1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

The long road ahead (HS to MD)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Parker, May 28, 2002.

1. Dr. Parker

Dr. Parker Junior Member

I just graduated from highschool, and I am intent on becoming a doctor. But despite all my passion and desire for my future plans, I am in constant state of confusion as to how to get there!

How many of you decided you wanted to be doctor's before college, and how did you finally carry out that plan to the later stages?

Also wondering if anybody else has encountered the situation where your college does not offer a pre-med major, but yet a "pre-med advising" where you have a regular major and the pre-med courses are added on to that. I want to do a business major, but the pre-med requirements will almost make me a double major! If you've been in this situation how have you handled it? Science majors instead? 5 years undergrad?

I feel just like a youngun on this board with all the applying/accepting/waitlist talk, but I'm sure there's alot of us out there who are just getting started in undergrad!!

Thanks for any insights! :p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had not even thought of becoming a doctor until it was mentioned to me during the middle of my sophomore year in college. I graduated in 1994 with a major in Biology and have since gotten a master's in Public Health and have worked for 5 years.

Needless to say, there is no one perfect way to med school. The best way is the one that fits you and who you are.

Schools like to see a well rounded individual. If you stand out, then you will have a better personal statement, interview, etc. I have worked in PH, have a master's degree, spent time in Africa, etc., etc. What is more, it is obvious that I did not do any of those things to make my application more appealing to the ad coms. I did them because that is who I am.

If you want to majoy in business then do it but have a good reason. No one will ask you why you majored in Bio, but that does not make you stand out. The business major is not typical (it is not odd either) and you might get asked about it. If you have a solid answer then you want to be asked about it. You will have to take the pre med courses, but ...

About the pre med advisor. I went to a small school that did not have a pre med program per se. In fact you did not have to have O Chem to graduate with a Bio degree. It worked out fine for me. You do need to be a little more on your toes though. At some of those schools O Chem is not offered each year. You need to take O Chem your sophomore or junior year if you want to take the MCAT your junior year to apply during your senior year. If the advisor is not really up on the med school stuff they can over look those types of issues.

Good luck and do not take things too seriously. Work hard, but enjoy yourself.

4. Good for you for asking these important questions! If you love business, major in it. There's absolutely no reason to major in the sciences. You only have to complete the pre-med requirements (2 gen chem, 2 orgo, 2 physics, 2 bio, sometimes math and other things). You'll have plenty of time to study science and medicine in med school and beyond. I was a cognitive neuroscience and women's studies (history of medicine concentration)double major. It didn't hurt me at all.

It is not surprising to have a pre-med committee, but not a major. Pre-med is really a series of partially-related classes. You won't have a problem getting into med school using an advisor.

As for when I decided to be a doctor, I knew when I was 12. I realized I wanted to study the history of medicine and delve into public health in order to attack medicine from a population perspective rather than simply the traditional biomedical approach, so I spent a few years going to grad school and working on grants in order to gain the experience that has proven to be invaluable to me.

There is no wrong path. Just enjoy the journey! Good luck.

5. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I, too, have known that I wanted to be a physician for as long as I can remember -- I think it's in the genes or something since my father and every uncle in my family (5) are all physicians. . .

I remember very acutely being right where you are, Dr. Parker -- feeling like medical school was a LONG WAY off and frustrated over my school's lack of a premedical major. Well...let me tell you that this is a blessing in disguise --major in what YOU want to, don't become a science major because it won't make things easier at all, since it won't be what you're truly interested in.

There are MANY majors that have nothing to do with medicine, all of which when added to the required courses, will qualify you for medical school and the MCAT. Go with what interests you because in the end, that will make you happiest!

Best of luck! :D

6. Dr. Parker

Dr. Parker Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys! Very helpful! SDN has been a great help so far for me!

Anybody else planning to start pre-med/ungrad in the fall?

7. OzFan321

OzFan321 Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dr. Parker:
    <strong>I just graduated from highschool, and I am intent on becoming a doctor. But despite all my passion and desire for my future plans, I am in constant state of confusion as to how to get there! :p </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi. I am one of the "bleacher creature" types on this site and have been going through the same thing. Send me a PM if you want to talk about it.

8. Assassin

Assassin Assassin
    7+ Year Member

if you're set (or think that you're set) on going to med school, research the colleges that offer BA/MD in one shot (or programs that allow you to apply as a sophomore).
    those progs are competitive as hell (though no more so than applying to med school) and are usually contingent upon certain gpa, mcat, and community hours; still, to say that a "free" ticket to med school after you're done with the undergraduate degree is valuable commodity, would be an understatement.