Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

The last possible MCAT and still apply?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Esteban, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member

Medical Student
    So I was thinking of not applying this year because I am not where I want to be MCAT wise. But I was thinking to just apply to like 5 schools for the hell of it.

The point is, if I take the September 13, 2008 test, can I still apply this year? Does anyone now if most schools will take that score?

By the way, I will be applying to UCLA (not a chance), USC (ha!), UCLA Prime (who nows?) , CDrewU (maybe?) and UCI (why not?)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    I *think* that this year all schools are taking September MCAT scores. If not, there are only one or two that aren't. If you realize that your chances of having a successful application year with a September MCAT are severely cut down, then yeah, by all means go ahead and apply to a few schools. I'm a September MCAT taker as well, and I would not change a thing about how I went about my quest to gain admissions to a medical school. I definitely do not regret taking the MCAT at a late test date. The reason?

As I always say, it's because I took the MCAT when I was ready to take it. Not earlier, and not later!

:) GL

4. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member

Medical Student
    Hey, thanks! You seem like a great applicant. Sorry you didn't get in the first time around :(. So you took it September 2007?

5. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer

Medical Student
    EDIT:
    I see your edit, and raise you an edit!

Yes, I took it in September 2007. :p

6. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member

Medical Student
    Dude, if you retook with your score, I would find you and slap you :D!

7. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer

Medical Student
    I would find me and slap me too. hah. :p

8. amusedtodeath24

Pre-Medical
    So we can really take it as late as September and still apply this year?

I’ve been having a major dilemma lately and it’s driving me crazy. I took the MCAT for the first time in April and got a 29T. Since my GPA is verrrry low (3.2), I am going to retake and hope that if I improve my MCAT score, perhaps it can offset my failure as an undergraduate. Anyways, I signed up to take the test again on July 10, but honestly, I am starting to think I won’t be ready by then.

So my dilemma is should I postpone..? What is the latest I can take the test..? And how much of a disadvantage are you at when applying significantly later than June? Any input would be greatly appreciated…none of my friends are in this realm at all, so I really have no one to talk to about MCAT stuff…thank you.

9. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would either postpone a year or apply DO if I were you. You're a prime candidate to get into most DO schools.

10. amusedtodeath24

Pre-Medical
    Well, DO isn't an option for me...I know I'm fighting an uphill battle, but it's MD or bust. I've been thinking about this all morning and I think I'll be good to go in September. I know it'll be way late to apply, but I just want to know if I still can apply once I get my scores back (Octoberish..?).

Thanks for the response

11. supertrooper66

Banned

i'm sort of in the same boat as you. i took it in april but got a 26R (8, 10, 8), yikes! i'm scheduled to retake it July 10th and definitely not postponing it. the thing is we have scores to apply with early, so by the time they do receive our 2nd scores then our secondaries will be in around the sametime anyway. it'll all workout, ASSUMING you can get the score you want on your MCAT. i realize it's a bit risky applying before knowing what you got on your 2nd mcat, but, personally, my goal is to get in somewhere the first year of applying. i'm in a lil better position than you gpa wise, tho, because i have a 3.63. my gpa and lousy 26R should be enough to get me past screens to receive my secondaries at least. then, i'm counting on my retake to take me from there. if i do bad on my retake, then i'm screwed lol. i'm only applying to MD schools, too, so a good 2nd MCAT is vital for me. whatever, it's a risky business.

i actually have a lot of time to study for the mcat this time around, though. i was taking 21 hours during the semester and only had time to study the physics. i'm actually reviewing all the bio, chem, etc. this time and spending the last solid month on practice tests.

12. Chuckwalla

Chuckwalla Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Your stats are not good enough to apply with a September MCAT, it will be too late. With that GPA you need to apply early, before July.

Same goes to the OP. If your GPA is not well about a 3.5 I would wait till next cycle or go DO as suggested. Since you appear to be in Cali, it has to be higher, probably a 3.7.

13. IamShane

IamShane Junior Member

Vihsadas, you didn't get in your first time? even with your high score or did i miss that way too long ago..lol.

14. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer

Medical Student
    No I did not get in, however there was a lot going against me so I'm not surprised:

1) Very Late App (Late enough to kill the app)
    2) Low GPA with only 1.5 'good' years (3.33)
    3) Little Clinical experience
    4) Weak (rushed) PS
    5) No publications but good research experience

This year I feel that I've really improved my application.

1) Very Early App
    2) Low GPA with 2.5 great years (3.4, w/ last two years at 3.9, 60 credits)
    3) More clinical experience with multiple shadowing experiences, volunteering at a hospital
    4) More solid PS
    5) Publication and more research experience

15. amusedtodeath24

Pre-Medical
    my problem is (and always has been) time. i work full time and so only get to study MAX 1 hr to 1hr 1/2 on the weekdays. and all (i mean literally all) my studying was for physics and g-chem bc those are my weak points. i did not study for verbal at all, and the only bio "studying" was listening to to audio osmosis on the way to and from work. so if i was able to pull a 29 with that kind of piss poor studying, i'm positive i would have done much better had i actually had the time to cover everything. argggh

Ok, see this is what I'm stressing about - I don't know what to do - just do what I can and take it in July, and apply then? Or take it in September, and if I'm happy with my score, say f*** it and apply for the hell of it?

Honestly guys, I am having a freak out. What is the best course of action for someone in my shoes?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member

Medical Student
    Dude, that's a little condescending, no?

18. Chuckwalla

Chuckwalla Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    If you will not be ready for the July MCAT then definitely postpone it till September. A bad MCAT will hurt you for years to come whereas applying late will only hurt you for one year.

So if I were you and wouldn't be ready for June, I would take it in September and apply anyway. Just do not be surprised if it doesn't happen this year and be ready to apply immediately when the next cycle begins.

19. Chuckwalla

Chuckwalla Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Perhaps I could be more diplomatic. I am probably being so blunt because I am in a similar position myself and have come to face that reality.

20. supertrooper66

Banned

are you still working right now? yeah, if i was just as busy right now as i was during the semester, i'd be really worried. i'd have at least one test every week and freakin classes 8 hours a day T/Th and literally 12 hours a day M/W. There was like 1-2 hours of lunch in between, but that isn't enough time to get any studying done. I used that time to EAT and relax for the 2nd half of the day. That was only BEING in class, too, then night times usually went towards studying for tests I had the next day. The classes all worked out and got a 4.0! :-D shot my gpa from a 3.5 to a 3.63 in the process! my mcat suffered, tho...i started studying 2 months before my test date. the first 2 weeks i got a lot of mcat done, the next 2 weeks i didn't have time to touch any mcat due to midterms (15/21 hours were all bio), next 2 weeks I tried fitting in practice tests in between classes, and last 2 weeks I had midterms again. I squeezed in like 2 practice tests in the last 2 weeks. I still thought I was capable of pulling a 30, tho, and it didn't work out haha. this time will be different, but I also have way more time. I started studying again like 2 months ahead of time, but this time I only have summer classes for the middle 4 weeks. those summer classes are super easy and just full of busy work. so, i can spend like morning till 4pm studying mcat and do more after like 9-10 pm if I'm not too tired. that schedule is only Mon-Thurs, so then I have Fri-Sun completely off for MCAT.

if i were you, i would let your last practice tests determine if you want to take the retake. if you're hitting the scores you want consistently right before your test date, then go for it. if you're not, then postpone. if you postpone, tho, the one dude is right. you probably don't have the best of chances to get in this year since you'll apply late. IF i were you, i'd send in apps to a few schools now, get your secondaries sent to you and fill those out AFTER your mcat. if you end up postponing, then you won't need to waste your money on the secondaries. if you do take your mcat july 10th, then once you're done with it you're ready to continue the application process.

21. IamShane

IamShane Junior Member

What constitutes as "clinical experience"? I mean I volunteered at the ER and did research for neurodegeneration...is that clinical enough? :rolleyes:

22. supertrooper66

Banned

the ER is clinical experience. the research isn't. that is...RESEARCH experience haha.

23. IamShane

IamShane Junior Member

haha...very true

24. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member

Medical Student
    So it'll be the 9/13/08 test for me! I'm running a HUGE risk, but it's no greater than the risk of bombing an earlier test. Good luck everyone.

25. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer

Medical Student
    Just be ready for a two year plan. :)

26. kool aid kid

Medical Student
    I took Sep 7th last year and most schools took the score, though I was really late. The one school I remember wanting to apply to that I couldn't was USC Keck bc they didnt take any sep scores. Not sure if they changed that this cycle.

27. bluemonkey

Medical Student
    If you are going to apply, you have to go for it 100%. Are you planning on applying now and waiting to take MCAT in September or applying then? If the latter, your application will be in line for verification for a LONG time. You might not be getting secondaries and interviews until the new year. As some of the above posters said, earlier is almost always better. California schools are extremely competitive! Save yourself the money and wait until next year unless you can get it together to take your MCAT earlier. You also have to consider the fact that if you don't get in to those schools this year, you will need to get new LOR's, a new personal statement, and other improvements...

28. Esteban

Esteban Senior Member

Medical Student
    Huh. All this is so confusing! So should I just turn in my AMCAS without a score? I know it's a risk, but most CA schools don't even start interviewing until October anyway. Do you really need new LORs and personal statment? That kinda sucks.

29. bluemonkey

Medical Student
    As you said, it can be pretty confusing!

If you wait until you get a score, you would not be able to submit until October (or late September if AAMC gets the score time down to 2 weeks). Once you submit, your application gets put in line for verification. Early on (June-July) this goes really quickly. Later in the cycle, this can take 1-2 months. After verification is complete, then your application gets transmitted to schools. I believe the majority of UC's pre-screen primary apps before sending out secondaries which means you will have a delay at this point. Then you submit your secondary, schools review it, and you may be granted an interview. At this point in the year (probably around January-Feb) interviews are being booked out quite a ways in advance. So, as you can see, you could be waiting for a very long time before you get any good news. You also have to consider that nearly all schools use rolling admissions which essentially means "first come first serve."

If you were rejected from all schools this year (which I hope doesn't happen, good luck), most of those schools will require you to provide new letters/PS/etc. to demonstrate your increased potential candidate. This can be a major pain!

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I do want to convey the amount of time & effort that you will be spending on this process!

Once again, good luck!!!

30. anon y mous

Pre-Medical
    How about me: I am applying only DO. I have a relatively strong gpa: 3.9 science and 3.75 overall but got a 24 MCAT, not sure how i did that, but now don't feel confident at all. I plan to retake in August, but will that put me terribly behind? Will schools even start to review my app or send me secondaries while waiting for my results? otherwise i'm ready to send in my application. i really need some direction.

31. anon y mous

Pre-Medical
    We can't resubmit the same LORs if we have them on interfolio?