SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

The new age of medicine...

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by horsenurse25, May 10, 2007.

1. horsenurse25

horsenurse25 2+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2007
    I will not give my opinion on this... but I cannot wait to see what you guys have to say :D

And here is a challenge for you: I notice something about this article that is very interesting - not related to the clinic itself. I wonder if you guys notice it or not... :idea:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio. Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I'm sure you're referring to the fact that it would more appropriately be called a "nurse-in-a-box."

In-store clinics have been discussed ad nauseum in other threads on SDN, although I don't recall any articles that put such a frankly negative spin on it as this one does.

4. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest 10+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    I'm just wondering who is the physician that is signing off on this crap?

5. fab4fan

fab4fan TiredRetiredRN Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Desolation Row
    I have to admit, I am more than a little skeeved at the thought of a clinic in a grocery store.

6. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill 7+ Year Member

Florida is one of the few states that has supervision for NP's. So there has to be a physician involved. Probably getting good bucks for not doing much. Here is there website.
    http://www.thelittleclinic.com/default.asp
    There are listings for jobs as chief medical officer and director of medical affairs. Of course they have PA positions listed under nursing:mad: .

David Carpenter, PA-C

7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    "Ma'm, you seem to have spilled some guacamole from the salad bar on your...ewwww, that's not guacamole!":laugh:

8. Chronic Student

Chronic Student So Fresh, So Clean 5+ Year Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Thanks, all I can see in my mind is copious amounts of baby poop. In fact, thats what we call guacamole in our house.

9. smkoepke

smkoepke Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Honestly having seen some of the folks that frequent Walmart, Winco etc... the idea of sick people coming in to the store can't possibly gross me out anymore than I am now. Continuity of care is a huge issue, but honestly I can see a lot of benefits for the under insured who don't have 150-240 dollars to pay just for a doc/np/pa to tell them something they probably already know (you have a UTI, a sinus infection, and ear infection etc..). Rapid strep tests, bronchitis etc... wouldn't it be nice if people could take care of these issues before they turn into rheumatic fever, pneumonia etc...? Out where i am it really does cost about 150-240 to go into urgent care without insurance or make an appointment with a clinic as a self-paying patient. This doesn't include any labs or the meds. I wonder if there are any statistics out there about people without insurance ending up in the ER with kidney infections? (I might have to surf that when I have time). Some zebras will be missed for sure, but it sounds like the prospective clients for this clinic are people who wouldn't have any form of care anyway so anything will help.

10. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill 7+ Year Member

We are looking at this in the house of delegates for AAPA. Interestingly enough at least some of these organisations have fairly detailed policies on what the providers can and cannot see. The problem comes when the providers don't follow the policies or the patient is directed to go to the ER or primary care provider and doesn't. We have enough problems with the liability of getting people to actually do the test we order. What's the liability at Wal-Mart. My prediction that they will be out of there with the first bad outcome.

"Wal-Mart Clinic kills mother of three". That will probably take care of things.

David Carpenter, PA-C