the monthly salary of oral hyginist in canda ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolitadento

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much the new(just graduated) oral hyginist in canda can make monthly ??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do u mean about 100$ k?

is it 100.000& a year:eek: easily

The hygienists in my office get paid $37/hr. None of them work more than 3days/wk, and all have >5yrs experience. Assuming that one could work 4days/wk, that would give an experienced hygienist working all 12 months just under $57,000.

Last edited:
Back home in Central Cali, I know a few hygienists making $45/hr. Of coarse the dentists keep them on part time (3 days/wk) to avoid paying benefits. Even so, even if they worked 6 days a week at 2 different offices, they'd barely make over 100,000. But US dollars were recently at a 27% premium to Canadian, so maybe Canadian dollars, this was possible. Or maybe they were paid in monopoly dollars.

Last edited:
Oops, didn't put input to the original question. 25% of Dental Hygienist salaries in the US working full time is above $71k (salary.com statistics). Right now, US$1 = CAN$1.27, Therefore, if all dental stats are equal in Canada, 25% of full time Dental Hygienists should be making CAN$91,000 year.

I chose the upper 25% to assume that you work in a high demand market. The median is US$64k.

I agree w/ those stats. Most hygienists that I know work part time (no benefits) make around 50-60K/year. There are few who can make a bit more if they get 40% commission at a new office that is unsure if they can keep them busy every hour and don't want to pay high hourly rate if schedule is not fully booked. But this arrangement is always temporary.

At my office all hygienist initially worked on commission but as soon as the patient flow became steady, they went to an hourly rate (which of course was lower). The couple hygienists that resisted, were let go. Although one recently came back b/c after going through that w/ couple other offices, she just wanted a steady job, with more than 1 day/wk.

My friend from dental school worked 7days/wk for first 3 YEARS after school, w/ long hours, but took home over $300,000/yr. So I guess if you don't mind putting in the time, more money is always possible. :laugh: (now he works 6days)