The Madness before the Madness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I.e. time is flowing like molasses before day 1 of medical school!

Anyone see The Pursuit of Happyness? That's what getting into medical school felt like for me. So much effort, agony, angst, whatever (not exaggerating 'cuz I'm a non-trad & it was a 2-yr effort before I even made my 1st attempt to apply). Then finally I get that phone call and there's that brief moment of happyness :idea: , which was magnificent... but quickly morphs into something like relief. I'm still happy, but more than that I'm mainly relieved to have a "home" this fall...

Because let's be honest here. There's 7+ yrs of hard work ahead of us before we really get to where we want to be. It's almost laughable to the average person that we would be HAPPY to have this chance at 7 yrs of hard non-stop work.

Nonetheless, I'm eager for that stage of my life to begin, which makes my current work insanely difficult to plod through. This past month at work has been practically the slowest, hardest month of my life. All the annoyances I put up with before now I find I have almost zero patience for. It's just all so meaningless. I had an easier time while I was busy taking pre-reqs or studying for the MCAT. My time had meaning. Now it's just this pointless expanse of waiting.

For those who have a "home" this fall, how are things going for you? How are you feeling?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone see The Pursuit of Happyness? That's what getting into medical school felt like for me. So much effort, agony, angst, whatever (not exaggerating 'cuz I'm a non-trad & it was a 2-yr effort before I even made my 1st attempt to apply). Then finally I get that phone call and there's that brief moment of happyness :idea: , which was magnificent... but quickly morphs into something like relief. I'm still happy, but more than that I'm mainly relieved to have a "home" this fall...

Because let's be honest here. There's 7+ yrs of hard work ahead of us before we really get to where we want to be. It's almost laughable to the average person that we would be HAPPY to have this chance at 7 yrs of hard non-stop work.

Nonetheless, I'm eager for that stage of my life to begin, which makes my current work insanely difficult to plod through. This past month at work has been practically the slowest, hardest month of my life. All the annoyances I put up with before now I find I have almost zero patience for. It's just all so meaningless. I had an easier time while I was busy taking pre-reqs or studying for the MCAT. My time had meaning. Now it's just this pointless expanse of waiting.

For those who have a "home" this fall, how are things going for you? How are you feeling?

Lol, you should take a look at the Class of 2013 thread. Those of us who work full-time are all counting down the days before we quit (65 for me) :)

I'm feeling excited, but a bit fearful and anxious to be honest. A little bit fearful that I won't be able to keep up and I'll get trampled quickly by the volume and anxious about being able to make friends and meaningful relationships that get me through medical school... But more than that, very excited and thankful to have the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally share your frustration and anxiety. It's not even so much that i can't wait to start classes (cause honestly, they sound terrifying); i just cant wait to move to my new city, figure out housing, buy furniture and books, and all that good stuff. I want to meet my classmates and figure out where to hang out and where to buy food. I want to get through orientation and get the organizational stuff dealt with. Anyway, yeah my job is killing me lately...glad there are others who feel this way...

Seems I'm the only one who likes my job...

But don't worry dudes,tommorow is St. Patrick's Day. We can all go get trashed, that'll make one evening go quickly.

Seems I'm the only one who likes my job...

But don't worry dudes,tommorow is St. Patrick's Day. We can all go get trashed, that'll make one evening go quickly.

I wanna go out tomorrow, but I have anatomy midterms the following morning :(

Drink my share tomorrow though Yoda, since its St. Patty's day you can start early ;)

The madness starts Thursday at 12:25 in Kansas City, everyone knows this.