The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually like CVS right here. Trading below 9x consensus EPS. I think the Aetna integration was a good move and will payoff big in the long run. Plus the dividend yield is not to bad at 3.07%. Bought 300 shares at $65 yesterday.

Also bought 250 shares of JPM at $94 a few days ago.

Both long term holds.

Members don't see this ad.

I just won $200 on a scratch off lotto ticket, which means my gambling wins have officially performed better than my stock portfolio this year.

At least I learned a lesson about over leveraging into certain sectors.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually like CVS right here. Trading below 9x consensus EPS. I think the Aetna integration was a good move and will payoff big in the long run. Plus the dividend yield is not to bad at 3.07%. Bought 300 shares at $65 yesterday.

Also bought 250 shares of JPM at $94 a few days ago.

Both long term holds.

You are not worried about cvs mountain of debt?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys hold in tax advantaged accounts vs. taxed accounts? Everyone just VTSAXing both?

What do you guys hold in tax advantaged accounts vs. taxed accounts? Everyone just VTSAXing both?

My 403(b)/401(a) is 100% in a target-date retirement fund with a relatively low expense ratio.
Roth is in a couple Vanguard funds.
Taxable account is just play money where I've made some long-term bets that were doing very well in 2017 (wasn't everything?) and very poorly this year.

VEMAX, VSS, VTIAX, VTSAX, VSIAX

In both accounts same holdings?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
In 401k, I can only select basic Vanguard funds. No fancy funds like small cap value fund with my company.

Money is fungible. You can duplicate it or simplify it, it's up to you. Calculate the total % of each asset class. As long the total % on each asset class (taxable + tax deferred account) make up of the same % of your planned asset allocation, you are good. Just don't put bond/REITS like fund in taxable since they aren't very tax efficient.

$6k going to IRA tomorrow folks. Then, backdoor convert!

SPY will bounce around 250s range, then drop back to retest weekly lows at 225 (check weekly chart). RSI on weekly chart is not even oversold yet (at 39 right now). If 225 level doesn't hold, next retracement according to Fibonacci level can be dropping down to 175. Buckle up, folks!!!.. I was a raging bull, but not anymore. However, if you are a trader, bull or bear, you still make money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just won $200 on a scratch off lotto ticket, which means my gambling wins have officially performed better than my stock portfolio this year.

At least I learned a lesson about over leveraging into certain sectors.
2019 investment strategy: scratch-offs

In 401k, I can only select basic Vanguard funds. No fancy funds like small cap value fund with my company.

I was disappointed to learn that it's the same for CVS. I get access to the same funds they had before...as well as the addition of only Vanguard's target date funds. And that's fine. I'll probably transfer everything in my CVS 401k to a later-date TDF because those are basically VTSAX and VGTSX with a smidgen of bonds.

Up 0.13% gonna be a great year!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Apple is gonna drag the entire market down with them. Could get ugly.

It's an exciting time for someone just starting their career, though. Looking forward to buying these dips.

SPY will bounce around 250s range, then drop back to retest weekly lows at 225 (check weekly chart). RSI on weekly chart is not even oversold yet (at 39 right now). If 225 level doesn't hold, next retracement according to Fibonacci level can be dropping down to 175. Buckle up, folks!!!.. I was a raging bull, but not anymore. However, if you are a trader, bull or bear, you still make money.
Lol do you trade UGAZ/DGAZ or sometching? How many years have you been day trading?

I've been swing trading since 2015. This year, I officially learn about daytrading with a friend who is a professional trader. His account is insanely large. He makes consistent money daily ....like 3-5K/day. I papertraded for a month and now I am doing real money. I trade purely on chart/volume/price action/pattern, indicators. I cut my losses quickly and let my win run...So far it has been so good.

My ugaz name is for the event that I made my big money back in 2016....trading ugaz.

300k+ jobs, we're in a recession right?

Plus, what kind of jobs are these 300k+ openings? Certainly not pharmacist jobs.

Plus, what kind of jobs are these 300k+ openings? Certainly not pharmacist jobs.
Most are retail/service sector jobs and temporary jobs for holiday season. Likely, next month report will be a lot lower. We are probably hitting recession soon. These numbers are lagging. Watch unemployment rate ticking up too, guys...

Look at this bull market go, up 2% on the year

If we can just strike any kind of deal with China, it should be a good year. If bad news comes back, down we go again.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm currently trying to vamp up my finances but I'm a little unsure where to start. Ive been reading bogle's most recent investment book since I'm a beginner and have to do alot of learning. Any input would be appreciated. Snapshot of my current finances: I'm debt free-no loan, working on maxing out 401K and HSA and that is the extent of my investment. I've read some forum and there's some suggestions to taxable investment like vanguard brokerage 3 fund account. Also, my company offers some stocks for employees, but I have to look more in that too if its something worth buying.

I'm thinking of moving my money to a savings account, anyone familiar with barclay or amex savings atleast there is some interest rate there. My hours just got reduced so I haven't decided on exactly what to do. I would like to invest more but at the moment, I don't have the same income as before. No house or car that needs any payments, though I'm thinking of buying a new vehicle. Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated

Hi all,
I'm currently trying to vamp up my finances but I'm a little unsure where to start. Ive been reading bogle's most recent investment book since I'm a beginner and have to do alot of learning. Any input would be appreciated. Snapshot of my current finances: I'm debt free-no loan, working on maxing out 401K and HSA and that is the extent of my investment. I've read some forum and there's some suggestions to taxable investment like vanguard brokerage 3 fund account. Also, my company offers some stocks for employees, but I have to look more in that too if its something worth buying.

I'm thinking of moving my money to a savings account, anyone familiar with barclay or amex savings atleast there is some interest rate there. My hours just got reduced so I haven't decided on exactly what to do. I would like to invest more but at the moment, I don't have the same income as before. No house or car that needs any payments, though I'm thinking of buying a new vehicle. Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated

CVS or Walgreed that reduces your hours?

You can tilt to value, small cap if you want but 3 fund is solid pick. Keep it simple.

Go with Ally checking and 2% savings for day to day expenses. 12 months CD at 2.75%. You can also keep the majority of your cash in Vanguard prime money market, it pays 2.48%. I keep mine at Vanguard coz I like liquidity.

If the car runs, don't buy a new car. It's a complete waste of money.

That's almost exactly what I do. Month to month spending is in an Ally savings account getting 2.2% and the rest is in Vanguard prime money market. My IRA is now in 6 funds, all Vanguard: Total Stock Market Admiral, Long Term Corporate Bond ETF, High Dividend Yield ETF, US Growth ETF, Real Estate Admiral, and Prime Money Market.

CVS or Walgreed that reduces your hours?

You can tilt to value, small cap if you want but 3 fund is solid pick. Keep it simple.

Go with Ally checking and 2% savings for day to day expenses. 12 months CD at 2.75%. You can also keep the majority of your cash in Vanguard prime money market, it pays 2.48%. I keep mine at Vanguard coz I like liquidity.
I'm fairly new to the Vanguard prime money market but currently is it even better than Ally savings account? 2.48 vs 2.2% however the prime money market also has an expense ratio of .16%. Come tax time it will marginally be ahead but looking forward does one or the other tend to increase their rates more quickly to be competitive?

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to the Vanguard prime money market but currently is it even better than Ally savings account? 2.48 vs 2.2% however the prime money market also has an expense ratio of .16%. Come tax time it will marginally be ahead but looking forward does one or the other tend to increase their rates more quickly to be competitive?
That yield already includes expense ratio. So what you see is what you get.

For the past yr, prime money market has always been increasing faster/higher than ally savings account.

How exactly does the Vanguard Money Market Fund work? Is there a time period the money has to be in there? Can I put in and take out money as freely as I would like? I see there is a $3,000 minimum.

How exactly does the Vanguard Money Market Fund work? Is there a time period the money has to be in there? Can I put in and take out money as freely as I would like? I see there is a $3,000 minimum.
Yes, No time period. 3k minimum. It's not FDIC insured.

It's money market FUND, it's sponsored by Vanguard, invests in government securities, CDs. Risk of losing a lot of money in Prime Money Market fund is very, very low. For a money market fund to break the buck you need major economic weakness, bank failures, Lehman event, etc. When I say breaking the buck, it's not you lose 100% of your money, the fund maintain $1 purchasing parity and in the unlikely event, it breaks the buck it might go slightly lower to 0.96 cents or whatever since it invests in multiple securities (so if one security fails, $1 principal may go down). We have a bigger problem if that happens.

With an online savings account like Ally, you can withdrawal money at any ATM at anytime, but there is usually a daily limit like $500-1,000 and 6 withdrawals per month. To withdrawal from a money market fund, you have to sell, wait til the end of business day, then ACH transfer the money to a savings or checking acct which usually takes 2-3 business days before you can withdrawal.

With an online savings account like Ally, you can withdrawal money at any ATM at anytime, but there is usually a daily limit like $500-1,000 and 6 withdrawals per month. To withdrawal from a money market fund, you have to sell, wait til the end of business day, then ACH transfer the money to a savings or checking acct which usually takes 2-3 business days before you can withdrawal.
The Ally Online Savings Account that pays 2.2% does not have ATM access. The Ally Money Market Account does have a MasterCard Debit card/ATM card ($1,000/day limit) and a checkbook but it only pays 0.9%. I have both, but I leave the MMA empty because you can transfer to it instantly online whenever you want to make an ATM withdrawal or write a check.

For Vanguard Money Market funds, you can sell before 4pm and they will ACH transfer directly to your bank account overnight. You can also get a checkbook on the Federal MM settlement account, as long as the checks are over $250.

Reactions: 1 user