The kidney clearly runs on magic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...at least, that's the best understanding I have of it at the moment.

Can anyone suggest some physio/pharm resources/texts that might help me clear up this misconception?

Members don't see this ad.

...at least, that's the best understanding I have of it at the moment.

Can anyone suggest some physio/pharm resources/texts that might help me clear up this misconception?

Thats my understanding as well. I've been using FA and BRS phys, in addition to my compendious syllabus. Life would be simpler if we didnt have to worry about re-concentrating our urine, and we just left everything at glomerular filtration. Yeah, we'd be dried out husks in about 6 hours, but our physiology would be simpler.

Thats my understanding as well. I've been using FA and BRS phys, in addition to my compendious syllabus. Life would be simpler if we didnt have to worry about re-concentrating our urine, and we just left everything at glomerular filtration. Yeah, we'd be dried out husks in about 6 hours, but our physiology would be simpler.

sounds like a fair trade-off to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
As they say, the dumbest kidney is still smarter than any nephrologist.

The standards are Costanzo (either BRS or her big textbook), but here's a book I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Pathophysiolo...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231632138&sr=8-1

If it's the broad understanding of the topic, I'd suggest this book. It's great even in first year because it gives you an overview, than suggests why you care about some things because they explain the relevent pathophysiology and you can pick it up again next year.

If it's for really complicated stuff, like why we can use certain diuretics to treat diabetes insipidus (That was a real WTF moment for me) then I think it's just something you gotta struggle with, reread, ask the professor.

Hahaha....yea...magic sounds about right. I love reading the nephrology consults on our surgical patients...just so that I can feel even dumber than I already did and actually laugh hysterically at myself.

In a nutshell:
-Everything, especially water, sodium, and glucose...is absorbed in the proximal tubule.
- The descending limb is permeable to water
- The ascending limb is NOT permeable to water
- Osmolarity is high toward the medulla and low toward the cortex. Know the osmolarity of fluids at certain points (I think deep in the medulla it's like 1200 or something, and 500 just at the top of the loop of henle as the distal tubule begins).
- Distal tubule is where Thiazide diuretics act, which can cause hypercalcemia
- Collecting duct is permeable to water ONLY if antidiuretic hormone is present. Also, this is where aldosterone reabsorbs sodium and secretes potassium. Renin comes from the afferent tubules of the juxtaglomerular apparatus.

Know this **** and you'll probably get a 70 on your exam. All questions during the first two years seem to revolve around just a few concepts...so try not to be intimidated.

The diuretics chapter in the Big Katzung pharm textbook taught me a bunch. It's not that long either so you might want to check it out if you have access to it.

I liked BRS. Then again, I still think the kidneys run on magic.

Others will likely disagree with me on this, but for all things physio (including the kidneys) I loved Boron and Boulpaep. It goes into significantly more detail than you need as a medical student, but because of that I think it's a lot more clear than the review books.

If you just want to pass the exam, then some quick Costanzo is probably enough, but if you want to really learn the physio then do a quick breeze through a review book and spend some time going over the things you didn't understand in Boron.

Good luck!

Our renal physio prof used images from boron for lecture. I liked the breakdown of the transporters region by region.

you mean the kidneys don't run on the tears of medical students or how about the shattered remains of broken dreams?

I really liked Clinical Physiology of Acid-Base Disorders and Electrolyte Disorders by Rose

http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Phys...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231892286&sr=8-4

It includes more detail then you'll need, but it's well organized and it's fairly easy to pick out the pertinent parts. I really enjoyed renal though, and so it wasn't tortuous at all to read through some chapters. You should probably stick to some of the other books mentioned if you'd rather not get an in-depth look. :)

The renal chapter (like every chapter) in Big Costanzo is extremely well written. Read it closely a couple of times and work through all the practice exercises. You definitely do not need more depth than Big Costanzo for med school or boards.