The Mayo Clinic is cutting physician salaries by 10%.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One can only hope this crisis and the fallout will continue to expose not only the overcompensation of most hospital administration, but the utter idiocy and redundancy of many of their positions in general.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One can only hope this crisis and the fallout will continue to expose not only the overcompensation of most hospital administration, but the utter idiocy and redundancy of many of their positions in general.

Agree.

I also hope it exposes how broken our economy is in general

Mayo clinic only gets the headlines because it's the Mayo clinic. Let's not kid ourselves, we have all had the same thing said to us by the bean counters in our respective institutions.

Salary cuts , hiring freeze , slashed travel expenses.....etc

Millions of dollars of projected loses should this thing drag on for too long.

And nothing will change. It'll be a repeat of 2008 with steroids.

Reactions: 6 users
Nonprofits try to spend and break even and use accounting tricks sometimes. So much money flowing in to this place.

10% isn't bad at all, considering.

Our (very large) private practice group went ahead and proactively said we're all going to be making 80% of what we made in 2019 through all of December 2019. At the end of the year we'll see where we are, and we could get a little money back if we've done ok. We were all perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Fortunately, we were able to get $$ from the government, even though we're not Ruth's Chris.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
One problem is the nature of revenue cycle in US healthcare. There are several steps that have to happen in order for you to be reimbursed for clinical services.

1. Do the service
2. Capture the charge
3. Submit the charge to your billing team
4. Charges are "scrubbed" appropriately
5. Charges are submitted to payors
6. Delays, denials can lead to more lag time and need to submit additional clinical documentation
7. You get paid for #1

The whole process can take between 3-7 weeks. Therefore, the cash you have on hand now is based on work that you performed 1 to 1.5 months prior; it is a lagging indicator. Many practices were probably doing fine 1.5 months ago so their cash in hand is probably decent. However, in the coming weeks they will see a precipitous decline.

There is also a problem on the recovery end of the COVID pandemic. Assuming the work comes back in and you are extremely busy catching up, you will be "cash poor" for several weeks before you get paid for the clinical services you render. This leads to the impression that one is working very hard but getting paid nothing.

One problem is the nature of revenue cycle in US healthcare. There are several steps that have to happen in order for you to be reimbursed for clinical services.

1. Do the service
2. Capture the charge
3. Submit the charge to your billing team
4. Charges are "scrubbed" appropriately
5. Charges are submitted to payors
6. Delays, denials can lead to more lag time and need to submit additional clinical documentation
7. You get paid for #1

The whole process can take between 3-7 weeks. Therefore, the cash you have on hand now is based on work that you performed 1 to 1.5 months prior; it is a lagging indicator. Many practices were probably doing fine 1.5 months ago so their cash in hand is probably decent. However, in the coming weeks they will see a precipitous decline.

There is also a problem on the recovery end of the COVID pandemic. Assuming the work comes back in and you are extremely busy catching up, you will be "cash poor" for several weeks before you get paid for the clinical services you render. This leads to the impression that one is working very hard but getting paid nothing.

Yes.

As it relates to this, that attestation you have to sign for your CMS money is supposed to be signed within 30 days. Our revenue this 30 days is likely on par with what we normally are at...but very likely in next 90 days will be down.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my urology buddies called me in complete TEARS because he hasn’t taken a Gleason 10 prostate out in weeks. Guy was besides himself

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Ya that’s definitely not happening. If anything they will be praised for guiding the hospitals through the disaster and will be given a raise. Don’t forget the adulation for healthcare workers is hot air. We could be given an individual tax break but no real interest in that, just hey thanks for what you do if you get covid we’ll send them thoughts and prayers.

Not every hospital admin sucks

Fake news! I’m kidding, that’s good to hear! Hopefully, this will the beginning of a new chapter regarding the value of the physicians.

I know of one hospital in Texas that gave everyone small bonuses for their "hard work during this difficult time". The story even made it to press, lots of pats on the back on social media. Two days later, they announced that they were going to start cut hours by 20-25% for at least 5 weeks. LOL. Some admins are not bad, but some can be outright manipulative.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
They are a destination hospital and no one is traveling. Maybe they will axe the carbon ion unit in Jacksonville.

Stanford to cut salaries by 20% for 10 weeks:

Knowing the Banner system, it’s a marketing play and adjustments will be made overtime as contracts get renewed (hope I’m just being pessimistic). They have had some good investments and adequate cash on hand for now.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who are on 1 to 5 year contracts with a defined base salary, would anyone consider declaring the employer to be in breach after being threatened with a pay cut? A potential benefit is getting out of non-compete clause.

For those who are on 1 to 5 year contracts with a defined base salary, would anyone consider declaring the employer to be in breach after being threatened with a pay cut? A potential benefit is getting out of non-compete clause.
Only after you have another job in hand. My wife is planning this with her current employer.

Stanford cutting pay across the board for everyone by 20% for the next 10 weeks.

• Haha
Ha
Stanford cutting pay across the board for everyone by 20% for the next 10 weeks.

Ha! I just posted that link above.

• Wow

including doctors

• Haha
Pandemics have happened. And will happen again.
In the between-pandemic periods, places like Stanford and Mayo put beautiful fountains and sculptures everywhere (you'd almost think Stanford had presaged corona!), $10000+ paintings in the hallways, an iPad and 65" OLED in every "special" patients' rooms, etc.
One way that the Mayos/Stanfords etc. could really signal they know what's up, medically-speaking, is to reduce expenditures in the between-pandemic periods... frugality to achieve savings for the inevitable rainy days. Then, healthcare workers wouldn't have to be penalized for admins' lack of foresight--and (seeming) lack of knowledge re: medicine, public health, economics, etc.
Just a thought!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Are they going to compensate physicians for the pay cut when this is over?

Are they going to compensate physicians for the pay cut when this is over?

Of course, the administration will return their bonuses for all the physicians generating the revenue, and the insurance companies making profits off their recurring payment model will give back all the excess premiums relative to expenditures they received as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Looks like 10% pay cut here, 20% for "highest earners", 25% for C-level types.

I'm just as busy as ever. The cancer center barely slowed down through this, and I didn't slow down at all. I'm owed a bonus about 20% of my base salary that I'm afraid they're going to keep as well. Sigh.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

I'm just as busy as ever. The cancer center barely slowed down through this, and I didn't slow down at all. I'm owed a bonus about 20% of my base salary that I'm afraid they're going to keep as well. Sigh.

I’m surprised they haven’t broken the news to you earlier.

You’re screwed either way it sounds. Why not just slow down? Even if you generate the same pre COVID revenue it’ll probably be taken to pay for other messes elsewhere in the system.

You’re screwed either way it sounds. Why not just slow down? Even if you generate the same pre COVID revenue it’ll probably be taken to pay for other messes elsewhere in the system.

Because he has patients that need his care? Slowing down doesn’t even enter the picture for a lot of us.

I have a colleague i a similar situation though employed, private practice.

His hospital is cutting pay 20% but "promising" he'll get that money over the next year or two when things pick back up on their balance sheet. I'd hope they would at least do that for you.

if he “slows down”, admins will track his declining RVUs and cut his pay more. Rad oncs are easy to replace. Many people would line up to take a job these days.

if he “slows down”, admins will track his declining RVUs and cut his pay more. Rad oncs are easy to replace. Many people would line up to take a job these days.

Again, if volumes collapse enough he will be on the Choping go block. Probably better directing efforts elsewhere.

Again, if volumes collapse enough he will be on the Choping go block. Probably better directing efforts elsewhere.

Perhaps. Speaking generally. Don’t know anybodys personal situation. What i do know is admins, and they don’t let a good crisis go to waste. Admins are doing lots of thinking at the moment. More socializing of losses and privatization of gains

All I know is that literally a trillion dollars was given out and I haven’t seen any of it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
All I know is that literally a trillion dollars was given out and I haven’t seen any of it.

"Let me tell you something. There’s no nobility in poverty. I’ve been a rich man and I’ve been a poor man. And I choose rich every f**king time."
– Jordan Belfort

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
"Let me tell you something. There’s no nobility in poverty. I’ve been a rich man and I’ve been a poor man. And I choose rich every f**king time."
– Jordan Belfort

He was a crook but at the same time I can’t say I don’t think like him...every now and then.

• Haha
He was a crook but at the same time I can’t say I don’t think like him...every now and then.

back in the early IMRT days, rad oncs were like in act 2 of wolf of wall street, including the qualuudes and prostitutes. scarb remembers

• Haha
back in the early IMRT days, rad oncs were like in act 2 of wolf of wall street, including the qualuudes and prostitutes. scarb remembers
I once saw a rad onc land his chopper in a field outside the center so he could do a single OTV
– Jordan Belfort
Jordy's a real mensch. Actually a great guy. He was going to be a dentist, applied and got in and everything, but on the first day of dental school the dean said "The golden age of dentistry is over; pick another profession!" What's a warning future rad oncs are never gonna get for $2000, Alex.

• Haha
Pandemics have happened. And will happen again.
In the between-pandemic periods, places like Stanford and Mayo put beautiful fountains and sculptures everywhere (you'd almost think Stanford had presaged corona!), $10000+ paintings in the hallways, an iPad and 65" OLED in every "special" patients' rooms, etc.
One way that the Mayos/Stanfords etc. could really signal they know what's up, medically-speaking, is to reduce expenditures in the between-pandemic periods... frugality to achieve savings for the inevitable rainy days. Then, healthcare workers wouldn't have to be penalized for admins' lack of foresight--and (seeming) lack of knowledge re: medicine, public health, economics, etc.
Just a thought!
Denver Health Executives Get Bonuses 1 Week After Workers Asked To Take Cuts

• Haha