Oct 11, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
This was an E-mail to all the 2012 pharmacy students at the Erie campus.

Dear Class,
As you can imagine, as Dean, to receive an email that says that ½ the class were missing when we have a mandatory attendance policy is not a good thing! I’ve checked with Dr. ###### and he confirms that all students were expected to attend.
I will be asking faculty NOT to send out emails with important announcements to those who did not show up; if you don’t show up, there is a consequence. And it’s also dishonors those who do show up. And for those who might say it’s the weather … sorry, that excuse doesn’t cut it in Erie, PA. You just need to get up earlier (as I did) and leave more time to get here.
For those ½ the class who did not show up, please send an email directly to me telling me why you were absent. Thank you.
(There’s a fairly famous story circulating about how I once had students come in on a Saturday morning in December to make up a class for which over ½ the class didn’t attend in the COM … it’s true!)

do you want to go to a school like this? I thought I was out of highschool.

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
If you're class of 2012, you leave for your rotations after this Spring, right? I'd suck it up and keep my head down. Thanks for sharing with us, though. LECOM as a whole (COP, COM, etc) seems to be an awful school when it comes to micromanagement.

Maybe it makes you better pharmacists and doctors? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, at least you're helping future applicants by letting them know what kind of garbage you guys put up with. Can you have drinks in the classroom yet? :smuggrin:

Jul 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Aww...so they want to make sure that future professionals who will hold people's lives in their hands actually go to class? What a pain. How dare they!

</sarcasm>

:rolleyes:

May 8, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
I agree with the message. If it's a really important meeting that requires everyone's attendance, then everyone should attend. Having to make it up for other students is such a huge hassle on the faculty

If we're whining about the Dean's horrible grammar, then yes, it's pretty bad.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I agree with the message. If it's a really important meeting that requires everyone's attendance, then everyone should attend. Having to make it up for other students is such a huge hassle on the faculty

Boy is that ever what I was thinking as well. Makes me wonder about him.

I don't understand LECOM at all. 0.5 of the class not showing up for a required session? What kind of students do they have? I know that I am glad I don't go there based on the stories I hear here (hehe), but I have to wonder how bad the students are that they have to send out emails like that. If half my class didn't show up for a required session I don't know how my school would respond. I bet we would all have to set through a professionalism lecture from our asst dean. :rolleyes:

Jun 9, 2009
Status
You're a pre-pharmer. If all the professors do is read off of powerpoint slides, there is no point in going to class.
I've heard a student at my school point that out to a professor (who is also a pharmacist). The instructor's response was something like this (I'm paraphrasing, so it's not the exact wording):

"I can leave just two words or phrases up on a slide, and lecture off of that. But that means, you guys will be spending the whole time trying to take notes and writing down what I say. I want you guys to listen to me during lecture, so you don't miss what I said because you were busy writing the whole time. It also helps me not get distracted from going off on a tangent in the middle of the lecture. If I put everything in the slides, at least you guys will have the notes you need, so you can study. Even if it seems like I'm basically reading off of the slides, you'll still have all of the information you need in the slides."

They usually say a couple of things (like tell us definitions of certain terms, point out which bullet points are important, etc) about each slide or each bullet point.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
I've heard a student at my school point that out to a professor (who is also a pharmacist). The instructor's response was something like this (I'm paraphrasing, so it's not the exact wording):

"I can leave just two words or phrases up on a slide, and lecture off of that. But that means, you guys will be spending the whole time trying to take notes and writing down what I say. I want you guys to listen to me during lecture, so you don't miss what I said because you were busy writing the whole time. It also helps me not get distracted from going off on a tangent in the middle of the lecture. If I put everything in the slides, at least you guys will have the notes you need, so you can study. Even if it seems like I'm basically reading off of the slides, you'll still have all of the information you need in the slides."

They usually say a couple of things (like tell us definitions of certain terms, point out which bullet points are important, etc) about each slide or each bullet point.
If they just put all the info on the slides and lecture off of that, I'm not gonna pay attention even if I go to class.

My favorite professors assign readings or give us the slides a few days before the lectures, and then the actual class is more of a discussion/QA session, where you take notes on stuff you didn't understand, then followed by case studies.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist

This is exactly how I feel. I don't understand the complaint about read off slides at all. I hate taking notes and much prefer when all the good stuff is already on the slides.

I have had one instructor in pharm school who left out words on his powerpoints so we would have to fill them in. Amazingly some of my classmates liked this. I hated it down to my core.

OP
D
Oct 11, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student

It seems, from my point of view, that the school has made every class mandatory. I am not angry at what the e-mail says.

Some of our professors have said to us "if you don't want to be here don't come". Some students do very well without attending class. The same professors then see few students at their lecture, complain to someone, then we get these e-mails.

It is not going to keep me from getting my pharm d, but it is annoying. If I knew about these little things that they try to manage, I probably would have gone to another institution. Should I transfer? it's a little late for that.

If this is something that a prospective student may want to hear, I will put it on this forum.

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Chapel Hill
If this is something that a prospective student may want to hear, I will put it on this forum.
FWIW, your comments are appreciated. :) Honestly, I would probably do the same thing if I were in your shoes.

If I'm a graduate student in a professional program, paying mucho dinero for tuition, I wouldn't be too keen on being talked to like a child. Personal responsibility regarding classroom attendance is just that ... a personal issue.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I've read a lot of posts/thread by dislikeLECOM and I realized you must really dislike the school lol.

Have you ever considered focusing on doing something to create a more positive + comfortable environment for yourself instead of paying attention only to the negativities? No offense, but if you dislike LECOM that much, don't let it frustrate you anymore than it already did.
And what do you propose he do? Your post is a bit naïve. This school has a history of treating their students like high schoolers. Whether or not they have good students doesn't change the fact that they can't have bottled water in a classroom or are forced to bring in doctor's notes if they miss class. Frankly, I think it is ridiculous that the Dean and/or professors routinely send out scolding e-mails or make scolding comments about their students' "behavior" and attendance issues. Pharm students are adults and should have the choice to attend class or not. It will be their responsibility to learn the material on their own or it will be their fault if they miss something important. Many students are successful with that. It is their prerogative. I understand there are some classes that are mandatory. We have classes where your grade is dropped an entire letter grade should you choose to miss (case studies) or classes where if you have more than two absences, you get a gentle reminder about how class is important (considering it is communication and counseling skills, I see the importance). But to essentially force students to attend every class everyday seems overboard. I think maybe their faculty devote too much energy to controlling their students rather than improving the quality of the education.

I am sure somebody will show this thread to their faculty and it will be more drama. One of the beautiful things about an anonymous site is the ability to share opinions and experiences without retaliation. Free speech, yo. ;)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
Status
dislikeLECOM, you sound like you are really tired of the school. It is nice that you want future students to know about the school but you should be cautious. I am in no position to comment on your experience, but I will give you advice. If you are planning on getting your PharmD from this school, then I suggest you stop complaining. It will only hurt your chances of finding that one job, because you never know who may be reading these threads (i.e. your future employer). So please listen to your own advice/warnings and don’t go there if you really are that unhappy. I have known people who go to pharmacy/medical school in their 30s and 40s. It is never too late…Good luck!

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I appreciate your constructive criticisms but I give the word "naive" back to you so you might use that for something/one else. I am a realist.

If this school has a history of treating their students like high schoolers like you mentioned, potential students should have known about it before they even apply.

Let say one didn't do the research, he didn't know about it, once one confirmed his acceptance to LECOM, he signed documents to agree with ALL school's regulations. What are they?

http://www.mutualgravity.com/dld/deygrm/LECOM_2010-2011Catalog_CombinedREV10-07-10.pdf

Let say he didn't even read the agreement before signing it, everything just blew up in his face when he got to LECOM. He couldn't stand this anymore and he transfered.

Let say he didn't transfer because the cost was outrageous. I would say: Stay at the LECOM and make the most out of it for himself.

Personally, I heard about LECOM's policies before having my interview. I got accepted to 3 and decided to go for LECOM, it was my decision. I understand that not all of us have the same opinion about the attendance policy or any policy the school might have and I respect your point. Still, it is an individual's decision to attend the school and he should honor the responsibilities that he agreed to.

@dislikeLECOM -- too bad that you're all the way at E campus, if you're in B campus you can show me around, have some drink and we'll find something to do to get out of the distress lol :cool:

Peace :sleep:
Have you read this guy's previous thread?

What I am saying is that it is good for students to know what they are getting into when going to this school. Whether he read an entire handbook or not is irrelevant, considering his initial complaint (in another thread) wasn't even about what was in the handbook. Whàþ I do find helpful is that he is pointing out things that students may not be aware of when applying to this school. I know I didn't know every policy prior to applying to any of my schools. Students find these things out later (after an acceptance) and may reluctantly accept the offer should it be the only one or because of other reasons. But to suggest that he do something to make himself more comfortable is silly considering one student can't change an entire policy at a school.

Shmooy8850

5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Dear Class,
As you can imagine, as Dean, to receive an email that says that ½ the class were missing when we have a mandatory attendance policy is not a good thing! I’ve checked with Dr. ###### and he confirms that all students were expected to attend.
I will be asking faculty NOT to send out emails with important announcements to those who did not show up; if you don’t show up, there is a consequence. And it’s also dishonors those who do show up. And for those who might say it’s the weather … sorry, that excuse doesn’t cut it in Erie, PA. You just need to get up earlier (as I did) and leave more time to get here.
For those ½ the class who did not show up, please send an email directly to me telling me why you were absent. Thank you.
(There’s a fairly famous story circulating about how I once had students come in on a Saturday morning in December to make up a class for which over ½ the class didn’t attend in the COM … it’s true!)

I would prefer to have a dean who uses proper grammar.

Samus2008

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2008
Status
who cares about proper grammerrr, get overs it!

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Curious... how did this pan out?