The most challenging thing about med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my first year. Whew!!! In many ways it was much easier than I expected, but in some ways in was very, very challenging. My preceptor told me that next year is going to be much harder than this year. I was wondering what others have experienced? Does it get increasingly harder every year?
Will 3rd year be the hardest?

Members don't see this ad.

Just interested, what did you find challenging in your first year? And, why do you think it was easier than expected ?Thanxs

I found the lifestyle much easier than expected. Although studying all that material could be quite time-consuming, it wasn't that stressful. This semester was expecially easy-going, in that attendance wasn't as much of an issue so I was able to study on my own, instead of always having to be bothered with going to class. The life of being a full-time student, not having to work, and not having to really worry about money (considering your financial aid is adequate) is an amazing gift. Anyone who has worked full-time and experienced the agony of working all the time in a job you hate to barely make ends meet, knows that the opportunity to devote all of your time to studying something that truly interests you is the most wonderful blessing one could hope for. Yes, it did require much more of a time commitment than I initially thought it would, and I found myself almost always having to give 110%, but I wouldn't trade that for a full-time job in data entry for all the money in the world!

Originally posted by dr barb
I found the lifestyle much easier than expected. Although studying all that material could be quite time-consuming, it wasn't that stressful. This semester was expecially easy-going, in that attendance wasn't as much of an issue so I was able to study on my own, instead of always having to be bothered with going to class. The life of being a full-time student, not having to work, and not having to really worry about money (considering your financial aid is adequate) is an amazing gift. Anyone who has worked full-time and experienced the agony of working all the time in a job you hate to barely make ends meet, knows that the opportunity to devote all of your time to studying something that truly interests you is the most wonderful blessing one could hope for. Yes, it did require much more of a time commitment than I initially thought it would, and I found myself almost always having to give 110%, but I wouldn't trade that for a full-time job in data entry for all the money in the world!

Dr. Barb, you hit the nail on the head. Medical school is tough, but even the worst day of medical school is better then the best day of some crummy "civilian" job.

For me, first and second year have been almost like a vacation. I am pretty disciplined so I keep up with the coursework and find that I don't have to devote more then two or three hours a day to studying. Add the four or five hours of class we have on average per day and you will see that it is not so bad. There are many, many more careers out there that routinely demand ten or twelve hour days.

I am studying for Step 1 right know and am putting in about five hours per day of serious study. Considering we are off until JUne 27th this is still better then working at a job.

Unfortunantly, we start rotations on July 1st. The vacation is over, I imagine.