The NEW IL (Chicago Schools, etc.) Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gumshoe, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member

In the interest of not having to dig up ancient threads, let us now put any new information or findings in this new Illinois Med School threads. Any news on you guys? Woots? Agent? Explosivo?>

You guys still with us? All other fellow IL-ers welcome.

Peace in the middle east,

Gumshoe

:rolleyes:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

Yeah I'm still with you all but I've been staying away from pre-allo for the past couple weeks. There's just too much dumb **** in here that I don't care much for anymore other than the AA thread. :D

Well I've been accepted to UIC which is great and I'm pretty sure I'll end up there. Loyola while giving me a favorable rating early on passed on me yet again for an interview until my file is reviewed in January. I think I'm going to write them a letter to show some extra interest b/c Loyola is a place that I genuinely would love to go. No news from Northwestern on an interview but I think at this point for me, no news is good news from NW. Last time I applied I was rejected post-secondary by them in November so I've surpassed my old mark. Incidently, NW been getting some "bad press" here on SDN lately which is making me wonder if going there is really worth it. Apparently, some docs in the Chicago area aren't big fans of their students when it comes time for residency.

The big news for me was scoring a BU interview. In fact I just got back from Boston yesterday. I liked the school and was very impressed with their medical center and their strong committment to serving the urban poor. The students seem genuinely happy and at least 20 came by for lunch with us so they weren't a bunch of handpicked students by the admissions office trained to say certain things. They were there for the free food more than anything else. While I liked the school I wasn't a big fan of Boston and frankly couldn't see that it was $18,000/yr better than UIC. The student body seems to be a lot more cooperative with each other whereas UIC seems to have this every man/women for themselves attitude. I don't think BU will admit me but if they do I'll have to see what kind of aid they'll offer but since they give mostly loans I think I'll be sticking with UIC. (Not that I'm complaining, believe me). :)

So basically I'm looking forward to starting at UIC and holding out slight glimmers of hope for Loyola or NW but I'm not expecting any surprises.

4. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

Yo explosivo, you were at BU yesterday?? Were you in the elevators around 10 AM, might have saw you. I work there and saw two interviewees yesterday

5. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    Same here. It seems like most all the threads are school-specific to places I didn't apply, so it doesn't hold alot of interest to me. :rolleyes: But I do check in every once in a while. The Lounge is definately where it's at. :D

Other than getting waitlisted at Vandy, everything's the same here. I sent a letter to Wisconsin-Madison trying to weasel out of taking another semester or orgainc. I also managed to pull off a fair amount of a$$-kissing at the same time. ;)

Right now if I had to pick, I'd probably choose Loyola of the places I've been accepted to. I'm still holding out a little hope for UMich, but who knows. A lot will become clearer once financial aid stuff comes out in the spring.

Later Illinoians, and keep warm!

~woots :)

6. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

Yeah I was at BU but the only time I was in an elevator was when I was over at Boston Medical Center for the tour and for my interview. There were like 30 of us packing into elevators all dressed up nice so we kind of stood out. Probably wasn't me though since at 10:00 I was in one of their sessions in the admissions office.

7. opus03

opus03 Senior Member

Hello fellow Illinoians! I decided to join in...I am from Southern IL but am currently living in No.Cali. I applied to all IL schools except NW....I figured it was a waste of my time. Anyway, I have an SIU and CMS interview in January but haven't heard from Loyola or UIC except to find out my app was complete. No word at all from Rush. My files have only been complete for like 3 weeks at all schools except UIC which has been like 6 weeks. I'm not worried yet but I was wondering around how long everyone had to wait to hear from these guys??(especially UIC) Thanks in advance to anyone who has some info to pass along. I hope you guys aren't too cold....although it is wet and rainy here!;)

8. whatfun

whatfun Member

Woots,

Where have you interviewed and where are you accepted? Just curious because you said Loyola is your first choice right now. It's the only place I've been accepted to so far, but I liked it most out of all my interviews. Why do you like it more than the other schools at which you've interviewed? I sense you've interviewed at alot of places so far.

9. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member

How many does Loyola Interview/Accept/Reject per year??
    or whatever that format is ...

Cheers,
    Gumshoe

10. agent

agent agent, RN

Hey All.

I'm applying to Roosevelt U in schuamburg this coming semester.

They seem to have a good bio/chem program and its pretty much the only place in the area I can go at night. ;)

Good Luck to all.

11. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member

Agent, have you given up? are you not getting in? Come on now!

More classes! F*Ck classes

Gumshoe

Peace and good luck

:laugh:

12. agent

agent agent, RN

Giving up.. :oops: I'm not broken yet.

Remember I'm still in undergrad even though I'm 25. I have to apply to a 4yr school so I can get my BS in biology.

Roosevelt seems to have a good program, they offer courses in immunology, histology, genetics, etc. Lots of first year med type stuff.

The thing is its $432 a credit hour, but my options are limited.

I wont be applying for Loyola for 3 years probably. You guys will be long into med school by then.. right? ;)

13. Woots32

Medical Student
    You may be sorry you asked, because here's my life story... ;)

I've interviewed at UMich, Loyola, CWRU, Yale, Mayo, Iowa, Vandy, MCOW, and UIC. I had an interview at Rush, but I withdrew. And I have an interview scheduled at Northwestern on Jan. 14th, but I don't think I'll end up going. I'm still waiting to schedule an interview at U Wisconsin. :p

I've been accepted to Loyola, CWRU, Iowa, MCOW, and UIC. I'm on the waitlist at UMich, Vandy, and (kinda) Mayo. I declined Case because I really didn't like Cleveland :mad: (no offense). I guess I like Loyola because it's pretty close to home, has great facilities, a pretty good curriculum, and all the students, staff, and faculty seemed really friendly and happy there. :) Iowa seemed like a good school, but the interview day kinda blew, so I didn't learn much. I liked MCOW, but I'm not sure about how competitive they are for residencies. I think alot of my decision will be financial aid.

I think that about sums it up. ;)

14. *fatmike*

*fatmike* Member

a little note on loyola...i was at my UIC interview today and my student tour guide talked about loyola for about 5-10min. I dont know what her deal was, but what she said my be of some interest to people planning on going there....basically, she said the school was in serious financial trouble (source: a couple of her friends that go to school there). The new facilities that they build 5 or so years ago they apparently have not come anywhere near paying for yet and one of the places that they are looking to get some funds, yep, the students! look out for tuition hikes in the next few years....anyone going to loyola should inquire about this

mike

15. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member

"the school was in serious financial trouble (source: a couple of her friends that go to school there). The new facilities that they build 5 or so years ago they apparently have not come anywhere near paying for yet and one of the places that they are looking to get some funds, yep, the students! "

Tuition hikes? Yikes, I hope not! The tuition is the only thing i don't like about Loyola! Otherwise i'm pretty sure i'm going there.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. PluckyDuk8

PluckyDuk8 Pluck of all Plucks

Hello to all the IL people!

Tuition will naturally be going up everywhere. I don't think that Loyola would/could/be so stupid as to go too much above the other Illinois privates- otherwise known as the competition. I would prefer more definitive answers to this than rumors. Nonetheless, I don't think that this would override my desire to go to a certain school if I think that it is the right fit. Another $5000 or so to pay off won't be worth my happiness.

Another question, at my undergrad our tuition was capped (right term?) upon entrance...What I mean is that if there was a huge tuition hike, let's say when you are entering your third year, only the incoming freshman pay that and you don't have to. Does this occur at all with medical schools?

I am probably finding out tomorrow if I got accepted to Rush...wish me luck!

18. Pneumo

Pneumo Member

Let's not jump to conclusions. Like many university health systems, Loyola has a tight budget. However, as a former patient, researcher, and sibling of an alum., I can assure you that the university is not in dire straights. They are just finishing a brand new outpatient center. I doubt a building of its magnitude would go up if the medical center were in serious financial trouble.

19. agent

agent agent, RN

Yeah thanks for the rumor but thats a load of crap.

Loyola spent a good deal of their surplus to build the new facilities but they arent in financial trouble.

gj *******.

20. *fatmike*

*fatmike* Member

Maybe it is a "load of crap". I was just trying to pass on some info to people that were considering going to loyola next year. It is worth looking into, isn't it?

21. agent

agent agent, RN

I didnt mean to be an ass, but some people are highly influencial and you shouldnt pass on rumors that just arent true.

22. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

you know on my UIC interview I found it a bit distasteful that the some of the student tour guides tried to bash other schools in the area. This was of course "off-the record" type stuff said informally but still I found it in poor form.

Shockingly however, no one has realized the fact that tuition and fees at UIC have gone from $12k/yr to 20k/yr in recent years and that the state of IL is in a huge budget crisis itself. Again, where do you think UIC is going to get the money to train medical students if not from the state? I can almost guarantee tuition hikes at UIC for the next few years.

23. agent

agent agent, RN

UIC has gone up substancially which is a disappointment cause I know a lot of pre-meds were counting on their low prices. I'm sure UIC will continue to go upo as they build new facilities.

24. whatfun

whatfun Member

I noticed the UIC students also took jabs at other schools - sort of unnecessary.

As for money, everyone has brought this up in some form or another, but I think every school, public or private, will see more significant increases in tuition over the next several years. We might see bigger increases at public institutions due to the severe budget shortfalls states are currently experiencing. Also, most private universities will probably see (or already have seen) drop-offs in donations. Therefore, their costs will probably increase.

Also, thank you woots for your opinion on the schools you've seen. Congrats on all your interviews/acceptances, too!

I liked Loyola for the same reasons. Maybe I'll see you there next year!

25. Woots32

Medical Student
    I totally agree that there will be tuition hikes at UIC. I'm a student at UIUC now, and we've had terrible budget problems. There was a pay freeze for faculty, talks of a hiring freeze, and even layoffs. Tuition for current students was kept the same, but incoming students had a tuition hike. :mad:

I'm sure the same state budget crisis will have an effect on the medical school too. :(

26. maybe

maybe Junior Member

Well i haven't seen much on CMS (Finch) on any forums. anyone here from them? I interviewed recently and liked it a lot, and i'm a cali resident which means i hate cold weather.
    :cool:

27. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng

The tour guide at uic is probably not the most reliable source on Loyola's operating budget :rolleyes:

That having been said, budget cuts are going to be an issue across the board. When I was at Peoria for my uic interview one of the people on staff there mentioned that they were currently going through a 10% budget cut. Now I question if 10% could POSSIBLY be an accurate number - but it caught me off guard at the time.

Anyways, the Chicago schools "bashing" each other is certainly not specific to uic...it seems like it has happened to a couple of people but it can happen anywhere (when I was at Loyola my interviewer gave me an ear full about uic).

My personal feeling is that if you put the effort in at either school you can become a competent doctor.

28. nuclearrabbit77

nuclearrabbit77 commercial sex worker

wtf?

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006

29. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

"WTF?" Yeah that was exactly my response when I first heard this. This isn't my opinion and I'm not sure if I buy it so don't get your panties in a bunch. Here's the thread I'm referring to:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52110

Incidently you posted on it but I guess you didn't check out any of the follow-up posts. Personally I would still love to go to Northwestern it's just that there have also been a few SDNers that have been turned off by their interview day and still others that have decided to decline interview offers for whatever reason. It just seems like Northwestern hasn't been getting much respect on here lately that's all.

30. mcatkitkat

mcatkitkat Member

So I hear UIC is in a huge budget crunch. Are they screening for secondaries this year or collecting app fees from everyone? Review.com says 1/3 of apps get secondaries. Is this still correct?

31. agent

agent agent, RN

Is it the common opinion that NW is overrated..?

That's my opinion.

32. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

Just curious--would you care to share some of the "highpoints" with regard to the earful you got about UIC from the Loyola interviewer? It strikes me as very odd that an interviewer would rip on another school.

Here's my goal right now. I'm trying to figure UIC out. Is it changing for the better or is it the 7th layer of Hell as many of their students make it out to be. As such, I am interested in dirt but I'm also interested in any positive things people have to say about the place....it's just that the positives seem to begin and end with a comment here or their about their clinical training and thats it. It used to be that the tuition was another positive always accentuated but now even that is debatable as they are certain to go over $20k/yr tuition in the near future.

33. Jumpu

Jumpu Tiger Mom/Physiatrist

Attending Physician
    I applied to all 6 chicago schools, MCW and Umiami (I am a florida resident, looking to move to Chicago permanently with my family within the year). Being a marginal candidate I don't expect to get in this year, in fact, I've already been rejected by northwestern, u of chicago and UIC (not surprisingly). I'm pretty much on hold for interview everywhere else. My backup plan is to do some grad work in the following year if I don't get in and then reapply. Anyhow, wish me luck and I'll keep checking this thread for any tidbits!:)

34. gogiants

gogiants Senior Member

i also had a loyola interviewer who discussed some of the negative aspects of UIC. she had gone there herself and felt it was a rather isolating environment, and the clinical skills you gain there are not as good as at loyola. i personally know absolutely nothing about UIC.

35. At my interview they also talked some smack about Loyola...wasn't too professional. I couldn't understand why b/c the facilities were so much nicer at Loyola. They also talked a lot of smack about Rush. Did anybody else notice that? They really seemed to take the existance of Rush personally. Also..I heard from an ISU prof that the all state funded schools in IL are in big trouble budget-wise...just to reinforce what everybody else is saying. I wonder if that applies to SIU also?

36. Woots32

Medical Student
    I have a good friend who is an M1 in Urbana. So if you're specifically interested in Chicago, this might not be as much help. He's told me that if I get in anywhere else, not to go to UIC. I'm not sure what all of his reasons are for this, because he's so busy he never has time to go for a drink. :(

I don't know if this hurts or helps your quest for info. :p

37. PluckyDuk8

At my Rush interview they said that all the UIC students come to study at Rush's library because they are so sick of UIC...and that Rush has a real library (but I haven't been to UIC so who knows). :)

38. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng

Explosivo - you have PM

Here's a question to throw out there...

Most claim that the 3rd and 4th years are when you will actually do most of your med-school "learning" that is applicable. Anybody know if the clinical rotations are really different at ANY of these schools?...I'd be interested in knowing how much overlap there is in the location of 3rd & 4th year rotations at uic/rush/northwestern/loyola. I mean, geographically uic and rush are practically on top of each other (By the way this could be one possible reason for the rivalry?)

39. ForceField

ForceField Impervious

I really don't understand why everybody is using hearsay to determine which schools are good and which suck. You're a doctor when you're done, and if you go to Loyola you won't be any better of a doctor than if you go to UIC. Everything depends on the student and how hard he/she works. You guys make it sound like people that go to UIC will become crappy doctors, and those that go to Loyola become magnificent. You can go wherever you want, and if you work hard and passionately, you can become a great doctor, whether you go to Harvard or Crappo Med School.

40. mcatkitkat

mcatkitkat Member

so does UIC screen for their secondaries?

41. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

I agree with you, but unfortunately that has nothing to do with what is being discussed. You've completely misunderstood the issue. The issue is not whether I or anyone else feels one school or the other will produce a better doctor.

It is which school offers a more conducive environment in which to learn. UIC has a reputation, from the students I have spoken to that GO THERE (this isn't heresay), that it has had a more malignant program than say Loyola. What it all boils down to is whether one will be happier for 4 years at UIC or Loyola. This is a valid question to ask b/c deciding where one should go to medical school is a big decision and should not be treated as if one where deciding what color underwear to put on in the morning.

Sure you'll become a doctor no matter where you go but in what type of environment do you wish to embark on that journey? Anyone that tells me that UIC and Loyola have similar environments needs to get their head checked. The schools couldn't be more different. What I am trying to ascertain is what the overall learning environment is like at the various Chicago med schools. After all, if one is willing to invest 4 years of their life at a place they better damn well know what they're getting themselves into. If you think that's fickle well then fine but when I see UIC med students completely burnt out ripping on their school with a passion, that makes me wonder a bit. Wouldn't it make you wonder too?

42. Woots32

Medical Student
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said. I think in the rush to get into whatever school has the best reputation or rankings, people tend to forget that the next 4 years will be about more than classes and rotations. People are often more successful when they are happier. If only there was a USNews report on that. ;)

43. uwcoxswain

uwcoxswain Member

Hello everyone. Mind if another Illinois native jumps in? I've got a few quick questions concerning interviews...

SIU- Word on the street is that if you are from Cook County forget about it... they are only interested in mid and downstate people. Any truth to this? Anyone know people from Cook County that got in? I received an interview there, and will still go, but am hesitant to even consider it an option.

Northwestern- How many people do they end up interviewing? How many people end up getting accepted? I have slightly sub-par numbers but was lucky enough to get an interview there... am I looking at a 1:2 chance or what? Where is a good place to find numbers like this for NU as well as other med schools? Ahhhh... the sweet sweet thoughts of PBLs and Michigan Avenue have been filling my dreams as of late.

Good luck to everyone.

44. PluckyDuk8

I just got accepted to Rush! :clap:

I was the only one of my group that had one of their interviews be with the Director of Admissions, so I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing! It made me nervous though. The interview was really chilled and I surprisingly got no hard questions, it was more like a regular chat. I had her for my open interview so I thought that she would ask something about my transcript, but I got none of that.

Oh, I just wanted to add again to those w/lower MCAT's to please keep up hope. Me and my "measly" 28 have gotten into two schools.

Now I thankfully have to choose between Rush and Loyola (I have been rejected from all the other IL schools and I'll probably withdraw from Finch). Other than talking to current and past students, and some of the docs I'll come across at work (EMT), visiting both schools again for a day, and waiting for my aid statements, what other ideas would u guys have that would help me decide?

So far I am leaning toward Loyola for many of the reasons already discussed on this thread and the previous one (better suited learning style for me, amazing facilities, more on the upswing, friendly people, etc.). It was also my gut feeling after interview days at both schools.

45. duffmckagan

duffmckagan New Member

Hey PluckyDuk8 did you here from Rush yesterday or today? Any one else here from Rush post interview? I interviewed this week so wont here till next week at the earliest.

46. duffmckagan

duffmckagan New Member

Excuse my out of date post. CONGRATULATIONS to you Plucky.

47. *fatmike*

*fatmike* Member

For uwcoxswain - I was born in cook county and grew up in a close suburb and interviewed there on 11.12.02. The curriculum seemed very low stress and fantastic, and so did the students. But i think the thought of living in springfield and carbondale turned me off to the school. From their stats, most people that interview that get in (over 50% anyway).

did you go to UW madison?

48. uwcoxswain

uwcoxswain Member

*fatmike*-

Thanks for the reply. While Springfield and Carbondale don't thrill me either, I am still waiting on my first "yes", so I will take it wherever I can get it... A friend of mine is a physician and seems to be in the know about admissions. He claims that SIU is VERY discerning when it comes to us Cook County'ers. Where are you from?

And yes, I am at UW-Madison. You?

49. *fatmike*

*fatmike* Member

well, your friend is right. the only reason i think i got an interview was because neither of my parents went past high school for their education, odd reason, but this has been reinfoced by another IL applicant on this board. anyway, I am in madison and I work for the chemistry dept....i am talking a year off before i (hopefully!) go to medical school.

50. PluckyDuk8

Yep, it took much longer to hear for me than the normal 2 weeks that they tell you to call back. The committee didn't meet the Wed. of Thanksgiving, and the Director has been sick.

51. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    Even though I'm not an IL resident, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I recently interviewed at UIC (Chicago campus) and didn't think it was too bad. I would be fine going there. What really got me was how my student interviewer/tour guide was bashing not just Loyola, but also Rush and the University of Chicago.

What really got me thinking though was that this person mentioned she chose UIC (Chicago campus) over other acceptances she got at University of Chicago, Rush, and Loyola. Yes, you read that right. Except for the lower tuition, I can't see how that decision was really wise. Your thoughts?

52. ForceField

ForceField Impervious

SolidGold,

I have interviewed at U of C, UIC, Rush, accepted at the latter two and waiting on U of C. All in all, I would choose UIC mainly because of price. I'm not really interested in academic medicine, and feel I will become just as competent of a doctor by being at UIC. I went to UIUC for undergrad and greatly enjoyed my experience, and have no doubts that I'd like UIC. UIC has the most diverse class in the nation, and offers a wide array of opportunities hard to find at other schools. With the sheer size of a public school like UIC, there is simply more opportunities available. more hospitals to do rotations, you just have to take initiative to get involved.

In addition, to go back and comment more on the price of UIC. When choosing a medical school, I am not just taking into account what I want, but of what my family wants for me. I know that they are concerned about price, specifically if something unfortunate was to happen to me in the next four years, I wouldn't want to lay such a large debt on my parents. Also, there are plenty of very well qualified candidates that choose state schools over highly ranked private institutions simply because of price. Despite the disadvantages a school like UIC may have in the face of U of C, students that are successful at UIC take advantage of every opportunity presented to them, and don't depend on the school's rep to pull them along. Not that UIC has a bad rep, but perhaps not as highly recognized as U of C.

Hope this helps.