THE MCAT

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Dylan911, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Dylan911

Dylan911 Member
    10+ Year Member

Just wondering if anyone can help me out on this one: I am a sophomore at small liberal arts school, which I transferred to last semester. Way too many of my credits did not transfer along with me, and so I have had to repeat courses. This has taken up many hours I could have spent taking other science courses to better prepare me for the MCAT. So what I am wondering is this, I know most students take the MCAT the end of their sophomore year/beginning of their junior year, but I will definitely not be preapred by that time. Is this extreme detrimental to the application process? And do med schools frown on taking a year off before jumping right in? Because I have an opportunity to shadow a OB-GYN in Honduras for a year, which is the field I think that I would most like to eventually enter. Thanks! :)

------------------
    "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Your post raises even more questions.

To first answer one of your questions: you can take a year off before applying, especially for the good reason you say.

To comment on a mistaken notion: concentrating on more science for the MCAT is not essential. The content and skills covered by the MCAT are fully described in the MCAT Student Manual available from the AAMC: $20+$6 shipping [in the US] AAMC, Dept 66, Washington, DC 20055
    To the dismay of many applicants, the VR score counts as heavily (or more than) as the science sections.

Next, the MCAT is normally taken during the second half of the junior year or the first half of the senior year.

Now, why did too few credits transfer? Were you in a non-US college or university? Are you a US citizen or permanent resident?

Why Hondurus for shadowing? Are you from Hondurus? If so, is that why too few credits transferred? Are you going to practice in Hondurus or the US? If the latter, you would be better off shadowing in a US hospital.

I am just guessing because of those two pieces of information you give. I may well be wide of the mark, and not for the first time.

3. Dylan911

Dylan911 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the input. To reply to your first comment, I do feel like I need more knowledge in the science area because I am only finishing my first year of chem and have had only one semester of bio and calc.

The reason a lot of my credits didn't transfer is because the college that I am attending now(Hillsdale College) is very picky. So I lost all my English and History credits, and now I am repeating those.

The reason I would like to shadow someone in Honduras is because he is a friend of the family who has spent his life doing medical missions work all over the world. My major right now is Spanish with a minor in chem, and ideally, I would like to practice medicine in a Spanish-speaking environment, either overseas or downtown Chicago. I live northwest of the city and there is a huge Hispanic population as you may well know. Anyway, I would love to spend time in an environment that would best prepare me for the decisions I make in the future regarding my career. Have a wonderful evening, it's almost 2am and I have to start my homework. Oh, the joys of college life, talk about a long day! :)

------------------
    "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Medical schools DO NOT frown on people who take a year off between graduation and starting medical school - especially if those people are doing something interesting and medically-related. Your opportunity sounds wonderful and I would venture to say will provide great fodder for an application essay and interview chat. Many, many students take off time and are not penalized for it.

Do NOT take the MCAT until you are sure you are ready. Early is not better if you are unprepared and your scores show it.

Speaking Spanish is a great asset in many areas of the country and the opportunity to immerse yourself in it and learn medical terms would be invaluable in my book.

Hope this helps.