The many views of the "Right" University

hd030

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that it is very important to consider factors in addition to "how easy" it will be. Firstly, to some extent, med schools will consider the caliber of the undergrad that you are coming from.

Secondly, extracurricular activities (volunteering, research) are extremely important for a successful application. Try to look into how easy it is to get into research, how much funding there is, what kinds of student groups there are, whether there is a program for shadowing in the hospital, etc.

You'll probably also want to consider other aspects of student life, such as the living situation, location, advising and support, and more.

Believe me, it was really nice to go to an undergrad where research opportunities and grants were abundant and all I had to do to scrub into several surgeries was basically sign some papers. Plus, I was really happy because I loved all the activities that were offered at the school (opportunities to volunteer, famous people came to speak, there were lots of artistic performances, etc.).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, i agree that the quality of education is another important factor to consider. But will going into a class where the class average is lower change my GPA to a reasonable extent? And is it also true medschools do not consider where we did our undergraduate studies?

Also, how will I have to change my study habits to prepare for university? Are there any things I will need to do or should do to increase my chances at medschool?

Advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
I noted that med schools do, to some extent, care about where you did your undergrad. The director of admissions at my med school has confirmed this, though he would not tell us exactly how it is taken into account. A 3.8 from Princeton is probably more impressive than a 3.8 from Random State University, though a 4.0 from Random State University may be more impressive than a 3.6 at Princeton. So, the appearance does matter, but it's not everything.

I can't answer your question ("But will going into a class where the class average is lower change my GPA to a reasonable extent?")... it depends on you. Maybe you'll still do well, maybe you'll do okay, maybe you won't do well. I don't know.

I don't know if you'll have to change your study habits - everyone needs to adjust somewhat to college, and don't worry - med schools understand this. If you did not-so-hot your first quarter but then continued to improve as you adjusted to the different types of classes, they will be impressed. You'll just have to wait and see what comes at you.

As I mentioned above, you should definitely get involved in things outside of class. Not everything you do has to be related to medicine; I did a lot of teaching, and this was positively looked upon. However, you should get some clinical experiences (volunteering in a hospital, for example) to 1) see if medicine is really right for you and 2) demonstrate to med schools that you know what you're getting into. Research is also something that applicants commonly do. You'll want to be well-rounded and be able to demonstrate that you have interests that you are passionate about and dedicated to - it's not all about the numbers.

The way you should look at it like this. Going to Harvard and getting a 4.0 is much more impressive than getting a 4.0 at a no-name university; however, getting a 3.3 at Harvard is not going to help you in any way. Therefore doing well at a challenging university is impressive, but not doing well is not gonna score you any points. I personally think you should go to the "bigger" name university, because if you do happen to succeed...you will be given much more credit for the GPA you do have. Be confident, who knows you might succeed at that school, don't settle.....

Hey, I know med school is your "goal," but if I had a nickle for the number of students who said they were pre-med and switched, I would be a rich man. I would select an undergrad that you like, not what med schools like. Don't screw yourself over what you think med schools want you to do. I promise it's not that big of a deal.

My advice is to not let medical school enter into this decision whatsoever. And I really mean that because it just doesn't matter. For undergrad, its much more about giving yourself the right environment to grow as a person and do well. This includes school location, size, quality of the academics, and opportunities (clubs/research).

Of course undergrad is part of the path to medical school (if you end up even going through with it), but don't make it why you are going to undergrad. Undergrad is about making new friends, figuring yourself out, and testing your academic ability. The rest will fall into place.

Basically, I would just go wherever its cheapest, granted that the school is at least decent in terms of research oppurtunities, extracurriculars, or whatever else you're looking for. Its nice not having to pay a single dime to go to school.

And there's also a nice little high school forum on SDN that you may want to check out.

My advice is to not let medical school enter into this decision whatsoever. And I really mean that because it just doesn't matter. For undergrad, its much more about giving yourself the right environment to grow as a person and do well. This includes school location, size, quality of the academics, and opportunities (clubs/research).

Of course undergrad is part of the path to medical school (if you end up even going through with it), but don't make it why you are going to undergrad. Undergrad is about making new friends, figuring yourself out, and testing your academic ability. The rest will fall into place.

:thumbup: