The logic of Folds and Holes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awuah29

Christian predent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is that always the case that the number of resulting holes is eqivalent to the number of paper layers through which the hole is puched . I have noticed thats not always true by working on Kaplan's paper folding. How does it work anway ? Is it that you have for example one folds resulting in 2 holes, 2 resulting in 4 etc.

I always look at the symmetry of the first fold and use this technique mentioned above as a last resort when I get stuck. Can anyway tell me how it really works.

I 've noticed also that the orientation of the paper is not the same in some of Kaplans paper folding. Do you need to sometimes twist the paper. Barron 's DAT says no :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The orientation of the paper shouldn't ever move. The number of holes should equal the number of paper layers. You probably aren't counting the number of layers correctly. Which Kaplan questions are you talking about? Let me know which test number and which questions where you are confused.

the number of holes is not always proportional to the number of folds for two reasons:

they sometimes do a half-fold. this is when the fold directly in the middle of a line of where holes can be punched. So, lets imagine instead of having the paper sectioned into a 4 x 4, it is sectioned into an 8 x 8. If we fold at the 2/8, 4/8, or 6/8 mark, no big deal, but sometimes the folds are along the 3/8, 5/8, etc. in those cases, you folded right in the middle of where a circle could be and a hole punch in the right spot will cause only 1 hole to appear instead of of 2 at times when unfolded.

Sometimes they also fold a section and then fold again and in the second fold, paper now covers an area that has no other paper underneath it (because that paper was folded aside in the first fold). Now a hole punch in the right place will again only cause one hole to appear when everything is unfolded.

There isn't a simple hard fast rule to solving all hole punches, but in general, you can use the rule of symmetry and the rule that yes, one punch should make two holes...but just be aware that there are exceptions.