Augustus

Removed
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm doing okay (typically between 9-11 w/ "scale factors") on MCAT verbal but I feel I can do better.

On my practice tests I'm seeing an obvious trend. The longer passages (usually consisting of 7 questions) are the ones that are killing me, with 2-3 questions wrong and sometimes 4.

In the shorter passages with 5-6 questions I tend to get either 1 or 0 questions wrong.

Any advice for handing the longer passages?

Thanks

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
This may seem obvious but More questions = More time. Some people try to stay consistent with the 7 min/passage rule but when I get one of these passages I usually hunker down and spend up to 10 mins if I have to because it is about 18% of your test so it should require more time. I'm not really sure what more to say, other than just practice because these are more tiring because they require more focus.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Redoxify

7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm doing okay (typically between 9-11 w/ "scale factors") on MCAT verbal but I feel I can do better.

On my practice tests I'm seeing an obvious trend. The longer passages (usually consisting of 7 questions) are the ones that are killing me, with 2-3 questions wrong and sometimes 4.

In the shorter passages with 5-6 questions I tend to get either 1 or 0 questions wrong.

Any advice for handing the longer passages?

Thanks
Agree with LostInStudy. Take a minute off the shorter passages and add a minute to the longer ones. Or distribute the way you like, but definitely allocate more time to the longer passages.

A minute lost/gained here and there makes a huge difference.
For the majority of us, the strict 7-minute/passage rule flies out the window during the actual thing. At least it did for me, and I religiously made it a habit during EKCR/AAMC's to stick to it.