The NBDE I experience as it happended to me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahaza

BU Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
April,14th,2007

Hi guys,

I just got home from my test session for NBDE I. The highlights of exam were:
1.TMJ – There were a lot of questions about TMJ, it’s ligaments, specially the Capsular, and as usual, many Lateral Ptrygoid ones.
2. The Anatomic science Qs as far as I recall were all ( except a few) on head and neck. There were at least 2 on Upper Limb, Hands and Thorax. Some on GI, particularly on Esophagus and its mascular layers, and its anatomical limits.
3. Embryonic origin of intrinsic muscles of the tongue.
4. Cell predominating the chronic periodontic inflammation.
5.A clinical vignette on vWD, as well as some on Asthma, CVA, IDDM, Oral candidiasis, and Xerostomia.
6. Langerhans cell tumor, Histiocytosis X
7. Stomach’s Venous Drainage
8. R&L Phrenic nerve and the path they travel in the thorax
9.Temporalis bone Foramina
10. Dental Anatomy:

None, not even 1 picture in DA section! Many Qs on primary dentition, Age of calcification of permanent teeth, at least 4 Qs on anterior and posterior determinants of occlusion and their effect on height of cusps. Horizontal and vertical overlap, Bennett immediate side shift.

11. Ethics:2-3 Qs, one I could answer using the cards from Dental Decks ( this new ethic card are available free on the Deck’s website).

I wish I had the time to do the previously published exams once more, I didn’t have most of them though, but I remember many repeats from what I read before ( 1979-80--86-87-97-98-2004 pilot). Dental Decks and published exams would be more than enough to ace the exam ( Although I’m not sure that I did it ). Try your best, believe in yourself, and you’re going to be just fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Tahaza Thank you so much for sharing your experience :D
I wish you the best with your score :thumbup:

hi ,hw r u?? i need to know where to get information about ethics ... i searched in decks website but dint get it ... please do write to me where exactly i can search

Members don't see this ad :)
here is the information

Attachments

• Professional%20Ethics%20and%20Patient%20Management.pdf
    79.7 KB · Views: 846
here is the information

Thanks for the thread and sorry that I couldn't answer it before, I didn't log on to SDN for a while. Still waiting for my results ... grrrrr

Got My Score Report Today!

Comp Score: 91

Unbelievable!

Got my score report today.

They dont usually make mistakes in the report, do they?

congrats Tazaha, you have got an excellent score!

congrats Tazaha, you have got an excellent score!

Thank you Saira, I must've been over-excited about the results, I posted the same thing twice, and I dont have a clue how to delete one of them!

Thank you Saira, I must've been over-excited about the results, I posted the same thing twice, and I dont have a clue how to delete one of them!
congrats Tahaza:thumbup::thumbup:.ur hard work is paid off.

Got my score report today.

They dont usually make mistakes in the report, do they?

In the current format it's a great score. Good luck with applications.

In the current format it's a great score. Good luck with applications.

Thank you all and thank you SDN for it was a great motivation for me to keep up with the tough part 1 prep period.

Good luck all on your journeys.

hey Tahaza congrats
great score

Members don't see this ad :)
Great score, tahaja!! Can you please share your raw score too??

NBDE part I
Test date: 04/07

Anatomic science : #of correct answers 77/100 National mean:66.2
Micro-Patho : # of correct answers 87/100 NAtional mean:64.9
Biochem-Physio: # of correct answers 85/100 National mean:64.2
Dental Anatomy: # of correct answers 86/100 NAtional mean: 74.6

I hope it works for you.

:hardy: Good Job! Congrat!!! :hardy:

Congratulations Tahaza,
Its a fabulous score.

NBDE part I

I hope it works for you.

Thanks for the details. Congrats once more for such a great score.

Hey Tahaza
Many thanks for your very useful note about xperiences with NDBE-1 ..I was able to pickup many helpful tips from there....clinical scenario questions- is there sumwer I cud find a few samples?
Wud other SDN members who have recently taken NDBE-1 like to please add their experiences as well?
Many thanks

you are a good person

Hey Tahaza
Many thanks for your very useful note about xperiences with NDBE-1 ..I was able to pickup many helpful tips from there....clinical scenario questions- is there sumwer I cud find a few samples?
Wud other SDN members who have recently taken NDBE-1 like to please add their experiences as well?
Many thanks

Well, I think knowing every detail is going to be enough for the case-based questions. I didnt have any sample either. They dont expect you to diagnose as a MD does. NBDE is not supposed to be USMLE! (although I went through most of the cases in the USMLE first aid :sleep: which I dont think that it helped me that much anyway). So, the best strategy to me is to focus on the study material that you already have, and not to worry about the case-based part of the exam. The 2004 pilot exam can give you an idea about the subject. I can email it to you if you want.

NBDE part I

I hope it works for you.

well done Tahaza:thumbup:
your's is the best score i have seen in new format exam.
i hope u ll b selected in all d top univ.:hardy:
congrats..n all d very best 4 ur future.

Amazing score friend.... I think u really deserve it cos ,first is ur hard work and second is that ur a very good human being....:thumbup:

Amazing score friend.... I think u really deserve it cos ,first is ur hard work and second is that ur a very good human being....:thumbup:

Thank you all for your encouraging messages, and good luck all on your journeys.
:luck:

Congrats !!!! u did a great job..

Hi
congrates, Tahaza

I am happy for your success. Can i get some hints and your guidance from you. I would like to retake my exam. As i got only 87 score the old version. But i am scared to retake as it's new format. what did you read for the exam?

congrats tahaza ....
on getting such a great score
All the best in all your future endeavors

congratulations ,,,

can u please tell us from where did u study and prepare ???????

congratulations ,,,

can u please tell us from where did u study and prepare ???????

I went through the Kaplan review books on NBDE I (the 2 Vol. 2004 version) only once, as you may read the newspaper. Then switched to the Decks 2006-07, which I did 4 times. The fist time was such a disappointment, I just kept reading and reading and I kept forgetting in a frightening way. I though I'll never be able to retain all these stuff in my long term memory. The key to overcome this, is to "review, review and review". This way you not only absorb more and more every time, you gradually obtain a comforting overview about the whole basic science, which means you start to inter-relate different subjects, analyzing every aspect of each condition. of course the 3rd and 4th reviews where taking way less time. I did my 4th review in only 2 days, but I just went through the highlighted parts and my notes.

I actually studied seriously for 3 months. I did 6-7 hours a day, every day except Fridays (which I worked as a DA in a clinic) and the weekends which I cleaned the house, enjoyed music, and played basketball, and occasionally studied a couple of cards. I did a lot of cards in the bus going back and forth form home to public library. the last 2 weeks, I studied more than 12 hours a day.

Google, Wikipedia, and USMLE first aid were other materials that I used occasionally, and they were of great help.

I did some of the exams (not all of them) only once during the last week. I started taking exams 10 days before my test. I didn't even score myself. I just went through every and each choice, and actually studied them, instead of just circling the right answer.

I know that many of us go through one of the toughest stages of our lives during the preparation period for part 1, specially if you are an imported dentist from elsewhere like me. The pressure is shearing, the study materials are extremely boring, and your future mostly depends on the result of the exam. One of the ways that I particularly used to keep myself motivated, was writing about my score, putting it somewhere that I can frequently look at, and imagining myself acing the exam. Don't underestimate the power of mind. Have a vision while trying your best.

Good luck on your journey.

:thumbup: Again Tahaza, Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It's very helpful! :D
God bless you!!!:luck:

congrats:) tahaza ,it is really a good score and I appreciate your co-operative behaviour . I am planning to take my exam ,but feel like that I am not prepared .Anyways just keep telling us about your experiences . It will help us a lot.Thanks

I went through the Kaplan review books on NBDE I (the 2 Vol. 2004 version) only once, as you may read the newspaper. Then switched to the Decks 2006-07, which I did 4 times. The fist time was such a disappointment, I just kept reading and reading and I kept forgetting in a frightening way. I though I'll never be able to retain all these stuff in my long term memory. The key to overcome this, is to "review, review and review". This way you not only absorb more and more every time, you gradually obtain a comforting overview about the whole basic science, which means you start to inter-relate different subjects, analyzing every aspect of each condition. of course the 3rd and 4th reviews where taking way less time. I did my 4th review in only 2 days, but I just went through the highlighted parts and my notes.

I actually studied seriously for 3 months. I did 6-7 hours a day, every day except Fridays (which I worked as a DA in a clinic) and the weekends which I cleaned the house, enjoyed music, and played basketball, and occasionally studied a couple of cards. I did a lot of cards in the bus going back and forth form home to public library. the last 2 weeks, I studied more than 12 hours a day.

Google, Wikipedia, and USMLE first aid were other materials that I used occasionally, and they were of great help.

I did some of the exams (not all of them) only once during the last week. I started taking exams 10 days before my test. I didn't even score myself. I just went through every and each choice, and actually studied them, instead of just circling the right answer.

I know that many of us go through one of the toughest stages of our lives during the preparation period for part 1, specially if you are an imported dentist from elsewhere like me. The pressure is shearing, the study materials are extremely boring, and your future mostly depends on the result of the exam. One of the ways that I particularly used to keep myself motivated, was writing about my score, putting it somewhere that I can frequently look at, and imagining myself acing the exam. Don't underestimate the power of mind. Have a vision while trying your best.

Good luck on your journey.

Would you please tell more about the new format? Is that a huge difference between old and new test format? Thank you very much for your help!!!!!!

I think there are many many useful thread on SDN (which I used myself before taking the test) about the new format. You can use the forum search to find what you're looking for. But just to give you an idea about it, I think it is not harder at all. The best way to familiarize yourself with the new format is to take a look at the 2004 pilot. PM me, and I'll sent you the PDF version.

I think there are many many useful thread on SDN (which I used myself before taking the test) about the new format. You can use the forum search to find what you're looking for. But just to give you an idea about it, I think it is not harder at all. The best way to familiarize yourself with the new format is to take a look at the 2004 pilot. PM me, and I'll sent you the PDF version.

Hi Tahaza,
congratulations first of all!!!!You did it!!
Could you please send the 2004 pilot to me as well. I am going to take my part 1 on july and it is going to be my first time. I hope I can do great as you did. My email is [email protected]

Thanks a lot

Hi, Tahaza,

Could U send this PDF version to me at: [email protected]. Thanks!

Thanks Tahaza for sharing your experience and good Luck

Hi Tahaza,
first and foremost I think you are a wonderful human being;ie all the info sharing help.God bless you.Could you please e-mail me the pdf version of the pilot exam at [email protected].
Thanks in advance.

Hi Tahaza,

Can you please send me 2004 pilot papers please. I am so thankful to you for your great advice. Good luck in your future. You are helping others so god will help you in your way all the time.My email id is [email protected]

hi tahaza,
i came across this link today for the very first time .
i think it showed me the perfect example of synergy between good human intentions and technology!!
i have a few questions for you-
  • i saw ur marks they were all between 65 and 75 but your score is 91 ,do you know how this score is calculated ? i have no clue about it ..kindly explain!
  • i wanted to ask you about microbiology in particular ,do we need to study each bacteria .fungus and virus in detail from the books,..since the decks does not provide great detail about them?
  • plz also mail me the 2004 pilot exam @ [email protected]
thanks a lot
god bless you:)

Dear tahaza! thank you for sharing you're experience! Congragulations on you're wonderful score! you truly deserve the best after all the hard work that you've put in and also being compassionate enough to take the time out to help others. I'm also planning on taking the first part of the exam in july and am quiet nervous about the new format.

I was hoping you could give some guidelines about how to prepare for the clinical questions.

Also where did you get the kaplan books because I have a much older version and they are photocopied from someone and alot of the information is missing. So I've been trying to find out where i could purchase a new and original version.

And finally can you also please e-mail me the 2004 pilot exam. My email address is [email protected]. Wish you all the best!!! GOOOD LUCK!

Tahaza,

First of all, congratulantions for getting such a great score!!! Would you please send me 2004 pilot to the following address [email protected]. Thank you very much!!!!!!

Hi tahaza!I am a new member and i came across this thread for the very first time.I really appreciate your help on this thread.thanks for sharing your experiences with us.And congrats on your great achievement!!

Tahaza,I am planning to give exam but havent collected study material.Dont exactly know what all things i should get and where from?can you please guide me?:( Can you tell me how many months preparartion is enough to crack NBDE part1?And do you have to study theory in detail?What all books i should refer for theory?here's my email address,can you mail me pilot 2004 too? [email protected]

Thanks,

your response is eagerly awaited!!

hi tahaza,
i came across this link today for the very first time .
i think it showed me the perfect example of synergy between good human intentions and technology!!
i have a few questions for you-
  • i saw ur marks they were all between 65 and 75 but your score is 91 ,do you know how this score is calculated ? i have no clue about it ..kindly explain!
  • i wanted to ask you about microbiology in particular ,do we need to study each bacteria .fungus and virus in detail from the books,..since the decks does not provide great detail about them?
  • plz also mail me the 2004 pilot exam @ [email protected]
thanks a lot
god bless you:)

Hi my friend,

Thanks for the comment.

I have no idea about the seemingly complicated mathematical process through which your comprehensive score is calculated ( and I don't think I want to know the details anyway!). Focus on studying and leave the calculation part to ADA.

I didn't have the time to go through my text books. I know, however, that Decks are not covering all areas of basic science. In microbiology in particular, I used USMLE first aid, and I found it to be really helpful. I don't think that you should know all the bugs in detail. Be street smart. Master those that are of more importance in dentistry, like HBV,HIV,Fungal infections in Diabetics', and of course, Streps and Staphs. Have a general knowledge on the rest. That'll be enough.

I just emailed you the pilot exam.

Good luck.

Hi tahaza!I am a new member and i came across this thread for the very first time.I really appreciate your help on this thread.thanks for sharing your experiences with us.And congrats on your great achievement!!

Tahaza,I am planning to give exam but havent collected study material.Dont exactly know what all things i should get and where from?can you please guide me?:( Can you tell me how many months preparartion is enough to crack NBDE part1?And do you have to study theory in detail?What all books i should refer for theory?here's my email address,can you mail me pilot 2004 too? [email protected]

Thanks,

your response is eagerly awaited!!

Hi there,
I think I have elaborated the material and preparation time line I used before taking Part I under the same thread. I sent you the pilot exam.

Good luck

Congrats :thumbup: ! You have done a great job ON YOUR EXAM! I am new in this forum and also in my preparation for this exam. Are there any tips from your side for the beginners. I plan on taking the exam in mid august. Also can you please post me the pilot 2004. My email id [email protected] and Thanks for your help!

Hi there,
I think I have elaborated the material and preparation time line I used before taking Part I under the same thread. I sent you the pilot exam.

Good luck

Hi I came across this thread recently and i found it to be really helpful as i ws planning to give the exam very soon...Congrats on your great score and could you pls mail me the 2004 pilot pdf files at [email protected] thanks a lot for the help and all the best for your future...

Hi all,

Since I might not have the time to send all of you the 2004 pilot, I've uploaded it in my Blog, Tahaza. You can either click here, or just copy/paste the following address in your internet browser.

http://tahaza.blogspot.com/

Good luck.

Thanks a lot man.

Hi all,

Since I might not have the time to send all of you the 2004 pilot, I've uploaded it in my Blog, Tahaza. You can either click here, or just copy/paste the following address in your internet browser.

http://tahaza.blogspot.com/

Good luck.

Hi Tahaza,

Thanks a million for sharing all those experience and information. With such a great personality, I bet you will succeed in your dentistry career.

Good luck!!!!!! vbmenu_register("postmenu_5122185", true);

How long does it take to receive the part 1 scores frm ADA? Like in their website it says 3-4 weeks. Is it just 3-4 weeks or 3-4 business weeks ???? Some got their scores within 2 weeks some got after a month.. gettting confused !! :confused:
I need to receive the scores on time and send it to other colleges frm ADA b4 the deadlines asap. Thanks.

And also the TOEFL scores.. they say it takes 15 business days i guess it;s almost 3 weeks, right? Guys, pls,can u post how long did it take to get both the score? Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.