the last URM post (i hope)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jfksenior, Jun 26, 2002.

1. jfksenior

jfksenior Member

Recently, AAMC.ORG put out their AAMC Underrepresented Minority (URM) Discussion Document in which they were attempting to gather input on widening the scope of URM, and in this very meticulous, 40-pg document, which is on @ aaamc.org, it states that if all medical schools ONLY considered merit, the number of whites accepted would go up 5%, the number of asians accepted would go up 25%, and the number of URM would go DOWN 80%. that shocked me. from reading the past URN thread, I would like to propose we discuss whether widening the scope of URM is important.
    to me it comes down to once central issue:
    -what is the proportion of "disadvantageness" that is contributed from economic factors vs. racial factors?
    i.e. is will smith's kid going to do worse (only talking about merit here: gpa, mcats, lor, quality of activivties, etc...basically everything other than race) than his rich white peers JUST b/c he is black?
    -alternatively, given a group of black students in a terrible HS, lower class, etc. will they all perform equally poorly irrespective of their intra-group variation in wealth (assuming there is a significant amt.)
    -therefore, I think we need to find out which factors are more momentous, and maybe there shoudl be some kind of weighting sytsem between "racial" disadvantageness and "economic" disadvantageness...b/c honestly, I that that assuming URM=disadvantaged is simply an overgeneralization that overloooks the fact that the majority of poor people in this country are white, and what the hell will we do in 20 yrs when 2 generations of minorities and whites have intermarried, and then will we apply AA to the "one-drop" rule?? ok, Say I'm 1/4 latina, 1/4 asian, 1/4 irish, 1/4 iranian....am I URM?

i think we need to, as many have suggested, go beyond the PC, superficial definition of "diversity" for the sake of showing off "diversity" on our med school catalogs and websites to others, and at the same time engendering a sense of victimization among URMs who get in with sub-par merit, and a sense of distrust and suspicion among everyone else.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    Can you please post a link to the aamc document? Thanks.

4. none

none 1K Member

I'm guessing what they mean when they discuss widening the scope of URM...is just that, widening the definition of what constitutes an under-represented minority, as currently defined ethnically. Groups such as Hmongs are lumped together with the over-represented northern Asians whereas in actuality they have an extremely different culture and belief system.

And it's not like mesigination isn't an issue now. It's one that is easily dealt with though and definitely nothing to worry about. The applicant is what the applicant says they are. Simple as that.

5. The DOC

The DOC Junior Member

Hey, I'm 100% Iranian.......I put myself under the "caucasian" category, got into school. That's about it, if you're good then they will realize it. Bottom line.

6. silvercholla

silvercholla Smarter than the avg bear

Though I do not agree with Affirmative Acton or the URM of the AAMC, I do not believe that it is just a matter of being good. There are a lot of "good" applicants out there who did not get into school. Sometimes it comes down to a matter of luck as well as being "good".

If the AAMC is going to broaden this policy then they should broaden it to include whites as well as non whites.

This policy is tricky, a double edged sword. I don't think there is any real way for the policy to include every URM. I think they should just scrap the whole thing and start over. It's too close to Affirmative Action.

7. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by The DOC:
    <strong>Hey, I'm 100% Iranian.......I put myself under the "caucasian" category, got into school. That's about it, if you're good then they will realize it. Bottom line.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well... biologically, I believe Iranians are caucasian... as are people from northern India.

Now... what about if Tiger Woods wanted to apply to med school? He's part African American and Native American, so he should benifit from A.A. right? But wait, he's also part Asian, so he should be discriminated against, right? Where does being half-URM and half-Asian leave you?

LOL! This whole thing is ridiculous I agree with Silvercholla... we need to just START OVER.

8. sz

sz Senior Member

<strong>Well... biologically, I believe Iranians are caucasian... as are people from northern India.</strong>

Can you please elaborate on what it means to be "biologically" caucasian? ... I've never heard of the term before.

9. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sz:
    Well... biologically, I believe Iranians are caucasian... as are people from northern India.

Can you please elaborate on what it means to be "biologically" caucasian? ... I've never heard of the term before.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's different than being biologically asian and biologically african american, and at one point was being called biologically white, although some people like to refer to that as biologically melanin-challenged. I hope this helps.

By any chance could you explain why someone from Egypt is not African-American while another person from Belize is African American. I'd greatly appreciate some insight, being a geogrphically-challenged, biologically ango-saxon who gets confused by the latest politcally correct jargon.