The MCAT Bomb has dropped.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EReze

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I totally bombed my MCATs. I got a horrible score (18) and i have already sent my secondaries to 4 schools, i had 4 left by i don't even feel its worth it to continue applying. I hate to give up on myself, but I know its basically over at this point. If I take it again in April, will that score allow me to get in for the 2004 school year, or am I automatically out until 2005?:(

Members don't see this ad.

dammmnn.....18???

wut da hell happened? were u staring at some hot chic( or stud) during the test???

I'll never even think about becoming a Doc with that score....

C'mon man(or girl)....Get REAL!

:rolleyes:

EReze, sorry but if you take the test again in April, the scores won't be available until around June, and that's too late for 2004. Besides, most schools have deadlines around January or February so April is too late anyway.

Plan on taking the MCAT again in April, but it will be for the entering class of 2005. If you don't do well again, you can still retake it a third time in August and still be in the running for 2005. Above all, DON'T GIVE UP!! That stinking test is not the be-all end-all for a medical career (yes, I hate the MCAT in case you didn't pick up on that).

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jatroswellpk

The dean of admissions for a medical school in Texas told me that they admitted a student with a 19 on their MCAT.
In anycase study really hard for the April test, take lots of practice exams and I'm sure you will do much better.

and besides you never know what may come of the four secondaries you've already sent.

Think of this as an oportunity to be able to apply really early next year and gain more experience during the next year.

All is not lost.

Originally posted by Megalofyia
The dean of admissions for a medical school in Texas told me that they admitted a student with a 19 on their MCAT.

I know this is the osteopathic forum but I had an allopathic interview this week and had an intresting story. The interviewer went off on the MCAT and I like a good interviewee listened with concern. :) Anyway, he was saying that any school that lets in a student with less than a 24 has to put in writing to their medical licensing board why they accepted someone with such a low MCAT. What he stated, is that this showed to the accrediation committees that they were not lowering the standards of the accrediated school. Personally, I just smiled and listened to him but I dunno if I believed him. Since I read on the applicat profiles many people with a wide variation of MCATs (like the 19) getting into schools.

He also went off about people with 24 or less should not be admitted to schools as they will fail out anyways. Again I just smiled and hoped he was going to ask a question that pertained to my application at some point. :rolleyes: One of the more..."interesting" interviews I have had.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't have an interviewer like that. . .

Originally posted by Megalofyia
Wow, I'm glad I didn't have an interviewer like that. . .

Ahhhh yes. At least he didn't grill me on my scores or GPA. I think he asked me two questions in my 30 minute interview and spent most of the time going off on students who had failed his physiology class and how they lacked the "motivation" to do well in medical school. The girl that interviewed before me was basically told that cause she was female and out of state that she would have a hard time getting in. Left her wondering why she came for an interview.

This was the second of two interviews and the first was pretty cool, just the second was too odd.

Huh.. and this is why the osteopathic interviews are so much better. ;)

Actually, while this might be off topic, I have noticed that the interviewers and interviewees at my osteopathic interviews have been great. Even going as far as to get together after the interviews to eat dinner and hang out. In the alleopathic interviews nobody is nearly as friendly and the interviewees seem alot more reserve and non communitive.

the only time i ever got floored by an interviewer was when i told one i thought i wanted to do pediatric oncology, and he told me "well, all that will be cured by the time you are done. what will you do then?" I actually said "I guess that I hope it isnt cured before then"...Never really recovered after that :)

MUHAHAHHAHAHA. Sorry to laugh at that cause I bet you were irked at the time but that is so funny. It seems like something I would have done in my interviews. Though at the time I bet you were kicking yourself for not thinking of something more witty.

then you do think of somehting more witty.....on the flight home. DOH!

The average MCAT for DO schools ranges from about 22-27-ish. So some schools w/ the lower averages have taken 18s before. Neither of the two schools that I am thinking of are in Jersey and favor those from their states or regions. Nevertheless, try to apply w/ these scores to these "lower MCAT averages schools" to give it a shot for 2004. Call all these schools to let them know you are very interested and for them to realize they should look beyond your standardized test scores.

Originally posted by Robz
MUHAHAHHAHAHA. Sorry to laugh at that cause I bet you were irked at the time but that is so funny. It seems like something I would have done in my interviews. Though at the time I bet you were kicking yourself for not thinking of something more witty.

then you do think of somehting more witty.....on the flight home. DOH!

Yeah, it was my first of two interviews...needless to say, I thought of some witty stuff in the second interview (also known as the "do you know your way to the airport from here?" interview)

Retake and reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jatroswellpk
dammmnn.....18???

wut da hell happened? were u staring at some hot chic( or stud) during the test???

C'mon man(or girl)....Get REAL!

:rolleyes:

guess I asked for this one---- JERKOFF!

anyway i know how important the MCAT is because it is a leveling platform, but i hate the fact that your 4 years of great grades can be completely ingnored for a 1 day test. It is no measure of my intelligence, its a measure of how well i can take a test. I plan on re-taking because this is my dream but who in the HELL can say i can't be a doctor because of a score--- i will be a better doctor than most of these 1/2 assers because i am willing to work hard not shield myself behind a number--- DUMB ASS!

WOAH dude! Calm down. There are people here willing to help. Just try and ignore the trolls. I'll let you know I graduated in 99' and I took the MCAT in April 2000 I scored a whopping 21 on my test. Yeah a 21. Woooooooooooo. I went back to work, studied my butt off, went back and took the test again and did much better. I'm applying this year and I have had many interviews both allopathic and osteopathic. It takes a good amount of work but it is a right of passage. I was right there screaming that the MCAT was not a indication of my intelligence but I could whine about it or I could put my nose to the grind stone and get my work done. Hard work and dedication worked for me. I know your upset but you can be unhappy or you can do something about it. What's more productive?

what you need at this stage is an advocate. everyone i know with really low scores that has been admitted has had someone to go to bat for them. i would suggest you pick a school you are interested in, find an alumnus(or even better a faculty member if possible), shadow them, impress them, and have them write you a letter saying you are the best damn student in the world. it is not too late to do this. i applied very late last year, with weak numbers but stellar letters and got in. additionally, a phone call follow up to the dean from an alumnus is powerful medicine for poor numbers. good luck, and don't give up.

it's nice to see how positive everyone is being to you. start studying now for Aprils test, and get help if you can afford it. but don't let it make you think you weren't made to be a doctor.

try to assess what made you not so prepared- was it certain subjects? Or maybe things it was having to do with taking it, like needing a pair of reading glasses (which helped me trmendously). work on those things, and PM me if you need anything- my first practice test was a 12 (!).

I know it's not for everyone, but the Princeton Review helped me go up 7 or 8 points from my first practice exam. 8 points up from 18 puts you at a nice 26. It's an intense course, but I recommend it, particularly to those who have trouble self-motivating, or for those who have test anxiety. (They give you so many practice exams that by the time the real exam comes you're just glad you don't have to take any more! No worries!)

Good luck.

Originally posted by SargonZ
I know it's not for everyone, but the Princeton Review helped me go up 7 or 8 points from my first practice exam. 8 points up from 18 puts you at a nice 26. It's an intense course, but I recommend it, particularly to those who have trouble self-motivating, or for those who have test anxiety. (They give you so many practice exams that by the time the real exam comes you're just glad you don't have to take any more! No worries!)

Good luck.

yeah. what he said. PR is really good, and practice tests are the key. if you can afford the $1400, it is worth every penny. the 12 i mentioned above turned into a 25 after three months of PR.

Originally posted by EReze
I totally bombed my MCATs. I got a horrible score (18) and i have already sent my secondaries to 4 schools, i had 4 left by i don't even feel its worth it to continue applying. I hate to give up on myself, but I know its basically over at this point. If I take it again in April, will that score allow me to get in for the 2004 school year, or am I automatically out until 2005?:(

Hi, Sorry things have been rough for you. I would suggest you keep going this application cycyle. You have already paid your money so why not finish everything as if your MCAT score was ok. If all 8 schools reject you, then you know you must take the MCAT over and do better. If by chance you get an interview, talk to them about.....Maybe your application will reach someone who will look beyond the low score.

You would really have to have an incredible total application in order to compensate for your low score. It will really be hard, but maybe there is a chance.

This is why I suggest to all to take the April MCAT and then if you bomb it you can take August dureing the same application cycle.

Try to figure out why you scored so low. Is there a certain section or subject you are having trouble with. I never could get physics, in fact I HATED IT. I knew no matter what I tried I would never understandit and it would bring down my PS score, which it did indeed do. So I concentrated on verbal and got a great score. That is the subject you can get better at if you practice a whole bunch. There is no studying, just repetition.

Get the big Kaplan book and Princeton Review books at your local book store and work through them both. You have time till April, unless you are in school full time now which is rough.

Good luck. I feel for you and know what you are facing. I scored the same the first time I took it, due to my grandmother's death and my hate for physics. But I did improve during my August 2001 MCAT. My verbal really helped a whole bunch!!

Good luck. :)

Dont worry about it.....I originally had gotten a 19 on my first try and then when i retook it i did much better. Still i know many people who had gotten in wiht 19's on this god for saken test. DOnt let it get you down and dont let listen to these idiots who say that you wont be a good doctor. I wonder what kind of doctors these people will be.

Thank you very much almost all of the posts were really helpful. I just have to ignore ignorance and listen to all the really good advice. I am definately taking it again in April-- and I am still trying to work the knowing the right people angle--- hope it works. :rolleyes:

My MCAT bomb dropped like a tactical nuke. +pissed+

I have known people who got 30+ on the MCAT and they are *****s. I don't think that it is a good measurement of med school potential. It measures how well you can do on a standardized test. I have heard of people who scored in the teens and got in. Good GPA and extras have weight too.

Originally posted by SargonZ

Good luck.

Hey, you should go into advertising for TPR if you are that enthusiastic about them. Your post sounds almost verbatim like their current advertising materials.

Anyway, going up 8 points from the first PR practice test is WAYYYY different from going up 8 points from a real MCAT.

The way I see it, there are two types that shouldn't be doctors. Those who can't handle it, and those who are total jerk-asses. ****, you obviously don't fall into the former category, congratulations.

EReze:

I just wanted to write a quick post and remind you to not give up and keep working hard. Please don't take ****'s comments to heart. It seems to me like he needs to put people down to make himself feel better. I find it particularly amusing that someone (****) can put down your intelligence in a post where I counted at least 13 (yes, I said 13) errors. I don't think this was merely a coincidence. Just know that **** will be torn apart and ripped to pieces by attendings and residents during rotations if this kind of attitude continues.

Many people take the MCAT more than once. I also understand why you may have chosen not to take the April MCAT. Just because you took the test in August does not mean you (or anyone else) needs to "grow up" or take more "personal responsibility. There is a reason the exam is given twice every year. I myself did not take the April MCAT because I simply did not have the time to study. In addition to attending and studying for my undergrad courses, I was working 40 hours a week (yes mommy and daddy did not spoon feed me), volunteering 8 hours a week, and shadowing a physician 4 hours a week. There was just more time for me to study once my classes had ended. Whatever your reasons may be, try to honestly evaluate your situation and make the changes that need to be made. Focus on your strengths and make them stand out in your application.

Many physicians and admission committee members have told me that the MCAT does not correlate to one's ability to pass the boards. Medical school is hard, but I know that I did not ace the MCAT and am still passing all of my exams so far in medical school. Also, as **** may be unaware, your grades during the first two years of medical school are not as important as your performance in clinical rotations and your board scores.

You should take the advice of the more constructive people on this thread. Continue this application cycle so you can learn from your mistakes this time around and become a better applicant for the next year. Take the April MCAT (or the August MCAT), but change the way you studied for it the first time. Hire a private tutor if you need one. Try to take one of the prep courses. Write an excellent and unique personal statement. Give it to as many qualified people as you can to critique it. Make sure you have many different clinical experiences (i.e. volunteer work, paid position in a hospital, research, and physician shadowing, etc.). Practice interviewing and make sure you shine during interviews). Express a genuine interest in the schools to which you are applying. Call their admissions department to tell them how much you like their school or write a letter to the school's dean expressing your interest.

You CAN make your application better. It will be hard work, but you already know that. I wish you all the luck in applying to medical school.

****:

You are forgetting about the other two boards that one must pass to become fully licensed. Anyhow ****/Gunner, why didn't you get into a top ten medical school? I guess by your definition you too are a slacker.

Have a nice weekend.

The ability of a medical school admission process to predict clinical performance and patients' satisfaction.

Basco WT Jr, Gilbert GE, Chessman AW, Blue AV.

Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: The authors evaluated the ability of a two-step admission process to predict clinical performance and patients' satisfaction on a third-year objective structured clinical examination (OSCE). METHOD: Subjects were three matriculating classes (1993, 1994, 1995) at one medical school. Data for the classes were analyzed separately. Independent variables were the Academic Profile (AP), an initial ranking of applicants based on grade-point ratio and MCAT scores, and the Selection Profile (SeP), an average of three interview scores. Interviews were offered based on AP rank, and admission was offered based on SeP rank. Dependent variables were total score on the faculty-graded portion of the OSCE and patients' satisfaction scores completed by the OSCE standardized patients. The authors evaluated the correlations between AP and OSCE performance and between SeP and OSCE performance. The authors also compared the OSCE performances of students whose ranks changed after interviews (SeP rank < AP rank or SeP rank > AP rank). The level of significance was adjusted for the number of comparisons (Bonferroni method). RESULTS: Complete data were available for 91% of eligible students (n = 222). No class showed a significant correlation between either AP or SeP rankings and OSCE performance (p > .01). Likewise, there was no difference in OSCE performance for students whose ranks changed after the interview. CONCLUSIONS: The admission ranking and interview process at this medical school did not predict clinical performance or patients' satisfaction on this OSCE.

PMID: 10926028 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

---

J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2000 Mar;100(3):153-61.

Relationship of preadmission variables and first- and second-year course performance to performance on the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners' COMLEX-USA Level 1 examination.

Baker HH, Cope MK, Fisk R, Gorby JN, Foster RW.

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Lewisburg 24901, USA. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship of performance on the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX-USA) Level 1 licensing examination to (1) academic performance during the first 2 years of the curriculum, and (2) preadmission grade point averages (GPAs) and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores for one osteopathic medical school with the unique mission of providing osteopathic family physicians for West Virginia and rural Appalachia. Simple correlations were calculated for the 63 students at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine who completed all requirements of the first 2 years of the curriculum in May 1998 and were first eligible for board exams in June 1998. These included 26 (41.3%) female students and 5 (7.9%) minority students. Students who had failed a year and/or a course but subsequently successfully completed the first 2 years of the curriculum in May 1998 were included in this study. Every student who qualified to take the June 1998 administration of COMLEX-USA Level 1 did so at that time. For the 55 academic or preadmissions variables of interest, correlation coefficients with COMLEX-USA Level 1 scores and significance levels were calculated using SPSS Base 9.0. The correlation of COMLEX-USA Level 1 performance with GPA for Phase I was 0.64; with GPA for Phase II, 0.67; and total GPA for the first 2 years, 0.70. Grades in most individual courses also correlated significantly with COMLEX-USA Level 1 performance. Given the special focus of this curriculum on the needs of the Appalachian region and use of clinical performance measures or participation measures in calculating academic GPAs, these correlations show a remarkable degree of agreement between these two sets of performance measures. Further research is needed to see if similar relationships exist for osteopathic medical schools with other missions and with other curriculum structures. Preadmissions GPAs and MCATs did not significantly relate to performance on COMLEX-USA Level 1.

PMID: 10763309 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

---

There are many abstracts pro and contra in regards to the MCAT being a preditor of subsequent performance in medical school.

I am no statistician, so I cannot comment on the validity or rigorousness of any of these studies, but the one thing that is clear is that there is no final word on the utility of the MCAT that can be drawn from them.

The one thing I do take heart in is that the majority of the people posting are supportive - that's the kind of people *I* want to be in school with. Med skool is hard enough - not being in a supportive environment just makes it that much more miserable.

- Tae

The mcat is a critical thinking test. medical school contrary to popular belief has little to do with critical thinking skills, and everything to do with discipline and hard work. the mcat is a tool in the admissions process and has little to do with how you will perform in med school. some of the people i know with horrible mcat scores do great, and some with good scores do only medicore.

yea...i know what you mean......I have known geniuses who could only score a 27.....these guys are 4.0 valedvictorians in their high school coming in with 60+ AP hours...having 32+ on their ACT's..and 4.0's in college as well.....so the MCAT is no way evaluating your knowledge..........then again I've known complete *******es that have gotten 30+.....the MCAT tests your ability on how to take a test......think about it...the princeton review (which I have taken)....spends at least 25% of their time teaching you techniques...such as skim the passages...don't fully read them...and bla bla bla....and wow..the verbal....their whole lectures on verbal is teaching you techniques........so that just proves something....

DIE MCAT!!!!!!!!!!