the magic numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fossaha

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
obviously, numerical stats can take someone only so far in the application process.

but is it true that someone with a 3.8 GPA (sci and non-sci), and a 39R MCAT will get an interview anywhere?

i.e., can numbers alone _at least_ guarantee an interview at the top med schools? (beyond which the candidate would have to sell himself just like anyone else)

what have you all heard, those in and those beyond the app process?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Fossaha,
I know you are new to this group so it is understandable to ask questions about numbers. Search some recent threads, there is PLENTY of info there.
The condensed version is this: There are no hard fast rules for the application process. There are some generalities but there are exceptions to every case. Application acceptance is as personal as the individual applying.

That's an amazing response to a commonly asked question! One that I've been guilty of asking myself.

Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
many thanks.....sorry about the strange question (it looks funny now that i read it again).

it's actually about my friend, who is convinced that with his stats he only needs to apply to 2 or 3 top schools. i'm trying to convince him otherwise (at least 8-10 schools)...does that sound like logical advice to give to someone with numbers like that?

Maybe he should apply to only 2-3 schools... His arrogance may teach him a lesson....

Definitely a good advice to apply to a few more, you never know what'll happen....

It really depends on the schools - I know people with strong stats who applied to only 3 or 4 schools and got into all of them, but it was not ivy league caliber. I would never recommend that someone apply to 2 or 3 schools, no matter what the persons stats are or his or her undergrad background. There are simply no guarantees in the process.

This is the problem with us science people. We expect everything to be solved with a formula. I wonder if pre-law students do the same thing...

I think on average, people are applying to around 15 schools now. At the very least, I would recommend that your friend apply to 5-10 schools, and those should definitely NOT all be schools in the Top 10 -- it's best to have somewhat of a range -- a few mid-range school and maybe a few "safer" schools as well (assuming he's not from CA, his/her state school would fall into this category).

I have friends who had excellent stats, and did not get interviews at all of the top ten schools they applied to. Col_4:14 put it extremely well when he said that the application process is an extremely individual one, and a process in which there are no guarantees.