The new age of medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horsenurse25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'Little Clinic' set to open at Publix in Wellington

By Dwayne Robinson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, May 10, 2007

WELLINGTON - Publix's first health clinic in a Palm Beach County grocery store is scheduled to open in the village in less than two weeks.

But some Wellington residents say once produce and groceries are mixed with patients with flu-like symptoms or other ailments, Publix will become the place where shopping was once a pleasure.

On or about May 20, Publix, Florida's largest grocer, plans to open The Little Clinic in its store at 13880 Wellington Trace, near Greenview Shores Boulevard. The clinic, also commonly known as a "doc in a box," would have an on-staff nurse practitioner during hours similar to its pharmacy's to perform health services for Publix customers, such as school physicals, vaccinations, cholesterol screenings or providing prescriptions for sinusitis, the flu or ear infections.

Publix's pitch for the roughly $50-a-pop services at the clinic, one of four slated to open in South Florida in the next month, is the added convenience, like avoiding long waits at a doctor's office or seeing a nurse while stocking up on cough medicine and orange juice.

And one of the key targets are parents.

"You don't have to take off from work anymore if your child has an earache," Publix spokeswoman Anne Hendricks said. "Your child doesn't always get an earache between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., when the doctor is open."

But Binks Forest resident Shauna Hostetler, a mother of five, said she doesn't feel a grocery store is the right place for a clinic.

"I think it's disgusting," Hostetler said. "That's really what I want to think about when I'm getting food. I can't see why it's a great service to the community."

Some other Wellington residents also say the clinic would be like a magnet, drawing even more sick patrons to Publix than is typical. Plus, they're concerned that those with more serious injuries or sicknesses may seek medical assistance there.

"That's what the emergency room is for," Hendricks says. "The Little Clinic is not set up to handle serious medical care, and it won't handle serious medical care."

Neither the Palm Beach County Health Department nor the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services were alarmed by the proposal, which is becoming a growing trend across the country, including with other chains such as Wal-Mart. Publix reports it has 16 other stores in five states with the clinics.

"Publix is a very, very responsible organization," Department of Agriculture spokesman Terrence McElroy said. "I don't think they would be involved if they thought it constituted a risk. We do not."

Wellington's clinic would be in the old photo center near the store's entrance, but Hostetler, who still has two school-aged children, said she would never use it. "And I've had times where I've had emergencies in the middle of the night and had to wait at Palms West (Hospital) for four hours," she said.

I will not give my opinion on this... but I cannot wait to see what you guys have to say :D

And here is a challenge for you: I notice something about this article that is very interesting - not related to the clinic itself. I wonder if you guys notice it or not... :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

I notice something about this article that is very interesting - not related to the clinic itself. I wonder if you guys notice it or not...

I'm sure you're referring to the fact that it would more appropriately be called a "nurse-in-a-box."

In-store clinics have been discussed ad nauseum in other threads on SDN, although I don't recall any articles that put such a frankly negative spin on it as this one does.

I will not give my opinion on this... but I cannot wait to see what you guys have to say :D

And here is a challenge for you: I notice something about this article that is very interesting - not related to the clinic itself. I wonder if you guys notice it or not... :idea:

I'm just wondering who is the physician that is signing off on this crap?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit, I am more than a little skeeved at the thought of a clinic in a grocery store.

I'm just wondering who is the physician that is signing off on this crap?

Florida is one of the few states that has supervision for NP's. So there has to be a physician involved. Probably getting good bucks for not doing much. Here is there website.
http://www.thelittleclinic.com/default.asp
There are listings for jobs as chief medical officer and director of medical affairs. Of course they have PA positions listed under nursing:mad: .

David Carpenter, PA-C

"Ma'm, you seem to have spilled some guacamole from the salad bar on your...ewwww, that's not guacamole!":laugh:

Thanks, all I can see in my mind is copious amounts of baby poop. In fact, thats what we call guacamole in our house.

Honestly having seen some of the folks that frequent Walmart, Winco etc... the idea of sick people coming in to the store can't possibly gross me out anymore than I am now. Continuity of care is a huge issue, but honestly I can see a lot of benefits for the under insured who don't have 150-240 dollars to pay just for a doc/np/pa to tell them something they probably already know (you have a UTI, a sinus infection, and ear infection etc..). Rapid strep tests, bronchitis etc... wouldn't it be nice if people could take care of these issues before they turn into rheumatic fever, pneumonia etc...? Out where i am it really does cost about 150-240 to go into urgent care without insurance or make an appointment with a clinic as a self-paying patient. This doesn't include any labs or the meds. I wonder if there are any statistics out there about people without insurance ending up in the ER with kidney infections? (I might have to surf that when I have time). Some zebras will be missed for sure, but it sounds like the prospective clients for this clinic are people who wouldn't have any form of care anyway so anything will help.

We are looking at this in the house of delegates for AAPA. Interestingly enough at least some of these organisations have fairly detailed policies on what the providers can and cannot see. The problem comes when the providers don't follow the policies or the patient is directed to go to the ER or primary care provider and doesn't. We have enough problems with the liability of getting people to actually do the test we order. What's the liability at Wal-Mart. My prediction that they will be out of there with the first bad outcome.

"Wal-Mart Clinic kills mother of three". That will probably take care of things.

David Carpenter, PA-C