The Match Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z Rejal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Z Rejal, Your scores are good for family medicine, psychiatry and maybe medicine. Surgery is also a place where you want to try your luck especialyy with your good surgery back ground. Your radiology training will help you in all of the above. Pediatrics will be a difficult task for you, don't waist your money on it. To increase your chances get the applicantguide lists in the above specialties and apply extensivle to whatever your budget permit.

Hi Z Rejal, Your scores are good for family medicine, psychiatry and maybe medicine. Surgery is also a place where you want to try your luck especialyy with your good surgery back ground. Your radiology training will help you in all of the above. Pediatrics will be a difficult task for you, don't waist your money on it. To increase your chances get the applicantguide lists in the above specialties and apply extensivle to whatever your budget permit.

Thank you so much for your reply. I think l will discard the idea of peds, and will stay with surgery, medicine and psych. But the problem is that some of my US LoRs are already recommending me to surgery! Should l replace these with home LoRs, or keep them just because they are US LoRs?

Concerning medicine, does my profile stand well for it? I felt from your words that my chances are slim, is that correct?

Thank you so much for your reply. I think l will discard the idea of peds, and will stay with surgery, medicine and psych. But the problem is that some of my US LoRs are already recommending me to surgery! Should l replace these with home LoRs, or keep them just because they are US LoRs?

Concerning medicine, does my profile stand well for it? I felt from your words that my chances are slim, is that correct?

You actually have good chances in IM but as a visa seeker it is always a safe practice to apply to backup specialties as FM and psych when your scores are not very high (like >240s). The key here is to apply widely in IM as well as other specilties.

Rearding the LORs, it can adversly affect you using LORs recommending you to one specialty to another specialty. Back home LORs are accepted and you can use them soley without the american LORs if needed in IM and other back up specialties.

Thank you so much for your words. Do you suggest a specific area when applying? Other than NY and NJ.