The last thread: No debt over 6 yrs at URI, or 150,000+ at Northeastern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmbxvii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like Northeastern a lot, love it actually. I got into honors and those dorms are crazy nice. It also has an awesome location in Boston which is great. However, I understand that it might be reckless to go there financially...and that kind of debt could easily tie me down terribly. It's also unknown how pharmacy might be doing in six years. I might also apply to med school afterwards too. What would you do, and why? I'm having trouble making the decision, and I value your responses a lot (so the better the response the more I appreciate it!)

I also have an option of going to Boston College (premed) on a NROTC scholarship...I know I wouldn't really be able to go to med school though before my 8 years.

Thank you! My decisions need to be made by May 1

I could have no debt at URI, or 0-35,000$. Northeastern would be a lot, lot more, like i said 150,000+.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have difficulty making decisions, go with the NROTC scholarship. After you pay back the required years to the Navy, you will have no problem making important decisions. Go to med school first, do your service, then apply to PharmD. Plus, getting into pharmacy school will be much easier with "veteran" on your application.

Last edited:
Well, I'd apply to med school after 8 yrs in the Navy...so when I'm 30. I'm unsure if that's what I would like to do though. this thread is really made to discuss URI/ northeastern and what i should do

if i decide to go into the military though, then i will (thats separate though)

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'd take the no debt route, hands down.

Can I ask how you'd manage to pull that off by the way?

Parents have agreed to pay 20,000/yr for six years. With the scholarship I got at URI, it comes out to almost nothing. Could you explain why now.. thanks!

Once you start your education at a professional school, where you went to undergrad will not matter as much as where you are getting your professional degree. You mentioned medical school, so I wasn't sure whether you'd apply to pharmacy school too, since you have pre-pharmacy as your status.

Both are 0-6 pharmacy programs. If I decide to apply to med school, getting my pharm d degree would sort of be my "pre med" (minus physics)

Both are 0-6 pharmacy programs. If I decide to apply to med school, getting my pharm d degree would sort of be my "pre med" (minus physics)

Is that really the way you see the Pharm.D. degree?

So which do you want to do more, medicine or pharmacy? If it's medicine, I wouldn't bother going to pharmacy school...it's going to be a lot more difficult than doing the pre-reqs for med school.

The point of this discussion is less time with debt or more time with no debt, right?
No debt is nice and I think going Navy is really honorable too.
However, the time is valuable and you cannot get it again.

Although you will have 150,000+ debt, the school is where you really want to go.
There is possibility that you can pay off the debt within the years that you saved and more experience from certain job will give you the chance to raise your salaries later.

Also, think about the life length of the job. If the life length of the job is short and you should quit earlier in your life, it is better to get into the field earlier and do the job as much as possible.
I heard surgeon has kind of short length life.