1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The new realities of medicine

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by roja, Aug 12, 2006.

1. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My resident just had the most charming :rolleyes: of patients refuse to talk to her, etc because he doesn't like female doctors.

He asked to speak to the attending, so I went in, and he started cussing because he doesn't like female doctors.

So, I politely informed him that he was welcome to leave because out of all the doctors in the ED tonight (6), there isn't a single male. :laugh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll bet he won't drink Dos Equis, either. ;)

[​IMG]

4. Hard24Get

Hard24Get The black sleepymed
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's funny. I just got a patient yesterday who gave me a crazy look when I walked in and then later explained I should count myself lucky because he doesn't normally allow females to be his doctor. :rolleyes:

I have been waiting for someone to take exception to my RACE but somehow I didn't think anti-female doc guys still existed.

Your ED sounds awesome! :thumbup:

5. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I had someone ask why "the 12-year old" (meaning myself) was telling everyone what to do on scene. My response: "Because I've been doing it longer than they have. Oh, and by the way, I'm 19." :laugh:

6. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

It is. :D

7. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I've dreamed of this happening to the nurses in our ED. I have such a plan in place already.

I'll walk in and say something like, "hi, I'm ___, and I'm the nursing assistant. Kellie is a great nurse, and she tells me you'd feel more comfortable with a male doing a blood draw on you. I really appreciate that, because I guess my boss thinks I need a lot more practice at this. Why don't we just swab some alcohol on a couple different spots here, because we might need a few of them..."

or,

"Dude, I'm pretty hung over, so I need you to hold verrry still..."

Bottom line, it seems pretty weird to me that in what is ostensibly an emergency situation, anyone would still care about stuff like that. I know, I know; people in distress want to maintain some control. Cranky people get crankier. But still; most sexists or racists must have learned when it's safe to express their stupid ideas and when it's likely to get them in trouble, right?

I bet a person feeling comfortable enough to maintain a dumb, socially-discouraged bias is huge cue to the attending that the person is likely well enough to leave, eh?

8. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wasn't there a more specific bias against "pretty woman doctors?" Regardless, the guy was still SOL.

9. JackBauERfan

JackBauERfan CTU Field Agent
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got rejected by a bipolar patient one time (of course wasnt' taking lithium or whatever she was on) because she didnt 'talk to foreign doctors'. Yeah I'm indian, but i'm pretty american as it goes :) I'm on internal medicine though and she was gonna be transferred to psych unit in the next 30 minutes, so I just left haha.

and one time I got told by this 80 year old woman I think atrial fib that I should go back to India. That was in the ED though so I said that I didnt' really have enough money and that I was here for tonight.

10. JackBauERfan

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just for the record, I have NOTHING against pretty women doctors.

11. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, socute, to bad we couldn't scare up an ugly woman doctor.

although I think he was the type to have a problem with *any* one taking care of him.

BTW, that horribly septic guy was still alive this morning.....

12. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, that's good....ummmmm...I guess?

Did they find an ICU bed for him?

13. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Nope, stayed in the ED all night.

14. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just the other day had a neurology resident refer to me as 'the medical student'.

"Yeah," he says to the patient's parents "I talked to the medical student, and he says that (your daughter suffering from status epilepticus) has to stay in the hospital."

"What medical student? We only talked to the attending." The parents replied, sounding confused.

I looked down at myself in the nice white coat, leather shoes and "Assistant Professor" badge and wondered how the confusion could have started. I try to dress like a grownup.

A few weeks earlier, one nurse leaned over to another one and whispered "Man, that new intern (referring to me) sure is cocky."

I swear just about every shift I hear "you're too young to be a doctor", "I don't want to be treated by an intern/medical student", or my favorite "you look just like Dr. Carter from ER"

Many of the residents look older than I am (although none of them actually are). I have to introduce myself as 'The attending doctor' or 'the senior doctor' just to get the record straight in the very beginning. I'm going to be 35 in a few months, but until I grow some grey hair or start balding I will never get respect.

15. USCDiver

USCDiver Percocet-R-US
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like when a pain in the ass patient doesn't want 'some nurse' putting in their IV, they want a Doctor TM to do it. I usually walk in the room and say "I'd be glad to try that IV on you sir (it's always a sir). I haven't done very many in my life so I could use the practice. That nurse out there who has done thousands in her time is sure busy though and has a bunch of other things to do. Now which neck vein should I use?"

16. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Heh heh, you use the "neck vein" threat too! Whenever one of my big fat hysterical female patients complains about too many sticks, I tell her either the nurse gets the IV in her arm/hand, or I'll put a big one in her neck. Most of the time the nurse is successful after that conversation.

17. JackBauERfan

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    exactly why I like coming here, still relativey new to the whole residency thing and I learn something every day :) Looks like I have another one to store in my bag of tricks!

18. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had a psych patient tell me she wanted a second opinion after I told her... oh hell, I don't remember what I told her. Anyway, I brought in my attending who is about 10 years younger than me. She stared at us for awhile, back and forth, back and forth, trying to decide what, exactly, had happened when the young guy was supervising the old guy.

She finally came to her own sort of conclusion and announced it. "You two are not very attractive men".

Obviously a psych patient. She clearly had problems with reality. :D

Take care,
    Jeff

19. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Clearly a prime example of wisdom coming from the mouth of insanity. ;)

20. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Could be worse... I'm 6'0" and roughly 275#. I used to powerlift competitively and still am a bit "top heavy", and, oh yeah, I shave my head, have a mustache and small goatee. So the other day, while on the first day of a rotation at a community hospital, a patient goes a bit wacky (ETOH of 475 will do that to you) and starts smacking his wife. I'm not about to watch this, so I grab his hands and pin him to the bed. The nurse, who I've not met yet, comes in and asks "what are you doing?" I respond, in my calmest voice, "I'd like this guy to have a B-52 please". To which, in a b*tchy voice, she responds (quite loudly I might add) "well then I suggest you go to medical school so you can prescribe meds. Until then you just hold him while I get the doctor" and leaves so fast I don't even have time to respond. I hear her outside griping about "The new security guard who thinks he's a doctor, he's probably an EMT or something".

When she comes in, a bit red faced 30 seconds later, I just look at her and say "By the way, I am an EMT as well". Geez, how many security guards wear scrubs, have stethoscopes on their waist and name tags that end with "M.D."?

I've had many patients make that mistake before (thinking I'm security), but never staff... I've just learned to use the "big dumb guy" routine the way many women use the "dumb blonde" thing to their advantage.

- H

21. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Whoa, a goatee. You didn't have that when I met you. It's an extra-evil look. Maybe that's what put this RN over the edge, eh?

And I wanna know how that 30 seconds went for her, outside the room. Heh heh.

22. Hard24Get

Hard24Get The black sleepymed
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh boy, I know an attending like you. Everytime I see him I think, "oh, what a cute little... no, no, he's not your peds patient, he's the attending!". It is hard to associate a baby face with authority, sorry. :oops:

23. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can't imagine the position you were in, other than it had to be with your rear-end pointing out. :confused:

Maybe she was too busy looking at your rear-end to see the name tag?? :laugh: :laugh:

24. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    2 patients in a row asked me yesterday if I was old enough be a medical student, and both asked as I walked into the room with a tray of supplies to draw blood and/or start a heplock. I was tempted to reply, needle in hand, "Well, you know, they wanted me to get some practice before I actually started my education." Instead I just laughed and asked them how old I looked. Both times the reply was "19 or 20."

25. shiro1

shiro1 Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I get the too young to be a doc line all the time, which I think is common for Asians, but my dad (a gernal surgeon at the VA) had the best line sitting in a plane. He happened to be reading a surgical journal on a plane when the passanger sitting next to him glanced down at his reading material and asked him if he were a medical student. My dad glanced at her, and told her that he had be practicing surgery for 35 years. :D

26. la gringa

la gringa Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'm with ya so cute... even after introducing myself as dr gringa, i frequently am referred to from there on out as "darling", "honey", or "sweetie" by both male and female patients. the spanish speaking ones often just call me "senorita". and i'm not even in the south anymore, i dunno what's goin on.

also at the end of my intern year, nurses still mistook me for a med student. the curse of looking young i guess, ugh.

27. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Jeez, this seems so uncharacteristic of you. I really figured you would have pulled up a chair and tried to get to know how his 'inner demons' were bothering him. :)

Take care,
    Jeff

28. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Post Doc
    No Jeff, I only take that approach with the cute guys, like you! Seriously, are you trying to suggest I have a short fuse?

BTW - when are you coming back North? The guest room is always open for you and yours...

- H

29. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Man, North sounds pretty appealing right about now. It's been well over 100 for the past several days and there doesn't seem to be much of a break in site. Yuck!

Take care,
    Jeff

PS, are you headed to New Orleans for ACEP?