The NEW IL (Chicago Schools, etc.) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by SolidGold
Even though I'm not an IL resident, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I recently interviewed at UIC (Chicago campus) and didn't think it was too bad. I would be fine going there. What really got me was how my student interviewer/tour guide was bashing not just Loyola, but also Rush and the University of Chicago.

What really got me thinking though was that this person mentioned she chose UIC (Chicago campus) over other acceptances she got at University of Chicago, Rush, and Loyola. Yes, you read that right. Except for the lower tuition, I can't see how that decision was really wise. Your thoughts?

Well let me offer my thoughts on this but let me preface them with this:

I am ecstatic that I have been accepted to UIC med and appreciate it everytime I browse these boards and I see people without any acceptances at all. I should know best because there was a time when I was in their shoes.

When I interviewed at UIC I didn't think it was too bad either. But that was just interview day and things were spruced up. Having spoken to at least 10-15 UIC med students over the past couple years, I know better. What you get on interview day, and this is not only at UIC but at Loyola and other schools as well, is good old fashioned SPIN. In order to get a better idea of what a school is like you need to speak with med students informally who are not part of the admissions process or interview activities.

Now, back to your tour guide and the claim that she chose UIC over UofC, Rush and Loyola. She could've been lying but for the sake of argument lets say she's telling the truth. Well, 4 years ago, the tuition at UIC was in total about $12k/yr. That's dirt cheap and when you compare it to the tuition at the other 3 schools she supposedly got into then it is plausible that she could have chosen UIC solely for the money. Today however things are different. UIC tuition hovers around $20k while tuition for the others 3 schools hovers around $10k more. Basically the difference in tuition has decreased such that money isn't as big of a factor as it once was. Thereore today, it would seem a bit odd that someone would chose UIC hands down over the other 3 schools.

I could see though why one would choose UIC over UofC and that is if a person was not particularly interested in research which is UofCs main strength.

I'll tell you though what you should do. If you remember her name, let me know because I have the e-mail addresses of most of the student tour guides that I got when I received my acceptance letter. I'll give you her e-mail address and you can ask her yourself b/c we're all just speculating right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to argue, but to clarify differences in tuition, they're not hovering around $10,000 differences.

UIC: ~ $18,000
Loyola: ~$32,000
Rush: ~$31,000
Pritzker: ~$35,000

Not sure about the price of Pritzker, but I'm pretty sure it's above Rush and Loyola.

In any case, tuition differences are not hovering around ~$10,000 but more like around ~$15,000, creating a net difference of about ~$60,000.

In addition, interest can accumulate on loans, and it's not like the additional money you'll owe back will be just $60,000.

As you've said before Explosivo, a person will choose a medical school they feel happiest at, and yes, UIC does have some things that the other 3 schools don't have. If a student genuinely thinks they would be happier at UIC (and paying less can make you happier), then "hands down" they may choose UIC over the other three.

Originally posted by ForceField
Not to argue, but to clarify differences in tuition, they're not hovering around $10,000 differences.

UIC: ~ $18,000
Loyola: ~$32,000
Rush: ~$31,000
Pritzker: ~$35,000

Not sure about the price of Pritzker, but I'm pretty sure it's above Rush and Loyola.

In any case, tuition differences are not hovering around ~$10,000 but more like around ~$15,000, creating a net difference of about ~$60,000.

In addition, interest can accumulate on loans, and it's not like the additional money you'll owe back will be just $60,000.

As you've said before Explosivo, a person will choose a medical school they feel happiest at, and yes, UIC does have some things that the other 3 schools don't have. If a student genuinely thinks they would be happier at UIC (and paying less can make you happier), then "hands down" they may choose UIC over the other three.

Your figures are all wrong. Not a good idea when you try to dispute someone.

include fees with the tuition at UIC and you hit ~$20k

As for your other figures. According to the latest MSAR:

Loyola: $31,000
Rush: $31,000
UofC: $29,000

all of my figures include fees. You may have been confusing Pritzker with Northwestern.

The difference is $9k-11k.

Just curious though. How much do you really know about UIC? I'm just worried that by basing your decision almost exclusively on money you may not be realizing what you are getting yourself into.

Do yourself a favor. Talk to some students at UIC now. Find out what they think of UIC. I've spoken to at least 10-15 students there over the years and I've heard the same things over and over-much of it negative. I will most likely end up going to UIC also but I am preparing myself for what is to come. Please do the same as well so that you know exactly what you will be getting yourself into.

This issue about "money" is near and dear to my heart b/c I too used to think the way you did. I'll give you a little story. Coming out of high school I was accepted to the University of Michigan and UIC. There were huge differences in money and my parents were nudging me to choose UIC over the highly ranked UofM b/c of MONEY. Long story short, I chose UIC solely based on money and was absolutely miserable there for 2 years until I was able to transfer the Hell out of there to UIUC. Sure I saved a couple bucks but I lost 2 years of my life in misery b/c I was unhappy and had made a poor choice in terms of a personal fit. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had those two years back. To put it in your terms, the "happiness" I got from the money I was saving wasn't worth the emotional cost. This is what I am trying to convey to you. It is o.k. if you want to go to UIC b/c of the lower tuition, but please make sure that it will be a right fit for you and that you prepare yourself for the type of environment there. In order to make that determination please take a hard look at the other schools you have interviewed at and DO NOT rule them out on money alone.

Anyway, I wish you well and perhaps we'll both end up as classmates at UIC. But please consider what I'm saying before you make any final decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Explosivo, I do appreciate your advice. A lot of my friends are telling me the same thing.

As for tuition at Pritzker, I interviewed there and received their Financial Aid handbook, which has tuition written down, and it is well above Loyola/Rush.

In any case, that's not important. I do understand what you're saying, but honestly think I would be happy at UIC, despite the disadvantages it may have. I have never lived in Chicago before, and am looking forward to such an exciting city, whether I'm in a suburb or downtown. If I had already gone to UIC for undergrad, then no, I wouldn't want to go there for medical school.

Just to set the record straight about Pritzker, I checked the Financial Aid Guidebook.

The first two years each cost $28,000 as you said. The last two years the tuition gets jacked up nearly $10,000 to $37,000.

Originally posted by ForceField
Just to set the record straight about Pritzker, I checked the Financial Aid Guidebook.

The first two years each cost $28,000 as you said. The last two years the tuition gets jacked up nearly $10,000 to $37,000.

I stand corrected then. That's kind of odd how they hide that.

I didn't know about the last two years. I wouldn't go to Pritzker over UIC myself anyway and I work at UofC. Too much research emphasis and I'm interested in being a clinician not an academic. I wouldn't fit in.

For clinical skills I'm sure UIC is an excellent choice and I know that if I make it through UIC then I can make it in any residency program. I'm ready to suck it up at UIC but I'm just looking around to see if there are any alternatives right now. For me the extra money at Loyola might be worth it as I have a friend that goes there and has had a wonderful experience that he says was worth every penny.

The thing that I am most concerned about at UIC though is that the student body doesn't seem to be very "tight" so to speak. In other words, there doesn't seem to be a sense of cooperation or comeraderie amongst the students there that I have seen at other places. Again, I'm having flashbacks of my UIC undergrad experience and I'm afraid I'm going to be repeating history by going there again even though this time its for med school. I guess I'm afraid of getting lost in the crowd there and that I won't be able to connect with my fellow classmates at all. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Not to get off the subject, but Explosivo, you have the best avatar ever. :laugh:

Hi everyone. Wanted to share what I heard (could be rumors) and know (first-hand).

My speculation on why UIC may be bashing on Rush, UofC is possibly due to them signing exclusive agreements with Cook County Hospital (now switched over to John H. Strohger hospital) for their students to do clinical rotations. UIC has been squeezed out apparently so their students are fuming. I read this on a post here in SDN so not sure how true that is so somebody who is more knowledgeable please confirm!

Fact: I was a grad student at Loyola a couple of years ago and when I was there, Loyola was in deep financial trouble. The story was, the dean or president (can't remember which now) was accused of squandering the surpluses and future investments of Loyola so their budget was nearing deficit. He was also accused of not using current money allocations toward future investments to secure Loyola's future. In anycase, a petition was circulated at that time to students, grad students, professors demanding that the dean/president step down.

Additionally, our faculty department notified us that because of this budget crisis, they were looking at possibilities of decreasing the number of graduate students while at the same time doubling the class sizes for the grad students (far cheaper to have grad. students teach than professors). I taught the nursing students when I was there and I did see an increase although not double, at least at that time. In any case, grad students were in an uproar b/c that left little time for research which was why we were there and of course research completion was req. to graduate.

Again, haven't been there now for 2 years so things may have changed. I did hear though from my students about how outrageous their tuition hikes/fees were, although not sure what the figures are anymore. HEck, could have been $5 for all I know since college students really have no $$ so that could be seen as alot.

Originally posted by Explosivo
I'll tell you though what you should do. If you remember her name, let me know because I have the e-mail addresses of most of the student tour guides that I got when I received my acceptance letter. I'll give you her e-mail address and you can ask her yourself b/c we're all just speculating right now.

Well, I have her name and e-mail address, but I'll just tell you what she said about why she chose UIC over the over schools.

She was an undergrad at UC and she offered no other explanation as to why she did not go there for med school other than that she was looking for a change of school and environment. I can totally understand that because perhaps she did not like UC that much when she was an undergrad. Plus, as an undergrad, she was probably very familar with the medical program and maybe she did not like the research focus of the school. But again, thats speculation because she simply said she was looking for a change.

As for Loyola, she mentioned that students there mostly see patients from the Maywood area, which she mentioned was an upper-class type of community without much diversity. One of her goals for medical school was to be able to serve a more underserved community that was also very diverse in terms of culture. She did not feel that Loyola would giver her that chance. Again, a very valid point because from what I understand, UIC probably has an edge over other Chicago schools in terms of their students being able to see many more patients during their clerkships than other Chicago schools. This is also something I'm really looking for in a medical school.

As for Rush, she kind of just mumbled her way through her explaination, but I think she was getting across that the patient population she would have at UIC over Rush was more diverse, and she liked that more.

Let me also mention something that one of my interviewers brought up. He mentioned that the "student-faculty relationship," in terms of openness and responsiveness, was far ahead of NW, UC, Rush, and Loyola. I can't comment on this since I have not visited those schools, but could someone who has go into this a little more.

Let me also add that since I'm a out-of-stater, I would be paying almost $45,000 per year just for tuition. But I'm really not paying too much attention to price when I "rank" which schools I would like to go to. I would be very happy if I had the chance to go to UIC and would not mind forking up the money to do it. So let me ask you all this, if all the schools were the same price, which school in Chicago would you really want to go to? I'm not trying to stir things up, I just want to have some intelligent opinions. Thanks.

Originally posted by SolidGold

As for Loyola, she mentioned that students there mostly see patients from the Maywood area, which she mentioned was an upper-class type of community without much diversity. One of her goals for medical school was to be able to serve a more underserved community that was also very diverse in terms of culture. She did not feel that Loyola would giver her that chance. Again, a very valid point because from what I understand, UIC probably has an edge over other Chicago schools in terms of their students being able to see many more patients during their clerkships than other Chicago schools. This is also something I'm really looking for in a medical school.

Actually, that's very wrong. Loyola is in the immediate western suburbs. In fact, if you look at the census data for Maywood, it is predominantly black suburb. Berwyn and Cicero, nearby suburbs, are predominantly Latino and Loyola is the closest major hospital to the west side of Chicago.

Actually, I think Loyola offers a very diverse patient population. I interviewed with a Family Medicine professor there and she said the area surrounding Loyola is actually a lower-income area and she sees a wide variety of patients in her practice.

could i get some feedback as to what the daily class schedules are like at the various IL schools- specifically UIC, Loyola and Rush

As an EMT working the greater Chicagoland area, I'm in the different hospitals a lot. I think that Rush, UIC, and Loyola all offer a lot of diversity. All the schools have various different hospitals/clinics that they cover. Loyola also has Hines VA, which is huge, and UIC has Westside VA (my ambulance company used to have the VA contract so we were at these hospitals all the time). The one difference is County/Stroger, which I did hear from students at Rush that they were stopping sharing w/UIC. What's special about Stroger is that they treat first, worry about money later, so they get the uninsured patients (hence it's the county hospital).

I live in Cook Co. but am from the central IL area... I got an interview to SIU. Yes they are looking for rural people.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am actually a ca resident and i got an interview to UIC at the Peoria campus...is it better to fly straight into peoria? how far is it from Chicago to Peoria??? thanks!

You should try and fly into Peoria if you can. I'm not sure on the exact time, but I'd probably put it around 2+ hours.

Fyi just got the big W from Vandy :rolleyes:

but also got a WashU interview:)

To whoever was asking about Peoria...fly straight in there unless you are prepared to rent a car in Chicago and navigate your way from O'hare to Peoria (~2 hrs, if you do this though make sure NOT to get stuck in rush hour...its a big headache).

does anyone know how the "hold till January" for interview works at loyola.....i read on some old posts that usually you get the interview but its for the waitlist.....is that true?

why does UIC drop so many people ... i guess as plucky said it's hard to show them how you are different with their app.

Well, who knows how you get an interview or not ... either they like the essays or they don't, it goes on a hunch from what the adcom person sees, I guess --- that is, if you are barely different from another person in the process.

Will most adcoms send anything out late in January? I'm sure the committees are done meeting for the year unless they do in the next couple of days ...

Gumshoe

(it's a 1 YEAR process -- CRAZY!)

Originally posted by Gumshoe
why does UIC drop so many people ... i guess as plucky said it's hard to show them how you are different with their app.

Well, who knows how you get an interview or not ... either they like the essays or they don't, it goes on a hunch from what the adcom person sees, I guess --- that is, if you are barely different from another person in the process.

Will most adcoms send anything out late in January? I'm sure the committees are done meeting for the year unless they do in the next couple of days ...

Gumshoe

(it's a 1 YEAR process -- CRAZY!)

Sometimes one person reads all the apps (maybe with some kind of pre-screen). At least at Loyola the dean of admissions claims to have read every application...and she said that it really did come down to the essay.

As far as interviewing late, UIC interviews late...later than many schools. Somebody can clarify this but they interview at least into March. Loyola interviews at least into the 3rd week of January (for waitlist spots). I dunno about other places....but wild speculation would lead me to say that at least a good number would interview through the end of January.

are you saying that Loyola interviews all they will interview by the end of January? WOW! and for waitlist spots? So, they have their class set already, you say?

Man, I'm f@#$$@#ed unless I get in quickly ...

Since I haven't heard does that mean I have no chance?

Gumshoe

Loyola holds interviews in march and april, or at least they have in the past. whether or not they are for the wait list, i dont know. but one of my friends got in last year and interviewed at the end of march!

Loyola and RUSH are "holding" my aps until January. I have my SIU interview this Friday.

Originally posted by stinky
could i get some feedback as to what the daily class schedules are like at the various IL schools- specifically UIC, Loyola and Rush

we are in class from about 8AM-noon at UIC with anatomy lab/micro lab/other various stuff in the afternoons... most days we are done around 3 or so... if you want more detailed info you can PM me...

So I'm going to my Northwestern interview on Jan. 14th. Two things:

1. Where should I stay? Pay up for a hotel, stay with a student, crash at my friends place that is about 8 miles from the school?

2. Because there are some people who really want to interview at NW, what do you think about taking up a collection to have me tank my interview? When asked why I want to be a doctor, I can say, "The money and power. I like to play God, and this way I could wear scrubs all the time, which would be like going to work in my pajamas. Plus, it's easier to abuse prescription drugs when I have my own pad." I've always wanted to do that. *sigh* So wadda ya think? ;)

Woots, I'd say stay at your friends house but unless your friend is familiar with the NW campus, I found navigating there is kind of a bitch.

It may be better to stay with a student host.

About the rest of your post, if you did that, could you record it on tape, that'd just be too damn funny.

Originally posted by Woots32
So I'm going to my Northwestern interview on Jan. 14th. Two things:

1. Where should I stay? Pay up for a hotel, stay with a student, crash at my friends place that is about 8 miles from the school?

2. Because there are some people who really want to interview at NW, what do you think about taking up a collection to have me tank my interview? When asked why I want to be a doctor, I can say, "The money and power. I like to play God, and this way I could wear scrubs all the time, which would be like going to work in my pajamas. Plus, it's easier to abuse prescription drugs when I have my own pad." I've always wanted to do that. *sigh* So wadda ya think? ;)

1. I think what would be best is for you to stay with a student since most of them in the first two years live right next door to the med school. Agent is right about navigating over there it is kind of a bitch and if you aren't familiar with big city/downtown driving it may be a big hassle.

2. Nahh, just go in there and do your best. :D

As far as I know they've already rejected me but have decided not to waste the postage on a rejection letter. Heck, I've even stopped checking my application status which i used to check daily. They can kiss my ass as I don't appreciate them stringing me along like this with out so much as an update letter in the past 4 months. I'm also starting to think that NU wouldn't be a good fit for me personally anyway. Good luck to you though as I'm sure you'll like it there. They probably have the best looking hospital and facilities in Illinois. I hear student housing is great also.

Originally posted by anxiousmed
does anyone know how the "hold till January" for interview works at loyola.....i read on some old posts that usually you get the interview but its for the waitlist.....is that true?

I got the same answer when I called yesterday. I asked about waitlist interviewing, cause I'm not bothering flying to Chicago again if it's for the waitlist, but she wouldn't tell me. I think there's a high possibility it is for it, but I'm sure they accept some of the late interviews right off if they happen to really like them. I think it's just another grouping of holds for late interviews, we all know the chances drop the later you go.:rolleyes:

siempre, you're an august mcater, right? for some reason my app is still under review. ugh! does loyola notify of interviews by mail or e-mail? i think i should stop calling (even though i'm anxious to find out if i will get an interview).

Originally posted by lola
siempre, you're an august mcater, right? for some reason my app is still under review. ugh! does loyola notify of interviews by mail or e-mail? i think i should stop calling (even though i'm anxious to find out if i will get an interview).

Actually, I think I found out about my interview through a phone call. I'm not sure if this is how they do things throughout the year though.

phone call.

you mean they called you??

yep, it was kind of surreal having a school actually call me and ask me to interview. they called at like 7 at night too which was odd.

Phone call, back in Aug. though, so they might be sending letters now

Originally posted by Explosivo
1. I think what would be best is for you to stay with a student since most of them in the first two years live right next door to the med school. Agent is right about navigating over there it is kind of a bitch and if you aren't familiar with big city/downtown driving it may be a big hassle.

Well, he said he lives right be an El stop that has a line that goes right to NW. And I think I'm gonna see the play he's working on the night before, so I don't want to stay with a student only to go out on the town and come back late to crash. :confused:

Mine was a phone call too, at work. It was my first interview offer, so I was shocked.

I got my call in late September - what about people that got later interview notices (November or December) - did you get them by phone or mail?

Originally posted by Woots32
Well, he said he lives right be an El stop that has a line that goes right to NW. And I think I'm gonna see the play he's working on the night before, so I don't want to stay with a student only to go out on the town and come back late to crash. :confused:

Oh, well in that case then you're set. I wasn't sure if your friend was near an El stop or not. Definetely stay with your friend. Also, don't worry about going through any bad neighborhoods on the EL--the north side is largely safe, especially the area around NU.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by whatfun
Mine was a phone call too, at work. It was my first interview offer, so I was shocked.

I got my call in late September - what about people that got later interview notices (November or December) - did you get them by phone or mail?
got a call at work this morning so I guess they are still calling. probably so they can schedule them sooner. I was offered January 22, 23, or 24. going on the 24th.

Update: I am no longer a no-talent assclown.

Loyola finally granted me an interview. Got a call the other day and have scheduled my interview for the 20th.

Gosh I sure hope i do well there. I'm already getting nervous as this is pretty much where I hope to end up.

Explosivo -

Good luck on the Loyola interview! Just relax for it, both of my interviewers were really low stress and just wanted to basically hold a conversation. Both the school and the students were pretty impressive too!...

I've got a 5 hr. car ride to Wash U today :(

so you guys got me all excited about loyola (congratulations btw), and i decided to call again. my file is complete and under review STILL. what the heck? how long does it take to review a file?

Sorry Lola, maybe you forgot to include the white envelope with the "$300 non-refundable early review fee" enclosed. ;)

Hey Explosivo - congrats on the interview! I have been accepted at Loyola, and the whole process was very enjoyable, so don?t worry too much. One big suggestion would be to KNOW your ethics....they are very interested in that there, and I know for a fact that one of the instructions for the interviewers is to determine how you handle current ethical issues and the maturity in which you can present you thoughts on the matter. Past that, its all the normal questions.
PS....Do you know how Loyola stacks up against other schools? I am currently trying to decide whether to interview at Creighton....I LOVED Loyola, and it would take a great school to change my mind from both Loyola and Chicago to Omaha ;)

Originally posted by J244
Hey Explosivo - congrats on the interview! I have been accepted at Loyola, and the whole process was very enjoyable, so don?t worry too much. One big suggestion would be to KNOW your ethics....they are very interested in that there, and I know for a fact that one of the instructions for the interviewers is to determine how you handle current ethical issues and the maturity in which you can present you thoughts on the matter. Past that, its all the normal questions.
PS....Do you know how Loyola stacks up against other schools? I am currently trying to decide whether to interview at Creighton....I LOVED Loyola, and it would take a great school to change my mind from both Loyola and Chicago to Omaha ;)

Thanks all.

Actually before I graduated I took a class on biomedical ethics where we discussed the doctor-patient relationship, allocation of health care resources, quality of life issues with regard to patients, and euthanasia. I aced the class and wrote some of my best papers in college in it so I have some background to work with. But, it's been awhile so I need to do a quick refresher on the issues as I'm a tad bit rusty.

How does Loyola stack up? Well, they offer excellent clinical training and have an administration that is extremely supportive of its students. They have been gaining a lot of respect lately as well. Don't let the "private" label fool you, they have affiliations with many hospitals including the Hines VA and in Maywood, there are tons of public aid patients that come to the medical center for treatment so you WILL get plenty of clinical experience. Personally though I've had a rough past couple of years so I'm really looking for a medical school that has a good supportive environment and Loyola apparently offers that from those that I have spoken to.

The only drawbacks are that it is in Maywood which isn't the greatest suburb of Chicago and that they don't have student housing. The area doesn't bother me that much personally but the housing question is the only major concern I have. I'll have to talk to some student's that go there and see what kind of living situation they're all in.

Thank's again for the heads up!

Originally posted by agent
Sorry Lola, maybe you forgot to include the white envelope with the "$300 non-refundable early review fee" enclosed. ;)

i KNEW i forgot something. thanks for reminding me ;)

If you're looking for a supportive environment, than Loyola is where its at. I had the best interview experience there by far, and I've interviewed at 10 schools. Everybody was so nice, students and staff. I ended up withdrawing my acceptance there. A few days later I got a note from the guy that interviewed me saying that he wished me all the best in life/career. Talk about a class act.

Hi all-
Sorry I hope I am not intruding, but this thread is just what I've been looking for! I'm from IL (suburbs originally, graduated from UIUC in May, currently still living in Urbana). Here's my status:

Rush- interviewed 12/12, still no news, driving myself crazy analyzing how it went.
UIC- interviewed 1/7 at Peoria campus
NW- interview scheduled 2/18
Loyola- Secondary complete late Oct, still no news
MCW- Seconday complete late Oct, still no news

At my interview in Peoria, I was surprised how much they bragged about the Peoria campus and slammed the other 3 campuses, which was kind of disappointing since I really wanted to learn what UIC is like. I was wondering if the rumors they told me are true (at UIC you will be a number, the medical college is like a research factory, they don't care about the students, etc.)? Also, I am wondering if it even matters what I think about UIC because one of the Peoria med students mentioned that all the Chicago spots are probably gone by now, so it's UPR or nothing. Please, someone tell me that's not true! The stuff I heard about Peoria (from their biased opinions) sounded pretty good, but then I think...dear God, it's Peoria. I love Champaign-Urbana, but I am dying to move to a big city.

Also, does anyone know how late Loyola interviews? I heard MCW will still be interviewing for awhile, so that eases my mind, but I'm wondering if I should give up hope on Loyola.

I had to limit my # of apps due to financial reasons, but now that my options are getting limited, I wish I had begged for money at the time.

Thanks in advance- you guys are awesome- and good luck to all.

Originally posted by ChrissyCJ
Hi all-
Sorry I hope I am not intruding, but this thread is just what I've been looking for! I'm from IL (suburbs originally, graduated from UIUC in May, currently still living in Urbana). Here's my status:

Rush- interviewed 12/12, still no news, driving myself crazy analyzing how it went.
UIC- interviewed 1/7 at Peoria campus
NW- interview scheduled 2/18
Loyola- Secondary complete late Oct, still no news
MCW- Seconday complete late Oct, still no news

At my interview in Peoria, I was surprised how much they bragged about the Peoria campus and slammed the other 3 campuses, which was kind of disappointing since I really wanted to learn what UIC is like. I was wondering if the rumors they told me are true (at UIC you will be a number, the medical college is like a research factory, they don't care about the students, etc.)? Also, I am wondering if it even matters what I think about UIC because one of the Peoria med students mentioned that all the Chicago spots are probably gone by now, so it's UPR or nothing. Please, someone tell me that's not true! The stuff I heard about Peoria (from their biased opinions) sounded pretty good, but then I think...dear God, it's Peoria. I love Champaign-Urbana, but I am dying to move to a big city.

Also, does anyone know how late Loyola interviews? I heard MCW will still be interviewing for awhile, so that eases my mind, but I'm wondering if I should give up hope on Loyola.

I had to limit my # of apps due to financial reasons, but now that my options are getting limited, I wish I had begged for money at the time.

Thanks in advance- you guys are awesome- and good luck to all.

Welcome!

Fellow UIUC grad here btw. Let me break it down.

According to most UIC student's I have talked to, you're assumptions about UIC are generally true. Most say you just learn to deal with it and suck it up that's all. Do a search on UIC and you'll come up with a lot of tasty, or rather not so tasty info on the school. I'm glad to have gotten in as beggars can't be choosers. But it is good to know going in that at UIC, you're pretty much going to be on your own. A current UIC med student once posted this about UIC on SDN. I'm paraphrasing:

"If you go to UIC, go in with the mindset that the first 2 years at any med school will generally suck, it's just that at UIC they will suck a little bit more than most places."

Another saying at among UIC med students is that you need 28 hours in a day study all that they dish out to you as they pile it on thick in the first two years.

As for the class filling up it typically does by the end of January. Remember people can still get spots after that b/c of people holding multiple acceptances. As they sort them through, inevitably there will be people withdrawing from their place at UIC. A lot of these people will have gotten in early and will most likely have chosen the Chicago campus. Therefore spots will open up periodically thereafter through the summer.

As for Loyola I believe they interview through April. Granted at that point it's certainly for the waitlist. Word is though that the Loyola waitlist has hardly moved much in the past few years. I just got an interview there and I'm really excited but it's tempered by the fact that I'm probably looking at a waitlist if anything. If anyone knows any better feel free to correct me.

hope this helps.

Here's where I am at:

SIU - interview
Loyola - hold
Rush - hold
NW - rejected
UofC - rejected
Finch, UIC, SLU - ???

Midwestern - accepted
NOVA (FL)- waitlist