The MCAT Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks in advance.

I'll be a second semester sophomore soon, and I'm really considering spending 5 years in undergrad. Here is what I was thinking

Summer 2013: Research/Shadowing/Volunteering/Summer Classes - maybe a few of these

Summer 2014: MCAT prep class + a few of the above?

So then I would take the MCAT during the Spring of 2015, where I would then open up AMCAS during the Summer of 2015 to apply for medical school starting Fall 2016.

I'm scheduled to graduate as part of the class of 2015. If I do this plan, however, I would be part of the class of 2016. Since the MCAT is changing for those intending to enter medical school during the fall of 2016, would I take the old MCAT or the new MCAT? If I were to take the old one, then would it still be eligible when I apply?

Secondly, what do you think I should do? I would love to spend another year improving my grades, doing research, and just improving myself for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT changes in 2015, meaning every test date from January 1st, 2015 onward will be an administration of the 2015 MCAT, regardless of when you plan to apply or enter med school. If you take the MCAT before 2015, your scores will still be valid and accepted by schools in accordance with their typical policies (e.g. scores 3 years old or less are considered by many schools). If you take the MCAT in 2014 you can apply during 2015 and still use your 2014 score.

Whether or not you should actually take a gap year is a personal matter. What would you do during that year?

The MCAT changes in 2015, meaning every test date from January 1st, 2015 onward will be an administration of the 2015 MCAT, regardless of when you plan to apply or enter med school. If you take the MCAT before 2015, your scores will still be valid and accepted by schools in accordance with their typical policies (e.g. scores 3 years old or less are considered by many schools). If you take the MCAT in 2014 you can apply during 2015 and still use your 2014 score.

Whether or not you should actually take a gap year is a personal matter. What would you do during that year?

It's not really a gap year. I would still be enrolled in the university, taking the usual number of hours and etc. It would let me do whatever research and things that I would otherwise not be able to do. I'm even thinking about graduating during the fall semester of 2015 and spending the next few months doing research if I can get into a lab.

It's not really a gap year. I would still be enrolled in the university, taking the usual number of hours and etc. It would let me do whatever research and things that I would otherwise not be able to do. I'm even thinking about graduating during the fall semester of 2015 and spending the next few months doing research if I can get into a lab.

Ah right, I misread your post where you said you'd be switching to the class of 2016, my bad. In that case if you want to I saw go for it. If spending another year in college isn't a financial burden and you want an extra year to improve your grades and experiences that sounds like a good use of the time to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take it in 2015, then you will have to deal with an extra section, which i am sure you are aware of (If not you can visit the MCAT website) -

1) Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems,
2) Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems,
3) Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior, and
4) Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills (AKA Verbal section)

Looking at the new stuff, it seems you will have to have extra knowledge of psychology and sociology at baseline - than that was required in the old verbal section. Also means more questions for each section (P-52, B-52, V-40) compared to 67 in all sections except section 4 - 60Qs.
If you can try to take it before the new stuff comes online as it will be an unknown. I didn't look closely enough to see if they are cutting certain areas of the test - content wise or not. I am just glad, i was done when I was.

Good Luck

Ah right, I misread your post where you said you'd be switching to the class of 2016, my bad. In that case if you want to I saw go for it. If spending another year in college isn't a financial burden and you want an extra year to improve your grades and experiences that sounds like a good use of the time to me.

No worries. Do you think that would work out for me? I really feel like condensing into 4 years is so rough and pressure intensive. Would it make me look like a weaker applicant if I were to do 5 years? Compared to someone who was able to do things in 4?

No worries. Do you think that would work out for me? I really feel like condensing into 4 years is so rough and pressure intensive. Would it make me look like a weaker applicant if I were to do 5 years? Compared to someone who was able to do things in 4?

I don't think I can speak to that.

CanIMakeIt has a point about the 2015 MCAT though, it will likely be more difficult to prepare for in addition to requiring more background knowledge than the current exam.

Hey guys, thanks in advance.

I'll be a second semester sophomore soon, and I'm really considering spending 5 years in undergrad. Here is what I was thinking

Summer 2013: Research/Shadowing/Volunteering/Summer Classes - maybe a few of these

Summer 2014: MCAT prep class + a few of the above?

So then I would take the MCAT during the Spring of 2015, where I would then open up AMCAS during the Summer of 2015 to apply for medical school starting Fall 2016.

I'm scheduled to graduate as part of the class of 2015. If I do this plan, however, I would be part of the class of 2016. Since the MCAT is changing for those intending to enter medical school during the fall of 2016, would I take the old MCAT or the new MCAT? If I were to take the old one, then would it still be eligible when I apply?

Secondly, what do you think I should do? I would love to spend another year improving my grades, doing research, and just improving myself for medical school.

I have a friend who basically did that. He spent 5 years in undergrad making sure his GPA was elite and never took any of those crazy stacked semesters. The admissions committees apparently don't care because he got into a top 10 med school. So not a bad idea I guess. He did double major tho, which is not really that hard, most people could get that done in 4 years.

I have a friend who basically did that. He spent 5 years in undergrad making sure his GPA was elite and never took any of those crazy stacked semesters. The admissions committees apparently don't care because he got into a top 10 med school. So not a bad idea I guess. He did double major tho, which is not really that hard, most people could get that done in 4 years.

Yeah, I believe that they don't even notice because the AMCAS shows classes up to 160 credit hours, so 1 more year wouldn't really seem to be seen.

I think I may go through with it.

Why's that? :confused:

Because we have finely tuned prep materials for the current format. And, most importantly, you can buy old AAMC tests of the current format. The guinea pigs taking the exam in 2015 will prep using materials that is essentially the prep companies best guess as what the testing format will be.

The pre-meds taking the 2015 test will be sitting next to employees of Kaplan, TPR, TBR, etc who will be studying the new format for the first time.

I'd go with what's certain.

Not entirely true, Mehd School. The AAMC will be releasing a new FL for the 2015 MCAT in 2014, along with the third edition of the Official Guide, also updated for the 2015 test.

While I totally agree with your premise, people (and especially prep companies) won't be going in blind.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I think you both have valid points.

SDN has great schedules for studying for the old mcat (SN2'd stuff) while companies will know what to do for the new one.