The MCAT Twitter Thread (AKA MCAT-oholics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so many of us are in the same boat, right?

We all have to take this exam, and lets be honest, it sucks. It's a roadblock and it's annoying. But we HAVE to do it, so we might as well enjoy it.

At the same time, I think having a 'support group' would be helpful. So why not post about MCAT trials/tribulations here?

Did you have an awesome study session? Grasp concept that you were having trouble with? Beast that practice test?

If so, post!

Did you have a crappy study session? Are you failing miserably at figuring out something seemingly simple? Just get frustrated at that practice exam you just took?

If so, post!

MCAT-oholics unite!

Members don't see this ad.

WHYYY am i stuck at a 31 aamc average plateau and keep making stupid stupid mistakes. jesus, so much freakin stress. ugh. heres hoping two and a half weeks is enough to raise it 3 pts:xf:

this thread is such a good idea!

i have really srated hardcore studying as of this week and this weekend. i have finished G-Chem Chap 1 using TBR/TPR/EK and Kaplan & GS for extra reinforcement. TBR has sooo much detail it's crazy! How is everyone doing the TBR passages (i.e. how soon after reading the chapter are you approaching the passages? and....are you doing all of the passages in one sitting as one exam? or like SN2 recommends? )But I know that TBR will def pay off in the long run! I am fully prepared 2give it ALL i've got!!:love::thumbup:

WHYYY am i stuck at a 31 aamc average plateau and keep making stupid stupid mistakes. jesus, so much freakin stress. ugh. heres hoping two and a half weeks is enough to raise it 3 pts:xf:

Haha I hit 31 on both my last 2 exams, but this time i was 2 questions away from a 33.

I'm hoping to get it together on sunday when I take aamc 8.

Watch out AAMC8, I'm coming for ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm reviewing aamc 7 that I took yesterday and I swear to god there is something wrong with my clicks because I could have sworn that I clicked a different answer than I see selected here in the passage.

That 1 vr question cost me from getting a 32. I really hope that mis clicking isn't something I have to worry about. Seriously, I'm furious that this is what it came down to. I must have changed the answer by mistake as I moved the mouse around the screen. So frustrating...

Edit: Now I'm LIVID. I missed one question in bio where the answer was blank. I had the right answer selected but it just didn't register the click. I swear that I'm not making this up. So I'm pretty sure that I got that 1 vr question and 1 extra bio question right and that this test was really a 33 and not a 31.

I hope this doesn't happen in 'real life'. I'm starting to get anxious about this. I guess I'll need to check and make sure things are right more diligently...

The VR one had something marked, but I'm marking the BS one with the answer I got bumping me to a 32 I believe. Has anyone else had issues like this or am I just an idiot when it comes to clicking something and making sure that it registers?

Last edited:
I HIT MY FIRST 10 IN BS today in an aamc test! I've only gone through 2 chapters in TBR ochem so far. I'm really sure i can push it up to a 12 at least after completing all the chapters. so inspired from this, BS has really been my downfall.

I'm reviewing aamc 7 that I took yesterday and I swear to god there is something wrong with my clicks because I could have sworn that I clicked a different answer than I see selected here in the passage.

That 1 vr question cost me from getting a 32. I really hope that mis clicking isn't something I have to worry about. Seriously, I'm furious that this is what it came down to. I must have changed the answer by mistake as I moved the mouse around the screen. So frustrating...

Edit: Now I'm LIVID. I missed one question in bio where the answer was blank. I had the right answer selected but it just didn't register the click. I swear that I'm not making this up. So I'm pretty sure that I got that 1 vr question and 1 extra bio question right and that this test was really a 33 and not a 31.

I hope this doesn't happen in 'real life'. I'm starting to get anxious about this. I guess I'll need to check and make sure things are right more diligently...

The VR one had something marked, but I'm marking the BS one with the answer I got bumping me to a 32 I believe. Has anyone else had issues like this or am I just an idiot when it comes to clicking something and making sure that it registers?

i usually click on 'review answers' to check that i've answered all the questions before ending the test. maybe do that? mistakes like that on the real deal would suck.

That will help me catch missed questions.

I'm not sure how I'd catch the 'mis clicks' i guess I'll just double check that like I have ocd.

Fine.

Yesterday was incredibly unproductive. Had some sushi and it literally killed my stomach, not fun, so I figured I might as well catch up on some of this :sleep:

Time for Ochem Passages/Individual Questions (1/2 of Ochem)

//Read Section 5 (TPR Lab Techniques) Done
// EK Lab Techniques Done
// EK Chapter 2 In Progress....ohhh Ochem how I hate thee so! Took 2 yrs to finish the Ochem series.
I feel as though it will take that same amount of time to finish MCAT ochem.
-Seems that TPR is missing Mass Spec. Hmmm...good thing EK has it

TPR Science Workbook: Ochem

Individual Q's

Section 2: 21/24
Section 3:
Section 4:
Section 5: 14/17
-weight contributes to BP significantly (c3 vs. c9)
-use vector addition for dipole moments
Section 6:

Passages

Section 2: Part 1

P5: 5/6
P6: *Stuff on NMR and fractional distillation, will come back*
P7: 7/7

Section 2: Part 2

P8: 2/5
P9: 2/6
P10: 4/6

Found my weakness :) + :(

//Switching to EK O-Chem; reason?
It follows the AAMC checklist more appropriately
and appeals to my need to cross that list off. I'll still do
TPR passages/questions as a supplement.

Section 3: Part 1

P11:
P12:
P13:
P14:

Section 3: Part 2

P15:
P16:
P17:
P18:

Section 5 Lab Techniques

P31: 3/4 [Dumb]
P32: 4/5
P33: 4/5
P34: [Saved]/7
P35: [Saved]/6

EK Ochem Chapter 2
In Chapter Q's:
1001's (210-496):

EK Ochem Chapter 4 [Lab Techniques]

In Chapter Q's: 7/8
1001 (911-1001 randomly): 59/65 = 90.7%

Last edited:
Took yesterday off.

I'm taking AAMC 8 today. I'll do that after dinner.

Till then, I'm going to do some kaplan q bank stuff for PS. Most notably, optics, e&m, light, and reaction rate stuff. Need to get my stuff together for PS. It's the only section that is completely under your control since more content knowledge directly translates to a higher score and this is the one I need to bring up.

Woot!

I'm doing some of these kaplan q bank ps questions and I have no idea wtf is going on in some of the voltage-ish questions...

I think I'm going to go back and do some of the EK chapter tests that I haven't done.

Last edited:
So my worst nightmare is coming true. Ive become sick :( I'm not really sure how but I was basically dead all day today, loading up on antibiotics and Vitamin C.

I'm hoping to kick this cold by like tomorrow so I can take AAMC 7 tuesday. Eeeek.

I'm also gonna start doing full length kaplan q bank questions for BS and PS every day I dont take an AAMC. I'm realizing that I have the content down cold, but my stress-freakout factor-timing is an issue and I'm making stupid mistakes along with finishing each section with 20+mins. So I'm hoping to calm myself down, spend longer on questions, go back to the passage, and stop overlooking minor details and reading the question wrong lol.

I'm doing aamc 8 and I just got my ass kicked by the PS section. I ran out of time because I could not make myself stop answering a question. I spent almost 10 mins on 1 question and the 30 mins I had for 2 passages and 5 discretes suddenly vanished. I'm upset about it.

Time to brush the shoulders off and see what happens.
9, 10, 11 are the ones that really count. I really need to move the **** on if I'm stuck. That one question isn't worth missing the last few or having to speed through them. I could have gone back to those 1-2 questions in the passage that I was just cluelessly stuck on...

Edit: Verbal was very challenging on this as well. Most of the time when I'm doing vr tests I get into an "I'm the boss mentality" and go through the passages and questions like I'm a mad surgeon with a scalpel making rash decisions because I know what I'm doing all the time.

This time I felt like a little puppy that was too scared to venture too far from it's mother. Taking BS now. I hope I can break 30 on this test. I've never been so out of it feeling during a practice exam.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping for straight 11's but I got straight 10's instead.

Given that this test felt much harder than the others, I think I might be okay with it. Though this has really shown me that I *really* need to leave and come back to a question if I get stuck on a PS calculation.

I'll figure out where I went wrong tomorrow. Looking at the scales, I barely made the 10's for PS/BS and I was 1 question away from an 11 on VR.

I need to beast 9, 10, and 11 now.

Though this is a little confidence inspiring because my 'bad day' and 'bad feelings' over a test led to a 30. Hoping to move forward with good vibes from here on out.

(Truth be told, I started seeing someone a little bit ago and I would start daydreaming and think about what we'd do for our next outing only to catch myself and smack myself for getting distracted. Oy, spring is definitely here...)

Edit: Looking at the VR section over here, I definitely think one of their answers is bad. I disagree with what they're saying and don't think they considered what it actually meant.
Can you actually argue with them about this stuff? That one question would have brought me up to a 31. If anyone's taken AAMC 8 and is okay with my asking them about it let me know and I'll PM you.

Last edited:
Is anyone else just plain tired, annoyed and burnt out from studying for this test?

Yes. Annoyed mainly.

I've decided, screw Ochem. I'm just going to finish Chapter 2, and biologically important molecules Chapter 4. Do some bio, and be done with it, see what happens lol.

Monday: TPR #6 DONE 12,9,12
Tuesday: Review/Bio AAMC#4
Wednesday: Review/Ochem
Thursday: Bio/Ochem/TPR Review #1
Friday: Selected PS topics/AAMC#7
Sat: Review/AAMC#11
Sun: Bio/Ochem/TPR#6
Mon: AAMC#8/Review
Tuesday: Bio/Physics/TPR#7
Wednesday: AAMC#9/Review
Thursday: Bio/Ochem
Friday: Check random topics

Last edited:
A friend just called me to talk about the test (she's taking it on the same day) she's also taking 2 weeks off work to study for it.

Damn, I wish I could do that. It's crunch time at work for me this week and next week and I don't think I can take off the day before the test. I'm just hoping to be able to come in early that day so I can leave by 3 or 4. That way I can study for a few hours and then take the night off and chill.

Is anyone else just plain tired, annoyed and burnt out from studying for this test?

Shut up! None of that.

I'm not listening. La la la la la.

For real though, if anything I'm a bit distracted. I sorta kinda started seeing someone and I'm way more distracted than I should be. I was daydreaming during my PS section yesterday. I caught myself and was like, wtf! Damn you hormones, damn you spring, damn you first girl I've actually been interested in since jr year of college two years ago!

Last edited:
How did I remember to put in a 'damn you girl' and forget to put in a 'damn you MCAT'.

So for posterity's sake.

Damn. You. MCAT.

A friend just called me to talk about the test (she's taking it on the same day) she's also taking 2 weeks off work to study for it.

Damn, I wish I could do that. It's crunch time at work for me this week and next week and I don't think I can take off the day before the test. I'm just hoping to be able to come in early that day so I can leave by 3 or 4. That way I can study for a few hours and then take the night off and chill.

Shut up! None of that.

I'm not listening. La la la la la.

For real though, if anything I'm a bit distracted. I sorta kinda started seeing someone and I'm way more distracted than I should be. I was daydreaming during my PS section yesterday. I caught myself and was like, wtf! Damn you hormones, damn you spring, damn you first girl I've actually been interested in since jr year of college two years ago!

Ahh lol you just HAD to start dating someone right before you take your test? Lol I'm avoiding that altogether myself!

Ahh lol you just HAD to start dating someone right before you take your test? Lol I'm avoiding that altogether myself!

Plan was to be a hermit till after the test, but curiosity got the better of me and I met someone cool. However 2 dates DNE dating. So it's still in the nice noncommital phase where I don't get into trouble if I don't see her for a while. I told her that I we should hang out more, but in 2 weeks. Lol.

Lucky for me, she's really busy right now as well and has a work schedule that's pretty much the inverse of mine so getting time that overlaps is hard enough that it doesn't happen too offer.

Not much energy lost and hey at the very least hanging out with someone has lessened the burnout. I just need to stop daydreaming now...

I'll be fine, I just need to start amping myself up for practice exams like I used to do for bike races.

One word: metal.

Another 9 in an EK101 test.

Again it came down to second guessing and/or picking the wrong of two answers. A few of them were really really dumb.

Ran out of time again. I need to make sure that I don't spend too much time on this stuff.

Honestly, it's hard for me to switch between the paper and computer based version of the verbal exams. It takes me a different amount of time to read and underline something vs reading and highlighting something with a mouse. I'd say it's a minute more to use a pencil...

I think I'll do another one during lunch tomorrow and make sure to not make the same mistakes. Hah.

Part of me feels like these EK exams are harder than the AAMC ones. Not a bad thing, but just an observation.

Chillin on my 10 minute break. TPR Online Diagnostic #6. Scared, kinda hard.
If my PS score is a wave configuration, I predict a 13 lol. 13, 10, 13, 10, 13....agreeable symmetry. I'm actually gonna try verbal TPR, whatever happens happens, not gonna care about the verbal score. BS should be interesting.
Chillin on my second 10 minute break. Verbal....never feel like I choose the right answer, but oh well.

Last edited:
Just finished BS with 30 min to go. I don't think the BS is that representable for the TPR tests, anyhow I still need to do Ochem. Aldol condensations, what -non means, etc. A majority of what I didn't know was probably ochem. Time to check (cross fingers for a >30).

TPR#6
PS12 BS12 VR9

PS Post-game:

1) Try actually calculating instead of eliminating answers based on what you think is illogical.
2) Look at the Chart
3) Review heats of formation, genuinely forgot.
4) Review Strain/Pressure, got it right but kinda shaky
5) The root of 1/2 is not 1/4
6) Don't be dumb (see 5)

Last edited:
Another 9 in an EK101 test.

Again it came down to second guessing and/or picking the wrong of two answers. A few of them were really really dumb.

Ran out of time again. I need to make sure that I don't spend too much time on this stuff.

Honestly, it's hard for me to switch between the paper and computer based version of the verbal exams. It takes me a different amount of time to read and underline something vs reading and highlighting something with a mouse. I'd say it's a minute more to use a pencil...

I think I'll do another one during lunch tomorrow and make sure to not make the same mistakes. Hah.

Part of me feels like these EK exams are harder than the AAMC ones. Not a bad thing, but just an observation.

Was scoring my ek 101 test & was so sure I was gonna get an 11/12 since I was getting almost all of it right. Feeling happy & confident till I scored my last passage... got every question wrong! & scored my usual 9! Just when I thought I left those single digit scores behind...:mad:

I'm hoping to turn my 3 day weekend into a 4 day weekend this weekend.

I think one of my issues has been timing lately, so I'm going to use the time to do 2 VR exams and go through a few passages from the TPR science workbook and possibly the kaplan qbank. The kaplan q bank just felt weird to me for the PS stuff, so I'm not sure what's up.

I have the kaplan section tests as well, so I might look at those for the sections that I'm not too confident about. I might just print them out at work so I can do them in a place where I'm less distracted than in my room.

I kinda wish I had done more practice passages as I was going along because I honestly didn't use a lot of the resources that were available to me. Then I think about it and realize that by the time I've hit the exam, I'll have done 9 TBR exams, 10ish EK 101 vr exams, 8 AAMC's, the EK section tests, and some random kaplan/tpr stuff. That's a crap ton of practice.

Aka, I have a huge base to stand on. I just need to figure out that last little bit. I made it happen on AAMC 7 and I can sure as hell do it again.

So can you guys.

Beast mode activated.

Currently drinking coffee and reading the Economist. Taking AAMC 7 in an hour. Kinda sorta nervous.

You'll do great.

Seriously, get yourself in the zone. I have 3 practice exams left and I'm going to start amping myself up for them.

I'm dead serious, but it helps me focus and see things with a laser sight precision.

My biggest piece of advice to you is to check the passage to make sure a question is not a pseudo discrete. A lot of the time, it feels like it might be but the answer is in the passage.

If you take that advice, that's a +1 for PS/BS automatically, atleast based on what I've seen for me.

It's more for VR.

Seriously. You got this. You've done the prep now reap the rewards.

Just finished BS with 30 min to go. I don't think the BS is that representable for the TPR tests, anyhow I still need to do Ochem. Aldol condensations, what -non means, etc. A majority of what I didn't know was probably ochem. Time to check (cross fingers for a >30).

TPR#6
PS12 BS12 VR9

I'm starting to not like you very much...

;)

Last edited:
I cant find the conversion chart for AAMC 7 anywhere. Does anyone know if the curve was harsher? I got more questions right in both sections, yet my BS score went from a 12 on AAMC 5 to an 11 on AAMC 7. UGHHH I am sooooooo close to completely going psycho/freaking out

It's on the AAMC site. When you log in and see all your tests, look on the left where it says 'how are they scored' or whatnot.

I cant find the conversion chart for AAMC 7 anywhere. Does anyone know if the curve was harsher? I got more questions right in both sections, yet my BS score went from a 12 on AAMC 5 to an 11 on AAMC 7. UGHHH I am sooooooo close to completely going psycho/freaking out

MCAT Practice Test 7-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Science Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Science Raw Scores
15 51-52 39-40 51-52
14 50-50 38-38 49-50
13 47-49 37-37 47-48
12 46-46 36-36 44-46
11 44-45 33-35 42-43
10 40-43 31-32 37-41
9 37-39 29-30 34-36
8 34-36 26-28 30-33
7 29-33 24-25 27-29
6 25-28 20-23 24-26
5 19-24 18-19 22-23
4 15-18 15-17 18-21
3 10-14 13-14 15-17
2 7-9 8-12 11-14
1 0-6 0-7 0-10

http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?t=384436

Feel like everyone else on this thread is in practice test mode now. I bit the bullet and did all the electrochem passages in TBR, feeling great about electrochem now. tomorrow's agenda: make notecards for all the formulae I need for PS & attack ochem.

All you guys seem to be doing great on the AAMCs!! gonna jump on that once my organic is decent.

Just took EK 9 and got an 8. Lol. Going downwardsssss....

I'm going to review the exams I took yesterday and today (11 and 9) and then take 10.

Then I'll call myself done with EK 101 for all practical purposes. I've been getting 10-11 on AAMC and that's what I care about. I just feel like I should give a final huzzah to EK 101.

Actually on second thoughts, I think I'm just going to take one or two over the weekend when I have days off. I'm going to review these and learn from them. As everyone knows, the aamc's are the best predictors. These are just good for practice and figuring out where you're going wrong.

I have my sight set on straight 11's on tomorrow's AAMC as a minimum. Time to review some of the science stuffs.

Edit:

Also, taking a verbal exam in a crowded cafe is not the best idea. In case you were wondering.

Edit 2: Turns out the 9 from yesterday was a 10. The 8 today I'm attributing to being in a super loud environment. Egad.

Last edited:
AAMC 7
11-PS
8-VR
11-BS

Ugh I went from a 10 to an 8 today too lol. Looking at all the 4/9 ers getting their scores back is making me anxious/nervous to just get this stupid thing over with.

Anyways, I got a 30 on AAMC 7 today due to a stupid 8 in verbal. And then I went and got Mcdonalds to make myself feel better. Then I laid in bed, threw myself a pity party and watched Greys Anatomy reruns. I think I'm sorta recovered from my score, so now time to study orgo. Joy.

took aamc 5 and missed the entropy question because of units. All the answers where in J/molK, so I did not multiply by the moles even though I knew I should have. damn! Also, missed the wave question because i used 1m instead of 2. DAMN! ugh. frustrated.:(

took aamc 5 and missed the entropy question because of units. All the answers where in J/molK, so I did not multiply by the moles even though I knew I should have. damn! Also, missed the wave question because i used 1m instead of 2. DAMN! ugh. frustrated.:(

I think that aamc 5 question was very poorly worded, the one about waves. It was ambiguous and could have been interpreted either way.

So. burnt out. Cant. Bring. Myself. To. Open. A. Book. What. Is. Wrong. With. Me.

About to force myself to read chemical kinetics.

So. burnt out. Cant. Bring. Myself. To. Open. A. Book. What. Is. Wrong. With. Me.

About to force myself to read chemical kinetics.

Take the day off dawg.

Or just do practice problems. I always feel that I'm not studying if I'm doing practice problem stuff haha.

damn you aamc#4! that PS was harsh, verbal in 3min especially that mass loss for placing that thing in the other thing and calculating mass loss. 10 for VR mcat gods? :xf:Here we go!! I heard the next mcat is gonna be 7.5 hrs. Imagine the practice tests, you'd have to take a dinner break.

VR was a crapshoot definitely. I was going good with 27min left for the last 3, then I ran out of time again. Did some guessing on the last 2.

BS coming.....1 min.

Last edited:

I thought I could count on verbal. For some reason I got stuck early on in the verbal section and never recovered. I predict an 8 or less for this one. I guessed on the entire last passage.

I think I'm going to have to take another couple of EK101 exams if only to get the timing right.

I thought this verbal was really really hard and I kept getting stuck.

I need to make sure to move after 8.5 mins MAX. Wow. I can't believe I'm having this problem now...

Alright.

Predictions were pretty spot on.

I figured out how to make the PS work for me and I didn't let my bad feelings of the VR ruin my BS section.

Final analysis.

11PS (2 from 12)
9VR (1 from 10)
11BS (1 from 12)

If I had used my time better on VR, I would be at a 10. I know it. I had to guess on the entire last passage.

I'll do 2-3 EK 101 exams this weekend with the intent of finishing the section in time and getting to every single question.

I think I'm right where I need to be.

I'm also proud of myself for taking things slow on PS/BS and not rushing. I think I can hit a 10 VR and 12 BS by the time I take my last AAMC. I'll call this VR a fluke. I knew when I was taking it that I was rushing at the end. That was frustrating. I just NEED to make myself move on from a question when I'm hopelessly stuck. 1 question early on is not worth an entire passage.

Next time, I'll pick a random answer of the choices I have left and mark the question to come back to. That should help. I can't see a white space there it just bothers me...

Hope everyone else had a productive day as well.

Edit: I got that entire last passage of VR wrong because I ran out of time. Screw the 10. If I get the timing right, I'll be at an 11. So psyched. Watch out aamc 10 and 11. You're mine.

Edit 2: Just did a cursory review. I got 2 PS things wrong because I worked too fast and misread something when I knew the real answer, same for BS. I'm making less of these mistakes now. Just need to figure out how to drill out the last 2-3 from each section. That would be awesome. I'm getting there :)

Last edited:
Sharing my frustration with you MCAT-aholics:

Took AAMC 5 today:
10/8/8

Ugh! I'm seriously frustrated with a week and a half left! going to hit that EK 101 and work on some orgo (my bio wasn't too bad for BS).
PS I made silly mistakes.

I calculated the score I would have gotten if I picked the right choice when I was down to two or went with the "gut":

12/9/10 (DAMNNNNIT!)
shows how many silly and stupid mistakes I'm making :(
Test is on 5/21!!!!!!!
:eek::scared:
Suggestions? Encouragement?

I'm taking AAMC 7 on Friday, so I'll do some Kaplan section tests and BS q bank questions.

Alright.

Predictions were pretty spot on.

I figured out how to make the PS work for me and I didn't let my bad feelings of the VR ruin my BS section.

Final analysis.

11PS (2 from 12)
9VR (1 from 10)
11BS (1 from 12)

If I had used my time better on VR, I would be at a 10. I know it. I had to guess on the entire last passage.

I'll do 2-3 EK 101 exams this weekend with the intent of finishing the section in time and getting to every single question.

I think I'm right where I need to be.

I'm also proud of myself for taking things slow on PS/BS and not rushing. I think I can hit a 10 VR and 12 BS by the time I take my last AAMC. I'll call this VR a fluke. I knew when I was taking it that I was rushing at the end. That was frustrating. I just NEED to make myself move on from a question when I'm hopelessly stuck. 1 question early on is not worth an entire passage.

Next time, I'll pick a random answer of the choices I have left and mark the question to come back to. That should help. I can't see a white space there it just bothers me...

Hope everyone else had a productive day as well.

Edit: I got that entire last passage of VR wrong because I ran out of time. Screw the 10. If I get the timing right, I'll be at an 11. So psyched. Watch out aamc 10 and 11. You're mine.

Edit 2: Just did a cursory review. I got 2 PS things wrong because I worked too fast and misread something when I knew the real answer, same for BS. I'm making less of these mistakes now. Just need to figure out how to drill out the last 2-3 from each section. That would be awesome. I'm getting there :)
how exactly did you fix this? this is my downfall.