The New Americans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't think of a better thread to post this. It's a great documentary. Make sure you do the quiz, it sure clears out some myths and misconceptions. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did and helps all us understand that we don't mean to offend when we ask "stupid" questions, it's just ignorance about each others lives. Tolerance it's all it takes.

The New Americans

For the new Americans of the 21st century, the attempt to forge a better life is a daily struggle filled with immigration red tape, separation anxiety, and cultural ignorance found in their adopted country -- no easier than for those who came before them. Yet, they still come. This PBS series follows Ogoni refugees, a Palestinian bride, Dominican baseball players, a Mexican laborer, and an Indian tech worker as they learn what it takes to become American. Each story begins in the subjects' homeland, and traces their gradual transition and eventual assimilation into their adopted home. Just as Italian-Americans and African-Americans have infused their culinary traditions and music into American culture, so these newcomers bring their tribal drums, bindi paints, exciting cuisines, and other native riches that slowly mesh with the existing culture. The story of America has always been layer upon layer of new beginnings. Let's see what this generation brings.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/newamericans/index.html

Members don't see this ad.

thanks meggs....very stupidly i decided not to watch that program 2 days ago since i dint know what it was about! there's one tonite at 9pm for those interested! :) i wonder if its a repeat or the continuation......meggs?

Originally posted by toothmail
thanks meggs....very stupidly i decided not to watch that program 2 days ago since i dint know what it was about! there's one tonite at 9pm for those interested! :) i wonder if its a repeat or the continuation......meggs?

I don't know, 'cause I don't have that channel at home. :mad: I love PBS.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was hanging on tv for a while today and i was just stucked by WWTC11 chanel which showed up the new americans you talked about,literally i couldent keep my eyes off tv... a programme which is so sincere and concerned about immigrants from arabic world, india, mexico, africa how they blended up with the american society their hopes and dreams and what were their ideas about america before immigrating comparable to the ideas they hold about america right now,it was so frank that i felt like i know the people and i interacted with them by all my feelings,it shows you that many people felt sorry leaving their homes and family coming here,some of them were just the opposite,it really touched...it shows me the greatness of this country.
you have to watch it guys because honestly you will learn something out of it.

I also watched the program. It was really interesting for me. I think that we can all relate to some aspects of what they are going through.

I really enjoy shows like that.

My heart really went out to the Chemical Engineer who took his exam and didn't pass it. It is very tough. But he seems to be a determined person. I wish him luck!

Excellent show!!!

I wanna see it!!!! +pity+ +pissed+

really interesting prgmm!!!!

Hi,Meggs
The program was 2 parts and the 2nd part aired yesterday night ..me and my husband were watching it ....it was realy such an interesting program..to see Pedro the mexican coming to america with all his 7 children..and Isrel making it in this country and having a baby...and the indian techie guy with his wife coming to terms about keeping a job here in the US ..
I learnt something..from the program ..about being positive in spite of adversities that face us in life and how pratical people are all over the world and "GOD is one"......people of all faiths and religions pray to GOD ..and whatever the " color" of skin that you have ..people all over the world are all the same..and we should not diiferentiate between them..and have to treat everyone right...and it showed me what a great country that Im in right now"LAND OF THE FREE"It is a land of immigrants... .........and to appreciate it even more!!!....and that there is a world " FULL"of opportunities..all you have to do is work hard and make it here.!!!
Toothzone

:p

hey guys seems klike a nice program. whn does it air?
i read the intro in the website.it was good,thanks to u meggs i would have known this otherwise.i dont watch much tv:D

Originally posted by Toothzone
..how pratical people are all over the world and "GOD is one"......people of all faiths and religions pray to GOD ..and whatever the " color" of skin that you have ..people all over the world are all the same..and we should not diiferentiate between them..and have to treat everyone right...

Script of the CARE PSA "Beliefs and Actions:"

"S? gentil con el vecino que es pariente y con el vecino que es un desconocido"
-Islam

"Mientras m?s uno hace por el pr?jimo, m?s uno tiene para s? mismo"
-Taoismo

"Abre tu mano al pobre y necesitado"
-Judaismo

"Ama tu pr?jimo como a t? mismo"
-Cristianismo

"Be kind to the neighbor who is kin, and the neighbor who is a stranger"
- Islam

" The more one does for others, the more one has himself"
-Taoism

"Open your hand to the poor and needy"
- Judaism

"Love thy neighbor as thyself"
-Christianity

Originally posted by meggs
Script of the CARE PSA "Beliefs and Actions:"

"S? gentil con el vecino que es pariente y con el vecino que es un desconocido"
-Islam

"Mientras m?s uno hace por el pr?jimo, m?s uno tiene para s? mismo"
-Taoismo

"Abre tu mano al pobre y necesitado"
-Judaismo

"Ama tu pr?jimo como a t? mismo"
-Cristianismo

"Be kind to the neighbor who is kin, and the neighbor who is a stranger"
- Islam

" The more one does for others, the more one has himself"
-Taoism

"Open your hand to the poor and needy"
- Judaism

"Love thy neighbor as thyself"
-Christianity
its nice of you to show such script in your signature and it means that your a tolerent girl who cares about others,something we must understand that will get us to the other bank is to be tolerent and try to learn how to live with each others despite all the differences we have carried with us.one for you meggs.
by they way iam an ignorant person but what is taoism:confused:

Originally posted by toothlord
by they way iam an ignorant person but what is taoism:confused:

Glad to know I'm not the only culturally challenged around here! :laugh: :laugh:
I think Taoism is some beleif around the Far East region, like China and such. :confused:

btw, thanks for your beautiful words. ;)