The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Subtract your mommy’s money and you would be average!
Subtracting mommy money -$200k, I still have 1.85M NW. What's your point? Just jealous as usual? LMAO.

Members don't see this ad.

Subtracting mommy money -$200k, I still have 1.85M NW. What's your point? Just jealous as usual LMAO.

If you had graduated with $200 k in debt, you wouldn’t have money to invest so you would not have invested when the stock market was dirt cheap.

He goes around telling people how much paper money he has like he did something great.

I have more money than you and I didn’t need mommy’s help!

If you had graduated with $200 k in debt, you wouldn’t have money to invest so you would not have invested when the stock market was cheap.

He goes around telling people how much paper money he has like he did something great.

I have more money than you and I didn’t need mommy’s help!
150k tuition from parents in 08. In just 1 yr working my networth was more than 150k, every year since I have been adding about 200k/yr just being an average index investor. Boo hoo no one cares about your stupid opinion or your inflated ego boasting your imaginary money. At least, what I have is real.

I said it again you are a jealous pathetic person.

Members don't see this ad :)
150k tuition from parents in 08. In just 1 yr working my networth was more than 150k, every year since I have been adding about 200k/yr just being an average index investor. Boo hoo no one cares about your stupid opinion or your inflated ego boasting your imaginary money. At least, what I have is real.

I said it again you are a jealous pathetic person.

You are a big fish in a small pond.

Even when you were losing money last year, I kept on earning. Maybe one day, you get to play with the big boys.

You are a big fish in a small pond.

Even when you were losing money last year, I kept on earning. Maybe one day, you get to play with the big boys.
Do anyone care? Hahahah
Sad little man.

Do anyone care? Hahahah
Sad little man.

Let see where you would be 10 years from now. This fool keeps on think he will get 9% a year. That is the average!

Let see where you would be 10 years from now. This fool keeps on think he will get 9% a year. That is the average![/QUOTE
You think I calculated with 9% annual increase.. :laugh:

You think I calculated with 9% annual increase.. :laugh:

All of your money is in Vanguard! Even Vanguard is predicting a much lower return for the next 10 years. The bulls run is over! Better adjust your paper “NW”

ImageUploadedBySDN1550547294.804040.jpg

Why do you constantly attack him? It adds nothing and detracts from the forum.

He replied to my post so I am returning his favor. Btw, how is your bitcoin doing?

ImageUploadedBySDN1550549254.197067.jpg

This argument really makes no sense. Rentals generally have a rate of return around 10%. Sure you can do better but that's not for everyone. A lot of people also don't want their money tied up in rentals which is where places like fundrise come in.

This argument seems to be who is right when in the end it's how much work do you want to put in. Most people who are like me with a family don't want to spend time on rentals whether it's doing it on your own or paying someone, we're lazy and just want the market to do its job.

If you want to put in the work, go for these other ways to allow you to diversify, neither way is wrong in the end of the day.

I will end with this, I don't do any extra work and I'll be retired by 50. None of that is needed unless you enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What other Vanguard investment is going to give you 5%?

View attachment 251241

The question with this statement is does this include a crash or are we going to continue to slowly go up? People like me would love a crash to get more money in cheaper before retiring.

LMFAO at having 200k after graduating in 2008 and then constantly preaching buy and hold. Yeah, I mean I'd love to "buy and hold" after the worst recession since the Great Depression.

I bet you he made nothing in 2018...his pharmacist salary - trump tax - stock loss = made nothing.

He loves to throw his NW around but he doesn't give others a full picture. He doesn't tell people about his mommy's money and how a lot of his money is stuck in retirement fund (can't withdraw for years). More importantly, he doesn't tell people he still needs to pay taxes! But, whatever.

LMFAO at having 200k after graduating in 2008 and then constantly preaching buy and hold. Yeah, I mean I'd love to "buy and hold" after the worst recession since the Great Depression. Not against family wealth. That's how it should be. But you might have a bit of a different perspective from most investors in history that don't just get to triple their money in 10 years by investing in the broad market.
Wish I had 200k cash to invest in 08. Got my license Oct 08 with 0 student loans.

Went from 0 -> a bit over 2M NW in about 10 yrs ($330k in 401k, no company match). Thanks for the $120k paid off tuition mom! She raised me right, not the consumerism way. I'm copying her frugality and work ethic to the core. Haters just keep on hating :lol:

This argument really makes no sense. Rentals generally have a rate of return around 10%. Sure you can do better but that's not for everyone. A lot of people also don't want their money tied up in rentals which is where places like fundrise come in.

This argument seems to be who is right when in the end it's how much work do you want to put in. Most people who are like me with a family don't want to spend time on rentals whether it's doing it on your own or paying someone, we're lazy and just want the market to do its job.

If you want to put in the work, go for these other ways to allow you to diversify, neither way is wrong in the end of the day.

I will end with this, I don't do any extra work and I'll be retired by 50. None of that is needed unless you enjoy it.
Being absolutely lazy and still ending up with millions is pretty cool.

The number doesn't change my argument one bit. Graduating in 2008 with no loans was a gift from the heavens compared to graduating now in this oversaturated job market and overvalued stock market.
Yep, lucky times but I'm sure everyone you know with the same circumstances ended up the same at 34 after pharmacy school.

I wouldn't be caught dead with PharmD degree in 2019.

Pretty much every regular in this thread is going to retire wealthy. I have no idea why you guys need to make a dick measuring contest out of it. Just be happy for each other.

Reactions: 4 users
I started pre-pharm in 2011. Back then there was still hope (there still is if you have work experience and fight for the good remaining jobs). And because of my home state location pharmacy offered a better ROI than pretty much anything else (in-state rural, scholarships). If I were to have gone to high school pretty much anywhere else I would probably be finishing dental school right now. Telling someone else to clean someone's teeth and reminding them to brush for 150k+ at 35 hours a week sounds nice (PICs make the same as dentists in some parts of the country btw). Not sure how real threat of automation is to dentists/orthodontists what with Smile Direct and all. Soon they too will be working for CVS. But I think we're starting to digress...
Um no... hopes were pretty much gone by 2011.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, lucky times but I'm sure everyone you know with the same circumstances ended up the same at 34 after pharmacy school.

I wouldn't be caught dead with PharmD degree in 2019.

How much money did you lose in 2018?

About 140k from the top, and gained 160-170k. I am up to 2.05M. I wish it went down more :( got 31 yrs to buy stocks.

What if you got laid off or your hours got cut?

What if you got laid off or your hours got cut?
My yearly dividend alone from taxable account can sustain me for the next 10 yrs.

I also have a YouTube channel and a blog in the making. I have 2 days off nowadays, it feels like I have a week off. That's why I start making them. I can fully focus on that if I get laid off. Not gonna reveal it here :D Hope to quit working in pharmacy if it does well.

Reactions: 1 users
My yearly dividend alone from taxable account can sustain me for the next 10 yrs.

I also have a YouTube channel and a blog in the making. I have 2 days off nowadays, it feels like I have a week off. That's why I start making them. I can fully focus on that if I get laid off. Not gonna reveal it here :D Hope to quit working in pharmacy if it does well.

What is your YouTube channel about?

They need to merge all momus and BMB posts into a superthread. Either that or make a poll to decide if they should have their own subforum. "Do nothing" is not an option.

Reactions: 3 users
They need to merge all momus and BMB posts into a superthread. Either that or make a poll to decide if they should have their own subforum. "Do nothing" is not an option.
@owlegrad this needs done.

Reactions: 1 user

Without members like me, Momus and a few others, this thread would have been dead a long time ago. There is a reason why we doing are so well.

Do not lump me with a person whose sole existence here is to bash others.

Without members like me, Momus and a few others, this thread would have been dead a long time ago. There is a reason why we doing are so well.

Do not lump me with a person whose sole existence here is to bash others.

LoL it was a joke. Guess you guys haven't been following the job market thread.

I thought YouTube didn't pay too well and compensation continues to trend down. I think you can make like $5k off a video that hits a million views? If it hits a million views. Last time I checked Twitch had much more growth potential and you could post your content on YouTube. More time investment though. Mostly live content and all about marketing. Would be cool to make good money playing video games. I think competition is high though.
With twitch, you need a regular time to stream. People expect you to be online at a certain time of the day. Without tits and ass, you can't make it there unless your skill level is at god mode. To get god mode, you need to train and stream 8-12 hours a day, meaning you have to quit your job. It's like a second job to log in to twitch and stream every day. I am more like a hobbyist. You can make videos whenever and talk about whatever, not just gaming. It's more versatile. Sponsored video, and merch are where the big money is with Youtube. There are many others. Residual viewers are also nice with youtube. Once you have a bunch of videos uploaded, it'll always be there and you can collect some ad revenue as long as the platform exists for people to view them.

Looks like it's going 55-60 now...

CVS employees will feel this pain. It has a mountain of debt. If money is not coming from its business, then it will come from employees’ pocket.

Larry Merlo’s job is on the line. Swim or sink.

CVS employees will feel this pain. It has a mountain of debt. If money is not coming from its business, then it will come from employees’ pocket.

Larry Merlo’s job is on the line. Swim or sink.

What is the point of buying all of these companies for exorbitant amounts? Target, Omnicare, now Aetna, will they ever profit from these aquisitions? Seems like they'd be better off if they did nothing.

What is the point of buying all of these companies for exorbitant amounts? Target, Omnicare, now Aetna, will they ever profit from these aquisitions? Seems like they'd be better off if they did nothing.

Because CVS and Walgreens won't be here in the future if they don't.

The number doesn't change my argument one bit. Graduating in 2008 with no loans was a gift from the heavens compared to graduating now in this oversaturated job market and overvalued stock market.

Anyone who went into pharmacy after 2014 without performing due diligence on job prospects and potential debt load have only themselves to blame.

Because CVS and Walgreens won't be here in the future if they don't.

Merlo wanted a bigger slice of the healthcare pie because he wanted more negotiation power but he ended up overpaying for those assets. Even worse, he used debt to buy them.

Merlo knows his neck is on the line. He would gladly throw you and all the pharmacists overboard, just so he doesn’t have to go down with a sinking ship.

With twitch, you need a regular time to stream. People expect you to be online at a certain time of the day. Without tits and ass, you can't make it there unless your skill level is at god mode. To get god mode, you need to train and stream 8-12 hours a day, meaning you have to quit your job. It's like a second job to log in to twitch and stream every day. I am more like a hobbyist. You can make videos whenever and talk about whatever, not just gaming. It's more versatile. Sponsored video, and merch are where the big money is with Youtube. There are many others. Residual viewers are also nice with youtube. Once you have a bunch of videos uploaded, it'll always be there and you can collect some ad revenue as long as the platform exists for people to view them.

Maybe you can be this guy:

ImageUploadedBySDN1550691986.666196.jpg

How are you going to differentiate yourself from all the other youtubers? What makes you special?

I remember you were talking about making a channel about fishing?

Merlo wanted a bigger slice of the healthcare pie because he wanted more negotiation power but he ended up overpaying for those assets. Even worse, he used debt to buy them.

Merlo knows his neck is on the line. He would gladly throw you and all the pharmacists overboard, just so he doesn’t have to go down with a sinking ship.

You seem more irritated then usual lately, everything ok?

He has a net worth of $47 million. Does he care if he loses his position?