the job market has dried up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waiter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Employed but checking job postings daily. Everything is for part time or for undesirable locations.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now there is an influx of new grads so it will be tight for a couple of months

Members don't see this ad :)
Define undesirable location. I once heard someone on here say its only worth living in NY or LA.
upload_2015-8-13_0-42-30.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
The big 4 States :

CA
FL
NY
TX

Are probably the desirable ones in addition to the Virginia DC area, Seattle, etc.

Define undesirable location. I once heard someone on here say its only worth living in NY or LA.
View attachment 195016

I couldn't find a job in a desirable location, so I was forced to move to rural Miami.

People with that sort of attitude are hilarious. Honestly, almost any city of a certain size will have everything you need. Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town in the middle of nowhere, but I've been perfectly content living in several cities of around 200-500k people.

Reactions: 1 user
Come over to Alexandria LA. High turnover because there is nothing to do here and its in the center of louisiana.

Garbage. There are jobs everywhere.

It's true, I find it very difficult to hire decent pharmacists and our pay and work environment are really good.
we have issues getting good candidates - we gets lots of crappy ones. I recently was offered a non-traditional job, but the pay was a joke

"Good candidates" that's the key. It feels like that's a rapidly dwindling pool these days.

The big 4 States :

CA
FL
NY
TX

Are probably the desirable ones in addition to the Virginia DC area, Seattle, etc.

That's a bit simplistic. There are always jobs in the TX Borderlands. As well as in California around that boring part in the middle of the state. What you meant to write is "most major cities and the beach."

That's a bit simplistic. There are always jobs in the TX Borderlands. As well as in California around that boring part in the middle of the state. What you meant to write is "most major cities and the beach."

No doubt, one of the pharmacists in my district has 5 different cities in California fighting for him to move right now. However, they aren't LA, San Diego, San Fran, etc.

Even the major cities in Central California (e.g. Fresno, Bakersfield) are saturated, from what I hear. They will join the ranks of SF, LA, OC, and SD as CHSU and all the other schools in Southern California (KGI, Chapman, WCU, and Ketchum) graduate their first class.

1) Yeah, this is the time of new grads, and is historically always the worst time to be looking for a new job. Give it 6 months, and things will be back more normal.

2) "desirable" locations have *always* been more difficult to find a job in, then undesirable locations. Even during the pharmacist shortage. That is just the way it is for obvious reasons.

3) don't we have a stickied megathread for the subject of this conversation?

United health just hired 40 pharmacists in Houston.