The nagging sense of dissatisfaction after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I just completed my first interview today -- a traditional interview with a medical student + MMI. I think I prepared well, felt relaxed going in, smiled, and generally did my best. But I feel like I could have done much better, even though I cannot pinpoint exactly what I would have done differently. I can't help but think that I rambled here and there, I might have come off as robotic at times, I could have used inaccurate words, my MMI answers might have been disorganized and repetitive, I did not present the full range of perspectives, etc etc. I suppose I just feel unsatisfied with my performance and the more I try to reflect on it the vaguer my dissatisfaction becomes.

Is this normal after interviews? How may I refocus and prepare for my next interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It's normal! It was your first interview; you will feel more relaxed for the next one. Just pretend this one was for practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just completed my first interview today -- a traditional interview with a medical student + MMI. I think I prepared well, felt relaxed going in, smiled, and generally did my best. But I feel like I could have done much better, even though I cannot pinpoint exactly what I would have done differently. I can't help but think that I rambled here and there, I might have come off as robotic at times, I could have used inaccurate words, my MMI answers might have been disorganized and repetitive, I did not present the full range of perspectives, etc etc. I suppose I just feel unsatisfied with my performance and the more I try to reflect on it the vaguer my dissatisfaction becomes.

Is this normal after interviews? How may I refocus and prepare for my next interviews?
I don't know if it's normal or not, but it IS harmful. What's done is done. Now it's time to move onto the next interview.

As of right now, you're rejected, so stop thinking about what might have been. You are rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, so stay busy and work on Plan B

Reactions: 6 users
Definitely agree with @Goro. It's a stressful process, and worrying about this kind of thing will only make it worse. My interview at my dream school last year felt like it went ok, but I couldn't help but think that one of my interviewers just didn't like me or something I had said. Ate me up for like a month, at which point I got the A (I attend this school now). There's no way to know how you did and even a strong performance isn't a guarantee in this process. Just do the best you can and stay confident going into the next one. Practically, the best advice for getting better at interviewing is to do more mock interviews with objective people who are willing to give you honest feedback. Good luck!

• Love
Posting in this thread again because I had a (in my opinion) very mediocre interview today at my top choice; I spoke from the heart but didn’t feel like I was being particularly memorable. Also super long day so was zoom fatigued and stuttered quite a bit at the last interview. My gosh, I know there’s nothing I can do at this point but I can’t stop thinking about it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Posting in this thread again because I had a (in my opinion) very mediocre interview today at my top choice; I spoke from the heart but didn’t feel like I was being particularly memorable. Also super long day so was zoom fatigued and stuttered quite a bit at the last interview. My gosh, I know there’s nothing I can do at this point but I can’t stop thinking about it.
Just updating to say I got accepted and all this stress was for nothing, yay. :giggle:
What else is there to say? :cool:

If you enjoy torturing yourself, definitely have at it, but you already wasted a ton of energy before, so, you of all people should know better, and now you have to benefit of already having an A, so my only question for you is this -- Why????

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users