The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The next 9 years! Even I'm not that bearish. I hope this isn't the case. Let's have a two-three year bloodbath then put in a bottom at Dow 5000.

Members don't see this ad.

What is on a central bank balance sheet that isn't a debt instrument? Hint: Most put it as line item one under assets. That's a big clue to it's role in a debt deflation.
gold
real estate
cash in your mattress
silver
bitcoin
pottery
large stone coins
corn
sea shells

gold
real estate
cash in your mattress
silver
bitcoin
pottery
large stone coins
corn
sea shells

RE can only be rented. One never really owns real estate. Try not paying your taxes and see what happens. And these municipalities with unfunded pension obligations, guess who they will be going after?

Cash...only have small bills. singles and fives.

Silver...American eagles and bullion bars that can be split.

Cryptos...all going to zero. Absolutely trash.

Pottery... keep your Ag in covered with sand

stone coins....good for sling shot. Guns attract zombies.

Corn...keep heirloom seeds, no Monsanto crap. Broccoli and cauliflower much easier to grow. Corn's a H2O hog.

Sea shells...sell like hotcakes on the seashore I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Truly epic numbers here. We have been in depression all along.

Monsato crap grows better and gives higher yields bro!
GMO's are the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does your dog itch like mad and have arthritis? It's the GMO grains in the dog food. That's why the market for grain-free has exploded.

The implications of this are stunning.
DcVv8noU8AAZKjP.jpg

.Analysts: US trade demands could make deal with China harder

And here we go. It's in the MSM news. For this to happen the RMB must strengthen and the USD weaken. The US Treasury, ESF, and BIS will have to take the boot off the neck of gold and let it fly. China long ago knew this day would come and that's why she's been accumulating gold like mad. The higher gold price will more than compensate for US Treasury losses. No more peg at 1350.
gandalf_vs_balrog_by_lukealagonda-d3c6gte.jpg

Last edited:
This guy is just spamming our investment thread with crap.

You have been wrong for the last 9 years. Why should anyone listen to you?

Don’t you work? It must be nice having all of this free time

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

.Analysts: US trade demands could make deal with China harder

And here we go. It's in the MSM news. For this to happen the RMB must strengthen and the USD weaken. The US Treasury, ESF, and BIS will have to take the boot off the neck of gold and let it fly. China long ago knew this day would come and that's why she's been accumulating gold like mad. The higher gold price will more than compensate for US Treasury losses. No more peg at 1350.
gandalf_vs_balrog_by_lukealagonda-d3c6gte.jpg
Carol is Alpha? Is that you???

Monsato crap grows better and gives higher yields bro!
GMO's are the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You’re being sarcastic? GMOS are widely proven to be safe, harmless, providing better yields with less pesticide needed, etc. They most certainly are the future... especially for feeding people in third world countries and elsewhere stricken by poverty and lack of food.

Please, let’s continue down this rabbit hole. If you’re non-gmo, you’re just as stupid as an antivaxxer, or pro-organic person.

Maybe we need to make a new thread, don’t want to clutter the investment thread with more of Carols nonsense.

You’re being sarcastic? GMOS are widely proven to be safe, harmless, providing better yields with less pesticide needed, etc. They most certainly are the future... especially for feeding people in third world countries and elsewhere stricken by poverty and lack of food.

Please, let’s continue down this rabbit hole. If you’re non-gmo, you’re just as stupid as an antivaxxer, or pro-organic person.

Maybe we need to make a new thread, don’t want to clutter the investment thread with more of Carols nonsense.

I am mocking him - I fully support GMO's - maybe that is because my parents grow them - if you want to feed the world you need gmo

Reactions: 1 user
I am mocking him - I fully support GMO's - maybe that is because my parents grow them - if you want to feed the world you need gmo

Word. I’ve seen you post enough to know that you’re educated and not delusional (carol... can’t say the same about).

Members don't see this ad :)
What a fun rollercoaster this week has been.

Sunday - China's president vows to increase imports from US to even the trade deficit
Monday - huge rally and my portfolio sours
Tues-Wed - the standard drop we have seen after every rally since January
Thursday - Whoops, we canceled the NK talks. DIVE, DIVE, DIVE.

So I found a new credit card I like I thought I'd share.

U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite® Card

US Bank Altitude Infinity Visa. 3x points back on all travel purchases as well as all purchases made via mobile wallet apps. $400 annual fee (yikes)...BUT...you get $325 in travel reimbursement. They also claim high point density (50,000 points is worth $750 in travel rewards). So while that annual fee seems steep up front, you get $325 of it back when the "card is used for purchases made directly from airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise lines." So that works out to be a $75 annual fee.

So let me get this straight...if I were to, say, get a newer Samsung with the magnetic stripe emulator (aka MST...if you use Samsung pay, it will let you use your phone like a magnetic stripe card...it's really neat if you've never seen it used before...)...I could just use that EVERYWHERE in person...use Android Pay for EVERYTHING online...So 3x points...times 1.5 point density...you can effectively get 4.5% cash back on everything.

Is there a glaring hole in my rationale here?

The downside is that you have to be a US Bank account holder. I'd literally have to drive to like Ohio to open a new account to become eligible. Which seems silly...but over time...that's potentially thousands of dollars.

I just moved $50k cash to Vanguard Prime Money Market funds, it pays 1.92% interest. It beats my old saving account Ally savings at 1.6% interest. This short emergency fund money represents <3% of my NW. I suspect it will continue to creep up slowly due to interest rate being raised by the feds. I need it to be super liquid (unlike CDs), and it still gives a pretty decent return. I do not ask for checks for this account because I don't want the routing/account number to be exposed to multiple outside entities because it doesn't have the same protection as bank/money market account (FDIC insured). If I need it in a hurry, I can transfer it back to the bank within 3 business days, which is a perfect place to store short term cash.

US Bank Altitude Infinity Visa. 3x points back on all travel purchases as well as all purchases made via mobile wallet apps. $400 annual fee (yikes)...BUT...you get $325 in travel reimbursement. They also claim high point density (50,000 points is worth $750 in travel rewards). So while that annual fee seems steep up front, you get $325 of it back when the "card is used for purchases made directly from airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise lines." So that works out to be a $75 annual fee.

So let me get this straight...if I were to, say, get a newer Samsung with the magnetic stripe emulator (aka MST...if you use Samsung pay, it will let you use your phone like a magnetic stripe card...it's really neat if you've never seen it used before...)...I could just use that EVERYWHERE in person...use Android Pay for EVERYTHING online...So 3x points...times 1.5 point density...you can effectively get 4.5% cash back on everything.

The downside is that you have to be a US Bank account holder. I'd literally have to drive to like Ohio to open a new account to become eligible. Which seems silly...but over time...that's potentially thousands of dollars.
Sounds like a great card for frequent traveler.

Last edited:
I woke up and did my monthly credit check. I was surprised to see my credit score was down 10 points. I guess my last student loan payment was finally made. A few years back...once I whittled it down to one group of loans that were only something like 2.55% interest, I just started doing the minimum. I guess it finally got paid off in full. When that loan closed, it shortened the length of my oldest account and nicked my FICO a tad. Funny how that works.

If I'd have followed ***** Dave Ramsey's advice, I would have made a whopping 2.55% return on investment paying down that incredibly cheap loan rather than the 15% annualized return I've gotten on the market over the last several years.

Credit Karma.PNG

Doesn't really matter to me because I'm not borrowing money anymore. But for anyone interested, I paid off my student loans in 2011, and paid off my mortgage in 2015, but they still show up on my credit report as closed accounts.

I try to listen to everyone and take the best things of what they have to say. For Dave Ramsey it was focusing on something and actually doing it, and don't get distracted with a debt fueled keeping up with the Jones's lifestyle. So I paid off all my debt and now I have lots of free cash flow to invest (~$5k/mo). Also I don't completely follow the Bogleheads index fund investing either since half of my investments are in individual stocks. It's really starting to snowball now at $650k total investments, which made $70k last year and $64k YTD. Hopefully in the next few years I'll be making more from my investments than my pharmacist salary :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Debt is great on the way up but it is almost unbearable on the way down.

I paid off my student loan debt after a few years of working as a pharmacist. After that, I started to take a lot of risk because I didn’t really need the extra income. It is just “extra”.

I am not saying you need to pay off your debt before you take risk. What I am saying is...everyone is different. You need to know your risk tolerance. No one has a crystal ball. No one can tell you what is going to happen 5 years from now or even 1 year. If you are ready for the good times, you better be ready for the bad times as well.

Know yourself and you will never go hungry.

Thanks, didn't know about this. Looks like it competes with Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum.

BTC is still a thing? I thought that was a get rich quick scheme fad.

Probably when they have their next ecoli outbreak. I just can't get into Chipotle. Ingredients are basically the same as Taco Bell, it's dark and drab inside and you sit on benches like a high school cafeteria. Millenials seem to love it though.

Probably when they have their next ecoli outbreak. I just can't get into Chipotle. Ingredients are basically the same as Taco Bell, it's dark and drab inside and you sit on benches like a high school cafeteria. Millenials seem to love it though.

The ones around me are pretty bright and cheery with a corporate-hipster sort of vibe. It's fast casual, so I'm not sure why you expect anything more than some booths and tables. And the food is better than Taco Bell. I think it's actually pretty damn good.

There's nothing better than some taco bell and ice cream for breakfast (or maybe some leftover Chinese). It's the one secret doctors hate patients finding out about about how to keep a slim figure.

Let's talk 529 plans... who has em?

Currently looking at USAA's 529 and their portfolio options, their best has a 8.16% return since inception, with 1.08% total annual fees... I assume Vanguard would be a better option but haven't looked there yet. Thoughts?

edit: AMD... I guess it was 2-3 years ago when I had a lot of AMD stock ~$4/share. Gotta love hindsight... hit $17 this week. :(

Anyone here have a position in IQ or HUYA?

Currently looking at USAA's 529 and their portfolio options, their best has a 8.16% return since inception, with 1.08% total annual fees... I assume Vanguard would be a better option but haven't looked there yet. Thoughts?

edit: AMD... I guess it was 2-3 years ago when I had a lot of AMD stock ~$4/share. Gotta love hindsight... hit $17 this week. :(

Anyone here have a position in IQ or HUYA?
You can get mutual funds that target certain sectors. https://money.usnews.com/funds/mutu...anguard-information-technology-index-fd/vitax

I just went with the one in my state, the Fidelity UFund. It looks fine so far. My wife has 401k and Roth IRA at Fidelity, so it's nice to have all 3 accounts in one place.

AMZN still going up and up and up

Better hope it goes down more, currently 3.33% ytd. On pace for 7% for s&p500. NASDAQ over 11%.

Big deal...add inflation, opportunity cost it is flat or negative. Besides, we are not talking about just the S&P 500.

Weren’t you the one who said 2018 is going to be the same as 2017 when it gained 30%?

Big deal...add inflation, opportunity cost it is flat or negative. Besides, we are not talking about just the S&P 500.

Weren’t you the one who said 2018 is going to be the same as 2017 when it gained 30%?

Um 7% is what you want to average. I guess average isn't good enough now? For me flat is end of year 2% or less.

Unfortunately there's too much noise happening right now. My goal has always been DOW 30k but we need things like North Korea, trade war, etc to settle down before anything happens. That's a 20% gain from these levels and is currently an exit point.

It has been a turbulent year for me. My non-retirement investments are in tech, batteries, and a broad market fund. Guess which of these is the only one to remain positive over the past six months.

It has been a turbulent year for me. My non-retirement investments are in tech, batteries, and a broad market fund. Guess which of these is the only one to remain positive over the past six months.
. With fuel, food, and interest rates down it has been the perfect storm for tech to thrive.

What is broad market fund? (jeopardy)