The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice healthy correction, need more of these. Wall of worry is a good for the bulls. A lot of people are still afraid of the market. No euphoria yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm sure *most* people here would advise against rebalancing now, so when would be a good time to tidy up the portfolio?
And would I be crazy to buy 10K of S&P tomorrow?

STAY THE COURSE. HODL. DOW30K.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm sure *most* people here would advise against rebalancing now, so when would be a good time to tidy up the portfolio?
Buying tomorrow? If you have the money go ahead and buy. Put it to work. It's nice to be able to buy at a discount. I am fully invested all the time letting my IPS guide my action. We are close at correction level, tomorrow we are probably at it. I doubt it will turn to be a bad bear market, there is no catalyst to say it will drop 50% like the housing crisis. Economy is pretty strong domestically and globally. The market is just getting waaay ahead of itself. There haven't been a correction in a long ass time. It's a healthy correction at best. Typically, correction will last a couple months. If it is going to be a bear market, we will recover in 2 years on average. At this point, no one knows. Keep investing through ups and downs. Stay the course :)

Rebalancing... only if your investment policy statement (IPS) says so (i.e you have too much equity exposure that's off target from your asset allocation).

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks the economy is strong is only listening to the bulls.

well I guess the only other use would be to throw it into my remaining 45k balance mortgage, but I have FOMO when it comes to buying cheaper stock

Buying tomorrow? If you have the money go ahead and buy. Put it to work.

I think stocks are still expensive. I might jump in if they dropped another 10%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I was lucky to not be in XIV yesterday. I avoided it due to backwardation

I am sure our economy is in the crapper with 4% unemployment.

Dumb ass, why bet for low volatility forever... Drops is part of the game (spike in volatility) (I haven't read the article btw...).

Participation rate is still in the 60s, why work for minimum wage when the government will support you?

Oh and I agree on not betting on low volatility. See we have so much in common.

Last edited:
Participation rate is still in the 60s, why work for minimum wage when the government will support you?

Oh and I after on not betting on low volatility. See we have so much in common.
Stocks are by nature high volatility asset, only a dumb ass think we will never have a correction or bear market.

At least, he got to snort a lot of coke (just read the article).

Stocks are by nature high volatility asset, only a dumb ass think we will never have a correction or bear market.

At least, he got to snort a lot of coke (just read the article).

Unfortunately people are greedy, if I ever turned 50k into even half a million, I'd been out so quickly.

I'd probably would have been out after 100k lol.

Buying tomorrow? If you have the money go ahead and buy. Put it to work. It's nice to be able to buy at a discount. I am fully invested all the time letting my IPS guide my action. We are close at correction level, tomorrow we are probably at it. I doubt it will turn to be a bad bear market, there is no catalyst to say it will drop 50% like the housing crisis. Economy is pretty strong domestically and globally. The market is just getting waaay ahead of itself. There haven't been a correction in a long ass time. It's a healthy correction at best. Typically, correction will last a couple months. If it is going to be a bear market, we will recover in 2 years on average. At this point, no one knows. Keep investing through ups and downs. Stay the course :)

Rebalancing... only if your investment policy statement (IPS) says so (i.e you have too much equity exposure that's off target from your asset allocation).

Good call here Momus. Got Amazon at 1394. Up 52 today. I've been wanting to get that on a pullback. Also bought Boeing.

This is merely a correction in a bull market. Volatility which hasn't been here in years will be here in the short term. We'll see what the FED does. I think they went from 4 hikes to 2 with the action over the last few days. These 2 days together only rank as the 75th largest correction in history. Long term investors need not worry.

Explain why you think so?

Also... is anyone more bullish on Tesla after the current SpaceX progress?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The fact they are a pure growth company and would rather reinvest their earnings.

Maybe down the road they will but probably not anytime soon. Bezos aways wants to do more.

Who is planning to buy like crazy if the stock market crashes and retire afterward?

Reactions: 1 users
Corection is here. Now, will this turn to be a bear market (20%)? It's anyone guess. I'm buying every 2 weeks :) still 27 yrs til I'm 60.

Corection is here. Now, will this turn to be a bear market (20%)? It's anyone guess. I'm buying every 2 weeks :) still 27 yrs til I'm 60.

Lol the crypto comment was in jest.

What securities are you buying? Just index funds? List tickers.

I was actually at 30% cash and bonds before this drop so I've been using that money to DCA everyday this week back into index funds and some individual stocks. It was a time like this when I originally bought AMZN in the 700s and others, so I'm not that worried since it'll have to drop another 40% before I go into the red.

Now is always best time to buy diverse index funds, market always goes up eventually, if it didn't then we're all in deep doodoo anyway.

I have low 5 digits sitting in the G fund in TSP, hoping another few percent drop over next day or week and ill buy stocks and start rebuilding G fund for next correction

Is this the credit card thread? Thinking about a new one shortly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I just keep getting new ones for the bonuses, then throw them in the drawer since I only apply for ones without annual fees.

Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa $200 bonus after $1,000 in purchases
Wells Fargo Propel Amex 20,000 pts/$200 after spending $1,000
Fifth Third TRIO: I got $250 but looks like only $100 now
HSBC Cash Rewards $150 after spending $500
Capital One Quicksilver and Savor: $150 after spending $500
TD Cash Credit Card: This offer was mailed to me, $200 after spending $500
Barclaycard CashForward: Can't find it anymore but I got $200 after spending $1,000
Most Chase cards have bonuses but I already did them long ago and I think they limit you to 5 new cards/24 months

Good list up there pez. Always like to hear how others are churning with their CCs.

While the market is unstable, is anyone moving their 401k/403b funds around to more stable securities, money market funds, etc.? Thoughts? Advice?

Whoa what a week. I bought about 50k of index funds and a few individual stocks spread over the week. I still have some money in bonds in case it falls more next week.

Is buying bonds in a brokerage account a good idea? I'm 95% stocks, 5% cash. 401k and IRA is a different story but I don't have any bonds in my brokerage account.

Got some shares

Is buying bonds in a brokerage account a good idea? I'm 95% stocks, 5% cash. 401k and IRA is a different story but I don't have any bonds in my brokerage account.
There isn't really anything special about it. Can eek out a tiny bit more interest ~2.75% over cash. I just have bonds for times like these when I sell them to buy stock.

While the market is unstable, is anyone moving their 401k/403b funds around to more stable securities, money market funds, etc.? Thoughts? Advice?

You should be buying more now, not be a chicken sh1t when there is blood on the street.

Warren Buffet famous quote "Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful".

Reactions: 1 users
People seem to be freaking out over nothing. We are down 2% on the year, it's been 40 days. What's with all this talk of should I move money around and I just tossed X amount of money into the market? So you lost last months gains, big deal.

If the market doesn't go up after the tax cuts take effect, this market won't seem nearly as expensive.

Anyone here caught the falling knife that is GE?

What about buying F(ford) motor company at this price for the dividend, thoughts?

I would be fine getting into Ford. It's been stuck between 10 and 20 for a very long time. 10 is usually as low as it goes except during recessions.

GE could fall for awhile. Bottoms have been called and have yet to be right.

Anyone here caught the falling knife that is GE?

What about buying F(ford) motor company at this price for the dividend, thoughts?

I almost went to catch that knife when it was hovering around $17-18. Decided against it, and boy am I glad I avoided it.