1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

The major downsides of Psych

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by med99, Dec 7, 2005.

1. med99

med99 Member
    5+ Year Member

Wanted peoples opinion on what the perceive as the major downsides of psychiatry?

I have yet to do a psych rotation but definitely am still considering it as a career. Do the majority of psychiatrists spend most of their time just managing psych meds?

Thankyou for any feedback
    Med99

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrIng

DrIng Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mainly the downsides are fairly obvious: you're dealing with people some of whom are agressive,a few who are unpredictable and a few who are just plain nasty, but most of them are great. the downsides are things like physical and verbal aggression, stalking etc. However, all these things can also happen if you work in ED, or family practice, or even just in a bar!

4. willow212

willow212 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the downsides vary for each person. I think dealing with inadequate resources/systems for patients, stigma against mental illness, and difficult patients are things that are hardest for me. However, the up sides are numerous!

In addition, there is a large variation between the percentage of time that each person spends doing psychopharm vs. other things. Sure, there are some psychiatrists who prefer to do psychopharm (but even then, there is a range of what people might choose to specialize in (mood disorders, psychotic disorders, etc.) and what populations they decide to work with (child/adolescent, geriatrics, forensic, inpatient psychiatric units, consult-liaison, etc.)

Some psychiatrists go on to do mostly therapy (and many of these do extra training in analysis), and there are many that do therapy a few hours a week, or do combined medications and therapy. Others do purely basic science research, work in administration, or teach, or combine these things with therapy and clinical work.

I see a lot more of my attendings having the time and flexibility to maintain involvement with varied interests than in other fields, where docs may not have the time to do other things.

So in sum, my view of the field is that some psychiatrists enjoy spending most of their time managing medications, but the possibilities for fulfilling work in psychiatry are much more varied than it might seem at first glance.

You'll get a better sense once you do your rotation, and it would help to ask your attendings what else they do once you get there. Good luck sorting our your career decision!

5. littlepurplepil

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    anybody worry about missing procedures? I really enjoy psych & think that the various opportunities in the field allow for a lot of individualization when it comes to how I work & what I do each day, but I'm concerned that I'll miss working with my hands; cutting, sewing, physically "doctoring"...has anyone faced a similar dilema? Do those of you out there in residency or practice miss working with your hands in medicine?

6. Solideliquid

Solideliquid Members Only
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

That is mainly surgery (and subspecialities) turf, as an Internal Med doc you rarely do this in a common practice (same with Peds. and FP).

7. willow212

willow212 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I do miss doing procedures a little bit - used to love doing ABGs as an intern (after I got good at it). You're right, there isn't much procedure work in psychiatry (unless you specialize in ECT). It was a bit of a process in med school to realize that I couldn't do everything I enjoyed in medicine, but that I should do what I enjoyed the most overall.

Everyone has a different profile of interests, so I would think about how you want to balance your overall interests. It might also be interesting to see what attendings and such say after 10 years of doing procedure work, how much they still enjoy it vs. when they first started doing it.

If you do end up doing psych, you could always take up a hobby where you use your hands...