The morning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasurefull2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but what time do radiologists go to work in the morning?

Members don't see this ad.

At the places I've rotated at, the majority of radiologists come in at 8 am and leave anywhere from 5 to 7 pm.

Of course there are exceptions, such as IR docs or radiologists-on-call.

Almost all arrive between 7 and 8.

The greater majority leave at 5. Staying until 6 or 7 is definitely the exception.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a little earlier than I thought they come in. I don't know why, but i was thinking that they come in between 8 to 9... 7 sounds early for radiology...

It's 8-5 here, unless you're on IR, or the rare occasion we have 7am conference.

I think some of you need to understand that the hours may seem nice, but most of the radiologists I know (at least in the private world) work tirelessly from open to close.

They get at least as much work done as the surgeon who stays there many more hours, just with less wasted time.

Take a look the next time you're on wards and count the wasted minutes and hours.

Radiologists work damn hard. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no first hand experience, or their experience is very atypical.

I think some of you need to understand that the hours may seem nice, but most of the radiologists I know (at least in the private world) work tirelessly from open to close.

They get at least as much work done as the surgeon who stays there many more hours, just with less wasted time.

Take a look the next time you're on wards and count the wasted minutes and hours.

Radiologists work damn hard. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no first hand experience, or their experience is very atypical.

Umm, who ever said the work was easy?

Residents: ranges from 7am to 9am but agreed w/ all the posts above--radiologists work pretty much non-stop in private practice and also increasingly in academic settings.

Radiology used to be a slow and low volume specialty... but that reputation has been lagging w/ reality. The reality is that volume is so high now that radiologists work hard and continuously and that is why reimbursement has reflected that. High radiologist salaries and wages come from somewhere--it is has been the imaging boom in medicine these past few years.