The NEW Cook County Hospital.

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Future GI Guy, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Future GI Guy

Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo....
    7+ Year Member

I've read some of the complaints about Cook County residencies, and they seem to center around the crappy facilities.

How much will the new hospital (which opens in the fall of 2002 and will incorporate all services under one roof) change the way residencies are perceived at Cook County.

For instance, I've read they have a hard time filling Internal Medicine spots with U.S. Grads. I know I wouldn't want to work in a non-air conditioned building or have to walk a blood sample down the street to pathology. But all that should cease with the new building.

Anyone in Chicago or at the present Cook County care to comment. Thanks.

2. Whisker Barrel Cortex

10+ Year Member

I interviewed there for radiology and saw the old hospital as well as the outside of the new building. From talking to residents and even the attendings, they believe the new hospital facilities will be a big plus (all filmless radiology, many new machines, etc.). However, they said the really frustrating part of Cook County is the lack of adequate ancillary services and the overall inefficiency of the place. They didn't think this would change. It is hectic to say the least and I think a new facility will not change that much.

3. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The new facilities look fantastic. We will see how long the new nice toys like filmless radiology last. The medicine program is entirely filled with IMGs or a few DOs who completed their AOA intership year and then elected to stay on. Their EM program on the other hand is highly competitive and is filled with the likes of Northwestern and Ivy grads (and some DOs). There seems to be a bit of a transition going on too, with more of the medicine fellowships being run by Rush. Only time will tell.

4. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I saw the new building, and it looks quite nice. Small, though, compared to the current buildings. However, I don't think things will change that much. They were having trouble with the union that run the elevators because there is no plan to have elevator operators in the new building. (The elevators in the old building are push button. If there is no operator for the elevator, the elevator doesn't run. You can wait as long as 1/2 hour for a working elevator.) :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...