The Latest Tricare Expansion

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by bogatyr, Dec 7, 2005.

1. bogatyr

bogatyr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

2. island doc

island doc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

3. USAFdoc

USAFdoc exUSAFdoc
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

just another example of a health care system out of control; or rather being controlled by people that have no idea and consequence to their bad decisions. Is it ok to expand TRICARE? sure, if you have the staff and infrastructure to deal with that, which the military does not have.

4. R-Me-Doc

R-Me-Doc Now an X-R-Me-Doc
    10+ Year Member

" . . . for the military, it could lead to trading away airplanes and other war necessities for new entitlements." (quoted from the article)

Hmmm, medical care instead of zillion dollar weapons boondoggles? And the problem with that is . . . what?

RMD 0-6-23

5. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!
    10+ Year Member

We'll all agree zillion dollar boondoggles are just that. We should be concerned about the weapon systems that aren't.

And is it possible to work more than 24 hrs/day to cover the expanded Tricare beneficiaries??? :eek:

6. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tricare is a lame insurance plan, little more respected or better reimbursing than Medicaid, in most places. Most private practitioners are rightfully wary of taking many patients who have the plan, and just like Medicaid, they come with high expectations, high demands and not much else.

7. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depending on what I'm doing, Tricare is WORSE than medicaid.

8. Monty Python

10+ Year Member

I have mixed personal opinions on this development, which I'll keep to myself.

I want to share with you my "official" perspective on why this legislation was passed.

I'm the Officer in Charge of a 40 man reserve hospital unit. At my reserve center are four other types of units, for a total of ~250 reservists.

A rather large percentage of the reservists do NOT have any sort of health insurance for a variety of reasons, yet they're expected by the military to maintain the same state of health readiness as the active duty troops (who have comprehensive carte blanche medical care).

Recognizing this catch-22, Congress sent out trial balloons and surveys, and discovered the overall health status and readiness of reservists could be greatly improved if Uncle Sam helped with that process a la Tricare.

While at first glance this may appear to be a lard-laden Christmas present to reservists, there are legitimate reasons behind it. During the mobilization for Desert Storm they discovered an unsettling percentage of reservists were not deployable. For the current operation in Iraq those numbers were lower, but still noticeable.

9. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I was active duty, being C-1/T-1 status was a BIG deal. Everyone had to meet this status...meaning your immunizations, health status, training status, etc....was up to date, so that you are ready to Deploy.

What a fricking joke!!!! It was just something used to deny you leave and TAD.

When the orders came for deployment, everyone deployed, regardless of your status.

My 2 dollars.

10. USAFdoc

USAFdoc exUSAFdoc
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As a family doc USAF, I personally saw many reservist that were called up and in such POOR, POOR,POOR physical condition,that had no choice but to NOT deploy them. Many obese, hep C positive, diabetics (all new dx) severe htn etc.

Those troops that accepted the reservist paycheck but did not maintain their health are partly responsible, but my opinion is that this is just ANOTHER one of many falilures of leadership in the highest ranks. And their answer now appears to fill the already overloaded clinics with more patients.

11. USAFGMODOC

USAFGMODOC Attending physician
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Many of the reservists I've seen in the last 2 yrs fit into the "non-deployable" category... It seems to me that if you are deemed non-deployable due to medical reasons, these people should be looked at with more than a cursory paper exam and if they aren't going to ever be fit, they should be unable to continue service. Look, reservists not having health care is not the responsibility of Uncle Sam... Sounds cruel, but if we can't use you to deploy and you are medically broken, you should not be able to continue service.

I've also had diabetics, chronic opiod dependent pain patients and many with such bad dental problems that I even wonder how they still have any teeth...

It is sad, but these people take the paycheck and unfortunately can't "fill" the need for deployments and this puts additional strain on everyone who has to take up the slack and deploy longer/second third time and all.

Now giving the medical benefits to them prior to deploying will not be sufficient enough time to "fix" many of these chronic conditions... I sometimes just don't get the decisions made by the powers that be!

12. USAFdoc

USAFdoc exUSAFdoc
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

one of the biggest "eye openers" for me during my USAF officer career, was how VERY LITTLE information, and correct information at that, that those making the decisions actually have..................as much as anything, that leads to what end up being "ridiculous decisions". Another one is having the "wrong person" appointed to a job, usually someone chosen by rank or "command path". Lastly, the culture of the USAF in which many commanders choose to get ZERO input form the officers down on ground zero actually doing the job.