The Making of a Surgeon, Dr. William Nolen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vandalia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, have any of the attendings, residents, or medical students here read The Making of a Surgeon by Dr. William Nolen? Or even heard of it/him?

Back when I was in medical school, when Hippocrates was the IM Chief Resident, that was the "must read" book for medical students. Nolen was also the public face of medicine in the U.S. in the 70's, with a daily newspaper column and appearances on the Tonight Show, up until his untimely death c. 1985. Sort of like a competent Dr. Oz.

The book describes his residency training as a surgeon at Bellevue in the early 50's. Less well known is a second book, A Surgeon's World that describes his first few years in private practice. If you can find a copy, both are worth a read. The former for a world where a routine inguinal hernia repair would be kept inpatient for 14 days, and a surgery resident three days into his second year would be on-call on a pathology rotation and be the entire Bellevue pathology department overnight. The latter because you will suddenly realize why things like "credentials committee" and the Stark Act were necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Read Making of a Surgeon as a junior resident (maybe PGY2?). His description of his first operation as lead surgeon (appendectomy) is a classic. Still applies today, to any surgical specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read it in undergrad. Really reaffirmed my interest in surgery. Its definitely one of those must-reads for those in medicine.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The Making of a Surgeon was one of the first books that I read when I was contemplating a career transition from finance into medicine. It along with "when the air hits your brain" and "walk on water: the miracle of saving children's lives" pushed me through my prerequisites and the bulk of medical school. Excellent book. I intend on reading all of them again before/in residency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wish I had some motivation to read it...