The National Health Service Corps: Cutting Student Debt and Promoting Primary Care

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
heard a lot of bad things about the program. mostly in regards to the inflexibility of the issue along with some nightmare stories of bad placement (i.e. ending up in places folks just don't want to go to). also heard is it tough to land a spot post-grad for the reimbursement (seems like most of the focus is for the scholarship, not the reimbursement). common advice i heard (from some recipients) is to hold off on applying and look for reimbursement through jobs following residency. this allows one the opportunity to keep the door open to other fields during medical school. thought: how often do folks change their minds in regards to chosen speciality? hmm… nothing like locking yourself into a field before knowing much about it. just something to think about.

we need more of these programs for people who have committed to the primary care pathway AFTER having true exposure and knowing for sure that this is the path form them.

i hesitate to trust anything our government says. and if it's too good to be true, it probably is. any thoughts?

I hate they don't have programs like this for podiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it true that there will be a much lower cap for the loan forgiveness program? good luck getting physicians to sign on if that's the case. better off making better money and paying the loans off on one's own.

Reactions: 1 user
Any change the NHSC will approve Preventive Medicine as an eligible specialty. Seems like it meets their mission and I've seen Prev Med docs doing primary care based clinic work.