Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

The military medical-political-legal system

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by IgD, Mar 10, 2007.

1. IgD

IgD The Lorax
    10+ Year Member

One of my leaders has this term "self-licking ice cream cone". Based on some experiences I've had recently I'm thinking that military medicine's political system is almost more important than the care rendered to its personnel. It's really frustrating getting into power struggles with people. I want to know: Is it better on the outside???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ex-44E3A

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You really have to ask this question? My goodness... you're living in a very dark place indeed.

OF COURSE it's better. In the civilian world, physicians directly or indirectly produce much of the income that enters a hospital's revenue stream. They admit the patients, they order the tests, etc. Any smart CEO of a civilian institution knows that keeping his medical staff happy keeps the machine humming. Admittedly, he serves different masters than his docs, but he needs the doctors to stay in business. Physicians in the civilian world have much more control.

At my facility, the administration has involved me in all sorts of decision-making... things I was NEVER consulted about in the military (including IT matters, since I'm a computer geek, and the CEO knows it). The administration knows that if their medical staff gets angry enough, they'll drop their privileges, and admit their patients to a different facility... there is competition, and other hospitals are more than willing to provide the same services. It's not a captive group... docs can leave at any time, and take their patients with them. It makes the relationship between administration and medical staff much more equitable, and far less autocratic.

In the civilian world, physicians are generally viewed as a revenue source, instead of a drain on the hospital budget... it's a critical difference in perspective.

The profit motive also takes some of the sting out of being on-call... some of the patients are ininsured drunks, but aside from those, you actually get paid more for doing more work... something that's totally absent in the salaried military system.

Are there politics? Yes... but not nearly as pernicious (in my experience) as the military.

3. island doc

island doc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

An understatement to say the least. The political environment of military medicine can best be described as malignant. Yes, like being a healthy cell trying to live and work each day surrounded by an aggressive cancer.

I have distinct memories of a face smiling at me while a dagger was being thrust into my back at the same time-by the same person of course.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. island doc

island doc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Is Heaven better than Hell?