the market needs earnings or evaluations will get too high and the bubble will pop. Trump has just helped us continue on with this bubble.

I fully expect it to pop before Trump is out of office. Well obviously it depends on what else he can do to keep it going for his entire 4 years.

For me, it's really weird when you have those stock market weeks where you make more sitting on your ass doing nothing...than you did the previous week when you were working your ass off 7 days in a row...

Capitalism is so stupid...lol...

Exactly, you need earnings for the market to continue. Why do you think we stalled a few years back? There weren't earnings. Last year we went up based on what people thought was going to happen. Now we need to achieve this and look for the next rumor. Why do you think people always talk about expected earnings and not current?

It's not hard to understand.
Not sure what consider stalling from dow 6000+ to 20k under money printing and low employment regime. Volatility in any given yr is normal. I haven't seen my index fund has any "stalling" due to earning miss. Earning has been growing all last yr and its not because of your trump. And, why do you think earning has been growing? Very low unemployment, cost cutting measures of corporates, and more productivity translate to more profit.

Without republican tax cut, I believe we would probably be around 22-23k (10%-12 up since last yr) right now, still not bad.

"In the short run, the market is like a voting machine, But in the long run, the market is like a weighing machine". It has nothing to do with news you think matter. Ultimately, it matters if businesses make more profit or not, the value the businesses provide to the mass, the substance.