shoppe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Never in my life had I thought I want to be a doctor. Yet, lately, I've been hearing this little voice nagging in the back of my mind that I should do otherwise. As I am closer to getting into pharmacy, I keep wondering what if I change my course now? Most of the prerequisites for pharmacy are very similar to those required pre-med students so I'm actually not that far behind should I change now. However, what if I don't get in? What if that little voice is a lie? What if... things don't turn out right? So here are my stats: 3.87 GPA, 80% pcat, and 1 year of pharmacy experience. I know it's not perfect but it's competitive for most pharmacy schools. But, to most pre-med applicants, it's not even close to being competitive. I have yet to take the MCAT and if I follow this course, I would be hold back one year. Everyone around me has been so discouraging. As a woman, my family and friends think that it would be impossible for me to maintain a good marriage life having this kind of career. So many things to think things through. I"m so confused right now. Does anyone know why you want to be a doctor? This is especially for non-traditional students. AT what point in your life do you say to yourself.. "I want to be a doctor" and actually have the courage to go for it? Were you afraid of the financial and time commitments? And for those who are in medical school right now? Was it the right thing? Would you do otherwise?

appletree

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
shoppe said:
Never in my life had I thought I want to be a doctor. Yet, lately, I've been hearing this little voice nagging in the back of my mind that I should do otherwise. As I am closer to getting into pharmacy, I keep wondering what if I change my course now? Most of the prerequisites for pharmacy are very similar to those required pre-med students so I'm actually not that far behind should I change now. However, what if I don't get in? What if that little voice is a lie? What if... things don't turn out right? So here are my stats: 3.87 GPA, 80% pcat, and 1 year of pharmacy experience. I know it's not perfect but it's competitive for most pharmacy schools. But, to most pre-med applicants, it's not even close to being competitive. I have yet to take the MCAT and if I follow this course, I would be hold back one year. Everyone around me has been so discouraging. As a woman, my family and friends think that it would be impossible for me to maintain a good marriage life having this kind of career. So many things to think things through. I"m so confused right now. Does anyone know why you want to be a doctor? This is especially for non-traditional students. AT what point in your life do you say to yourself.. "I want to be a doctor" and actually have the courage to go for it? Were you afraid of the financial and time commitments? And for those who are in medical school right now? Was it the right thing? Would you do otherwise?
I would recommend that you get some clinical experience - shadow doctors, volunteer in the hospital etc. And take the MCAT. Taking one more year to figure out the rest of your life is worth it. I'm in my 30s, married, did a PhD, and then realized that I want to be a physician. I actually took a few years to confirm that it was what I really really want to do (the clinical experiences really sealed it for me). You will always have to deal with negative comments in life, don't take them seriously. My mom-in-law was (probably still is) not too thrilled with my decision. What really helped was the 100% backing I have from my husband.

About the Ads

Zymogen

Sweet Like Bear Meat
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with the above poster.

Get Experience.

We all have this idea in our heads about medicine, but actually being around patients can often be a different story. Volunteer even for a couple weeks at the local hospital.

I made this transition from a previous career path so I know what you are thinking. I just could not see myself doing what I was previously planning on doing.

Sounds like you are smart, and if you really focused I think you could ace the MCAT. The question you really need to ask is this: Can you really see yourself waking up and going to work everyday as a pharmacist?

Johnny_one_eye

Phleboptimist
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I agree with what's been said so far. You also might look into becoming a PA, depending on how you feel about it. I know quite a few people who are doing that for the reasons that you brought up. It seems like something like that might be a great opportunity for you. The only thing is that many of the programs require an extensive amount of clinical experience (much more than your average pre-med will have). If you're interested in it, I suggest reading up on it. But it really matters what you want and whether you think you can manage. If you've got a desire to be a physician, go for it!

TSK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I think you owe it to yourself to give medicine a chance. You don't want to think about what could have been for the rest of your life...As for your friends thoughts...too bad they don't realize that women are just as entitled to have fulfilling careers as men are. Perhaps if more men pulled their weight in raising a family/running a household, that would not be a deciding factor for women.

I hope you listen to that little voice and good luck!

shoppe said:

centralline

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I was going down the same path as you are, but not quite as far along, and then I interviewed a pharmacist one day who suggested that I make sure I didn't want to be a physician (he loved his job, but I was enthusiastically going on about physiology). I started volunteering in different clinical areas, and after that there was no way I was going back. I have never regretted that decision. So basically I'm saying the same thing as everyone else. Get some experience.

About the Ads