The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who left the door open

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I restructured my roth to 35% small cap / 35% emerging markets / 30% mid cap. I'm going to ride this volatility all the way to the moon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear God, child! Tech stocks are poison now. The short vol trade is over.
VOO Top 10 Holdings (20.09% of Total Assets)
Get Quotes for Top Holdings
Name Symbol % Assets
Apple Inc AAPL 3.55%
Microsoft Corp MSFT 3.03%
Amazon.com Inc AMZN 2.40%
Facebook Inc A FB 1.84%
JPMorgan Chase & Co JPM 1.66%
Berkshire Hathaway Inc B BRK.B 1.63%
Exxon Mobil Corp XOM 1.53%
Johnson & Johnson JNJ 1.53%
Alphabet Inc A GOOGL 1.46%
Alphabet Inc C GOOG 1.46%

AMZN, TSLA, AAPL, MS, FB, GOOG, and others might not be around in the next few years.

TSLA has a good chance of folding, and who knows about Facebook, but you think Apple, Microsoft, and Google are going to go away? That's a long shot.

I'm willing to buy a single share of VOO in my Roth every two weeks. I'm sure the S&P500 will recover in the next 30 years.

AMZN, TSLA, AAPL, MS, FB, GOOG, and others might not be around in the next few years.

TSLA, maybe. Not going to discuss FB since we don’t know the depths of everything surrounding their scandal.

To say that amazon, apple, google are going away soon... you’ve got to be brain dead.

VOO and VOOG, thumbs up.

TSLA has a good chance of folding, and who knows about Facebook, but you think Apple, Microsoft, and Google are going to go away? That's a long shot.

I'm willing to buy a single share of VOO in my Roth every two weeks. I'm sure the S&P500 will recover in the next 30 years.

FB is just the tip of the iceberg. The spying that has been done on the public is downright unacceptable and there will be blowback. It's curious that Jobs resisted the NSA/CIA surveillance complex for as long as he could but when he finally succumbed he turned up dead shortly after so there was no going back for AAPL.

Don 't fall prey to this Bogle philosophy of being bailed out on a long enough timeline. Drawdowns during nasty bears really impact the total overall lifetime return. It's ok to put your biweekly 401k contributions into a dollar fund if you have one. It's ok to wait for prices to come to you and invest during undervaulations.

TSLA, maybe. Not going to discuss FB since we don’t know the depths of everything surrounding their scandal.

To say that amazon, apple, google are going away soon... you’ve got to be brain dead.

VOO and VOOG, thumbs up.

Haven't you noticed lately that something you did on one platform a day or week ago will come back to you on another platform as an advertisement, spam, or really creepy...a suggested video on your Youtube recommendations. This last one has really been bugging me lately. I think one time it was a movie I streamed on NF and out of the blue this odd video is recommended by Youtube on top of my homepage. What's up with that?

Haven't you noticed lately that something you did on one platform a day or week ago will come back to you on another platform as an advertisement, spam, or really creepy...a suggested video on your Youtube recommendations. This last one has really been bugging me lately. I think one time it was a movie I streamed on NF and out of the blue this odd video is recommended by Youtube on top of my homepage. What's up with that?

You don't think we all know that Google is tracking all of us? People could just use Yahoo Mail instead of Gmail. Bing instead of Google. But they don't...because they like how Google Now knows when that flight to Miami you have booked is going to take off based on info from your email...even at the cost of privacy invasion. Sure, the stock price is tumbling...but people are still using stupid ass Facebook. Because they are addicted to it.

Wow just wow. Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft are going nowhere anytime soon. Do you have any idea how much money Apple has? These companies know what they are doing. When new trends occur, they become the leaders. Amazon and Microsoft's cloud business could be it's own company bringing in around 20 billion in revenue per year. Apples service revenue could break 40 billion this year. Just for comparison, trv, a component of the DOW, made around 30 billion.

These companies are growing revenue so fast they will all have 1 trillion dollar market caps.

Stay out of the investment thread, you are clueless.

Wow just wow. Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft are going nowhere anytime soon. Do you have any idea how much money Apple has? These companies know what they are doing. When new trends occur, they become the leaders. Amazon and Microsoft's cloud business could be it's own company bringing in around 20 billion in revenue per year. Apples service revenue could break 40 billion this year. Just for comparison, trv, a component of the DOW, made around 30 billion.

These companies are growing revenue so fast they will all have 1 trillion dollar market caps.

Stay out of the investment thread, you are clueless.
AMZN thrives on these low interest rates and uncompetitive practices. MS on buybacks enabled by low interest rates. AAPL on the labor arb model that is being dismantled right now by the America First faction behind Trump.
The market caps have grown in large part to this stupid passive indexing which makes investors price insensitive.

You don't think we all know that Google is tracking all of us? People could just use Yahoo Mail instead of Gmail. Bing instead of Google. But they don't...because they like how Google Now knows when that flight to Miami you have booked is going to take off based on info from your email...even at the cost of privacy invasion. Sure, the stock price is tumbling...but people are still using stupid ass Facebook. Because they are addicted to it.

It's just not FB and GOOG. They are all doing it. More info will be coming out. More whistleblowers from the NSA. What they've been doing is storing all your data? If by chance you get uppity and run for office on a reform platform, guess what happens? NSA after pulling your control file, gives local law enforcement a "tip".

AMZN thrives on these low interest rates and uncompetitive practices. MS on buybacks enabled by low interest rates. AAPL on the labor arb model that is being dismantled right now by the America First faction behind Trump.
The market caps have grown in large part to this stupid passive indexing which makes investors price insensitive.

It's just not FB and GOOG. They are all doing it. More info will be coming out. More whistleblowers from the NSA. What they've been doing is storing all your data? If by chance you get uppity and run for office on a reform platform, guess what happens? NSA after pulling your control file, gives local law enforcement a "tip".

Like I said clueless.

If you want to make a point that the market is nearing the end of this bull market, everyone knows that. These companies however are going no where.

Like I said clueless.

If you want to make a point that the market is nearing the end of this bull market, everyone knows that. These companies however are going no where.

That's a rebuttal? Good sir, I demand satisfaction!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to have something to rebuke first. All you said was buybacks and low interest rates. Guess what? That isn't changing.

Interest rates will say something about that. Notice libor lately? And the tsunami of treasury supply coming? Who is going to fund this if trade is China is curtailed?

And so will bringing production back to Fortress America will take away those slave wages of which Apple has benefited.

Everyone should be buying the hell out of AMZN and Google right now. Every stock that Trump bashes comes back. I've been watching him do this for the last year and a half and have made money off of every stock he has attacked. He hit Amazon the same way about 5 months ago. Google, AMZN, Netflix and Apple are the modern day robber barons.

Thoughts on overfunded life insurance investment accounts? Have several peers that do them... doesn’t sound like the best option to me, personally.

What you guys say?

This isn't what you want to see on the first day of the quarter. Europe is closed today, too. If Asia doesn't recover tonite....those Feb 9th lows are not far away.

This isn't what you want to see on the first day of the quarter. Europe is closed today, too. If Asia doesn't recover tonite....those Feb 9th lows are not far away.

Do you ever contribute anything worthwhile?

Anyone who pays a minute of attention to the market should’ve seen the Chinese tariffs being imposed and known the market would dip today.

Do you ever contribute anything worthwhile?

Anyone who pays a minute of attention to the market should’ve seen the Chinese tariffs being imposed and known the market would dip today.

Amazing how the Boglers think every pullback is a dip. There are such things as secular bears that last for decades.

Amazon down 4.4%. Shew.

This idiot president starting a trade war for no reason...lmfao...

There is a reason. The USD is overvalued. Flyover country voted for him because of this. Only those in the dollar export business benefited in the status quo. No mistake why the most prosperous communities of the country are around DC. Exorbitant privilege, now more a burden. Little downside for the US population in aggregate for a devaluation.

John Scurci, Contrarian Hedge Fund Manager
John Scurci, Contrarian Hedge Fund Manager from The Ben Hobbs Podcast

Last edited:
Can there ever be a day when the president doesn't tweet?

The second quarter start for stocks is the worst since the Great Depression!

So Trump is about to continue Obama's policies on putting tariffs on foreign gov't subsidized goods. (ie LG washing machines, Chinese solar cells)

That damned Elon Musk let Tesla buy Solar City. I wish I could buy shares of Solar City. It seems pretty clear to me that, long, long term, an interconnected grid of individually owned solar cells plugged into the grid is where we will eventually be headed. Once the dust settles and we realize we are in a cold war with Russia, I think the government will try subtle means of waging economic warfare. Killing fossil fuels will be weapon number one. Those badass solar cell shingle roofs are awesome. Unfortunately, its tethered to Tesla. Whom I have less faith in. While they are originators...originators frequently get crushed under the weight of behemoths that parrot them. The Germans, Ford, and GM are starting to come to their senses and are developing some killed electric cars. I don't want to buy Tesla the car company...I want to buy Tesla the electric/battery/solar company.

For the Elon fanboys this one's for you. Enjoy!

What mutual funds or etfs do u guys suggest to invest in this market??
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund or VTI ETF to own everything weighted by market cap
or an S&P 500 Index Fund or ETF e.g. VOO for the top 500 large caps only
or Vanguard Growth Index Fund or VUG ETF for growth style stocks but they are still index funds with low expense ratios.

And just dollar cost average into them every 2 weeks no matter what.

Reactions: 1 user
I see Trump didn't learn his lesson and now he's doubling down on his stupid trade war. God what a ****ing *****.

So you'd rather we just continue doing the same thing and have a huge trade deficit?

What's going to happen is the tariffs won't happen and a new deal will be done.

The art of the deal, the man is a genius...... But I could be wrong and they will happen.

Kudlow said what???? They are going to do it. They will devalue all this debt. The fact China is willing to shoot itself in the stomach with this tariff on soybeans is a tell. They are prepping to kick the monopoly board in the air.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

So I don't recall if we have a separate thread for these offers or if we post them here but I found this and it seems way too good to be true:

Fifth Third Bank (US)

$250 for opening an account, making direct deposits of at least $500, and keep the balance >$500 for 60 days?! I can't believe they are just giving money away like that. For comparison I wanted to do the Suntrust $500 promotion (Checking Account Bonus - Earn up to $500 | SunTrust) but no way I am going to let $25,000 sit around doing nothing for 90 days just to get a 'puny' $500 (You don't need the 25k to get the bonus but you will get fees if you let your daily average balance drop below that).

But let $500 sit around for 60 days to get $250?! Hell yeah, sign me up!

So I don't recall if we have a separate thread for these offers or if we post them here but I found this and it seems way too good to be true:

Fifth Third Bank (US)

$250 for opening an account, making direct deposits of at least $500, and keep the balance >$500 for 60 days?! I can't believe they are just giving money away like that. For comparison I wanted to do the Suntrust $500 promotion (Checking Account Bonus - Earn up to $500 | SunTrust) but no way I am going to let $25,000 sit around doing nothing for 90 days just to get a 'puny' $500 (You don't need the 25k to get the bonus but you will get fees if you let your daily average balance drop below that).

It looks like you have to take the $250 dollar coupon to one of their physical locations to redeem. They only seem to be in a handful of states.

It looks like you have to take the $250 dollar coupon to one of their physical locations to redeem. They only seem to be in a handful of states.

I think you can also open an account and call them and give them the code. If you get the coupon emailed to you that is what it seems to indicate. Regardless I happen to have a location reasonably close so even if I have to go in it won't be a deal breaker for me (sad for others though if they wanted to get the deal).

Fifth Third Bank (US)

Yep I opened an account there. You do need a $1,500 minimum balance to avoid the $11 monthly fee. DD of $500 only reduces it to $8.

Last year I got $250 from Wells Fargo, $350 for HSBC which has very few branches in the US, $150 from Santander, and $200 for a Capital One 360 checking account.

Reactions: 1 users
Those bank bonuses are pretty common. I used to do them all the time before I made RPh money. The only catch is that they're taxable, unlike credit card bonuses.

Seems like too much effort for around 4 hours pay ( depending on location).

Yep I opened an account there. You do need a $1,500 minimum balance to avoid the $11 monthly fee. DD of $500 only reduces it to $8.

Last year I got $250 from Wells Fargo, $350 for HSBC which has very few branches in the US, $150 from Santander, and $200 for a Capital One 360 checking account.

I knew there had to be a catch! Although even having to keep $1,500 is pretty reasonable for that reward. I have had to keep more for less.

If you think opening a bank account is harder than 4 hours of labor you either have the worst bank in history or the best job in history. ;)

I didn't mean it like that, I meant why does a pharmacist need $250?

Oh and it's definitely the latter.

I didn't mean it like that, I meant why does a pharmacist need $250?

Oh and it's definitely the latter.

Well at the risk of getting rhetorical, why does anyone need anything? LOL

I never used to bother with these promotions until I saw them here. Then I thought "why not?" and it turns out they are very easy. I can justify buying Farcry 5 for example when the bank literally gave me the money for practically doing nothing (I mean I was going to have some money in the bank anyway, why not let them pay me for it?).

But to each their own, I don't judge people who are happy with their current bank and have no interest in the "hassle" of managing multiple accounts (although it really is very little 'hassle' at all as it turns out).

Fifth Third Bank (US)

None in CA. Free $250 o_O I want! 1hr work for that droools...

None in CA. Free $250 o_O I want! 1hr work for that droools...

I really do think you can get it. Put in your email and look at what they send. It says Apply Online and call us with the code (unless of course being able to go to a branch is a necessity for you).

I really do think you can get it. Put in your email and look at what they send. It says Apply Online and call us with the code (unless of course being able to go to a branch is a necessity for you).
Maybe I'll try it. I used my old apt NY address for an online account for Santander $225 bonus. Once I got the bonus I changed the address back to CA and closed the account.

I can't imagine what you guys would do for money if you weren't pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't imagine what you guys would do for money if you weren't pharmacists.

Personally I would be selling my body for money. But not very successfully I bet.

Should we be lighting cigars with $100 dollar bills? How much free money would it take to get you open an account with a bank?

Also if you have $250 sitting around you don’t want, I’ll be happy to take it off your hands. :)

So you'd rather we just continue doing the same thing and have a huge trade deficit?

What's going to happen is the tariffs won't happen and a new deal will be done.

The art of the deal, the man is a genius...... But I could be wrong and they will happen.

This is almost laughable. You can only play the same game plan so many times.

Personally I would be selling my body for money. But not very successfully I bet.

Should we be lighting cigars with $100 dollar bills? How much free money would it take to get you open an account with a bank?

Also if you have $250 sitting around you don’t want, I’ll be happy to take it off your hands. :)

Probably a couple thousand.

If you want $250, I could use someone to do the spring cleaning around here.

This is almost laughable. You can only play the same game plan so many times.

Um... Exactly?

Pretty sure you just agreed with me right?

Sorry spring cleaning is too much work for me! Plus I have my own to do...

My wife would be extremely impressed and suspicious anyways.