the myth of ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

What type of ECs do med. schools look at the most?

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need at least some clinical experience to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. Beyond that, I think they look for a significant commitment to whatever EC activities you choose (in other words, you're not joining something just to list it on your resume). Leadership always helps. Altruistic activities are nice too.

the ones you have done....

but seriously...

anything you have done that is one of the following or a combination of them...

1. interesting/cool/down to earth i would like to hope
2.clinical/research experiences
3. humanistic
4.different from the other applicants
5. damn this list could go on forever...

this is just a sorry attempt to answer your almost unanswerable question. but they look at em all to see what kind of person you are i suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows. My best guess would be that they want to see some sort of EC that demonstrates that you have some idea of what being a doctor is like...i.e., experience in a clinical setting, shadowing, etc. They also probably would like to see that you're a generally good human being, i.e. volunteer stuff. Note that above two categories can and often overlap. Stand-outish things are always good because in this random process, standing out amidst 9000 applications is beneficial. Finally, I think med schools want to see that you're a normal person, i.e. you do things that you are personally interested in and enjoy, not things you did painstakingly because you thought they'd get you into med. I think the bottom line is to get some clinical exposure, do some volunteer, and do things in general that you are interested in and passionate about. Do as much as you can without sacrificing grades and quality/time duration spent at a place is more important than the quantity. Remember that these are just my own personal beliefs on the EC issue and do not reflect those of adcoms :D

I honestly believe my EC's were part of what got me into Case. I spent a good twenty minutes of the interview talking to my interviewer about a single very significant EC that I had done.

I think that made it a good EC was that it was a issue that was important to me and in which there was an unfilled need that I tried to fill through the service. Not only that, the EC fell completely in line with my motivations for becoming a doctor, along with my academic background.

There is no "THE EC" to do. You need to do something that you love to do, and that reflects your mission in the future as a physician. That is what will convince people that you will be a compassionate, thoughtful, caring, and dedicated doctor.

Anyone think shadowing could be replaced by observing surgeries? HIPPA says "pllllllbbbbtttt!" to shadowing but observing surgeries is not only vastly interesting but it is almost 100% anonymous as far as the pt is concerned.

Originally posted by indo
Anyone think shadowing could be replaced by observing surgeries? HIPPA says "pllllllbbbbtttt!" to shadowing but observing surgeries is not only vastly interesting but it is almost 100% anonymous as far as the pt is concerned.

How is shadowing a doc in surgery any diff than observing the goings on in the ER as a volunteer in terms of privacy?

Originally posted by exmike
How is shadowing a doc in surgery any diff than observing the goings on in the ER as a volunteer in terms of privacy?

The curtain blocks their face and there is no need to know any personal information about the patient other then the pathology and symptoms or whatever the surgeon tells you before hand.

Originally posted by indo
The curtain blocks their face and there is no need to know any personal information about the patient other then the pathology and symptoms or whatever the surgeon tells you before hand.

Dude 68 was my pager code.

Originally posted by exmike
Dude 68 was my pager code.

heehee... you're a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad man!

Originally posted by Chankovsky
What type of ECs do med. schools look at the most?

It's important to be able to articulate how these ECs helped you grow as a person and how (where necessary) they influenced your decision to study medicine. Clinical exposure is a no brainer, but don't leave out community service, and something that illustrates your capacity for teamwork.

Me: EMS, cancer research associate, Red Cross, lacrosse (to name a few).

Good luck with it:)