The Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timewilltell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How good is the Medical College of Georgia's psychiatry program? I am concerned I would have a hard time finding a job. Also, what is the schedule like there? I'd like to stay in Georgia but I am not sure if I can get into Emory so I am hoping the Medical College of Georgia will work out. Is it better than Morehouse?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How good is the Medical College of Georgia's psychiatry program? I am concerned I would have a hard time finding a job. Also, what is the schedule like there? I'd like to stay in Georgia but I am not sure if I can get into Emory so I am hoping the Medical College of Georgia will work out. Is it better than Morehouse?

Thank you!

While your enthusiasm is admirable, your only other post suggests that you are a college sophomore. You are jumping the gun a bit. You need to do your premed coursework, take an MCAT, apply to medical schools, complete your two pre-clinical years, take Step 1, complete your 3rd year core rotations, take Step 2, and then apply to residencies.

Asking questions about the current set-up of a Psych residency at your stage won't help you very much, since the absolute earliest that you will be in a position to apply for said residency is in the fall of 2018.

Sorry..I'm just the type of person who likes to try to plan everything out. Thanks though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry..I'm just the type of person who likes to try to plan everything out. Thanks though :)

You and every other neurotic premed. :p

Seriously, though, it won't help you too much to scope out residency info right now, as program dynamics can shift from year to year. MCG is a good place; Emory is a good place. However, your likelihood of "getting into Emory" or any other med school is not a guarantee of any residency match. Your time would be better spent on the premed forums, as the reply on your other post noted.

Your priorities right now should be A's in all your premed coursework and labs, studying for the MCAT and working on extracurriculars. Your first big move is getting into med school. Worry about residency in a few years.

I do agree that it's probably best not to worry about this stuff yet, but if it makes you feel better,
you won't have any trouble finding a job coming from any psychiatry residency, unless things change drastically over the years between now and when you actually graduate residency.

I have the same question and I can assure you I have applied for a residency at both MCG and Morehouse. I would like very much to hear opinions and experiences for both programs.
Thank you.

I have the same question and I can assure you I have applied for a residency at both MCG and Morehouse. I would like very much to hear opinions and experiences for both programs.
Thank you.

morehouse i know little about, but the little I have heard about it is that it is an 'avoid at all costs' type of program. They are almost all IMG, and from what I have heard they struggle to get decent IMGs. There are also some reportedly questionable sites that people rotate at(including some that are not even based anywhere near atlanta)

MCG is now called georgia health sciences university I believe. I dont know a lot about it either, but more than morehouse. They are considered a lower to mid-tier university program in the southeast(a region of the country where it is easy to match into the better programs in the area). In years where they don't have their own students match there, they have a very difficult time attracting decent AMG candidates.

Given the choice between MCG and Morehouse, I would take MCG ten times over. That said, there are FAR better choices in the southeast than MCG. if you're looking for a laid back program(MCG is fairly laid back I believe), then I would look at South Carolina(columbia). Much better residents make up that program than what MCG gets...

Your priorities right now should be A's in all your premed coursework and labs, studying for the MCAT and working on extracurriculars. Your first big move is getting into med school. Worry about residency in a few years.

This is totally the right attitude, and one that I think will keep you more sane as you go through the process. One step at a time. You can make decisions about residency later when you are much closer to it, you will probably be a pretty different person by then anyway.

I see nothing wrong with a healthy desire to wonder and plan for the future. Ignore the other posters who were likely neurotic pre-meds themselves.

A colleague of mine is currently at MCG and loves it. Smaller program, laid back, and solid clinical training. If you want to be a top flight researcher, it is not the place for you. However, if you train at any solid program, you will come out prepared, regardless of the name.

Small program. Very little psychotherapy training (literally no psychodynamics). The Augusta State psychology department teaches you CBT... These were big drawbacks for me. Augusta is a cheap city.