The Night Before Inteviews

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by doughboy, Nov 19, 2001.

1. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering what people thought about the social gatherings with the residents the night before you have your interview? Should I go or should I relax and stay in the hotel room to prepare for the interview? Also, I was wondering how conservative you're supposed to dress. I have a pretty slick navy blue suit and a friend of mine suggested a white shirt instead of a shade of blue. Do you want to look a little trendy and stylish or is it better to look non-original and conservative? Any thoughts on the topic?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I know I mispelled interview and the clothing comment was about the actual interview day and not the social event the night before? As another note, what do they usually do the night before? Some drinking? Some eating? Activites? I'm going OB-GYN so I'm thinking residents would be pretty tired out to stay out and babysit us interviewees. Alright, I'll sit back and wait now.

4. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

And all through the hotel, not a creature was stirring, not even the ice machine...

I wouldn't even wear a suit. I think it's way too formal and stuffy for that occasion and you probably would be the only one wearing such garb. Wear something nice but relaxed. You are just going out to eat. Don't get worked up the night before preparing scripted answers to possible questions. I think scripted answers makes one look artificial and dishonest. I think you should fly from the hip and talk to the inteveiwer as if you were having intelligent conversation with an attending that you've worked with in the past. Don't perform, just be you.
    Good luck and I hope someone else has some opinions for you besides mine.

5. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply pags but the suit was for the interview day and not the social event. Trust me, I'm not that lame to wear a suit to dinner with residents. Plus, I don't believe in scripted answers either however I don't believe in flying off the hip as a good thing. I'll probably outline some things I want to say to certain questions and then gel it together based on how the interviewer is like. I just don't want to leave out important points and get tongue tied trying to get my thoughts out and talking in circles. I think most people forget that preparation for the interview is as important as the interview itself. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. fourthyr

fourthyr Member
    7+ Year Member

Definitely attend the interview session the night before.

This is where you get the low down on places from residents AND current applicants. You'll get to see where people applied and what they think and thought about the places (again, residents AND applicants). Also, this may help you figure out what ball game you're in... minors, majors, etc. Strengths, weaknesses, REAL call schedules, etc. will be revealed. You may even find out who's going to interview you and you may find out things about them. Also, you'll meet applicants that you'll meet again and again on the interview trail. It may provide you with a means of cutting travelling costs, etc.

Furthermore, you'll get to see who goes to these things. If residents come, they're more likely sticking up for their program, despite how tired they are. If they don't, it may be a bad sign. Also, chairman and program director's tend to show up to these things. The organizer is usually the residency coordinator, and they will be definitely there. Faculty rarely attend, but they'll ask if you did attend during your interviews. If you didn't attend, everyone (applicants, faculty, secretaries) will ask you why not.

Besides all the **** I just said, you get free food and booze. It's relaxing. And don't show up there in a suit. Shirt and slacks. Tie not necessary, but optional, it seems. No jeans.

For interview suit advice, I'd go with the cleanest, newest looking, blandest suit you have. No cool colors or designs. And this is coming from a dude who is all about fly clothes. If I were interviewing you, I'd like the fly clothes and the earring, but I'm not interviewing you...some old crotchety bastard or bastardette is.

So, in summary, if you're a complete tool and suck socially or if you're inevitably detained by overzealous airport guards, then don't show up. Otherwise, this should be a priority. Therefore, make sure you ask the coordinator about these sorts of events prior to and after interview sessions so that you can plan flights accordingly.

All of the above info is what I have been experiencing on the interview trail this year. And most of it is my biased opinion, of course.

7. Soupbone

Soupbone Member
    Physician 15+ Year Member

Lets make this really fun :D .

Any arguement for Brown, Blue, or Grey for interview suit color.

I am for blue..
    <colorful and lively without being showy or garish>

S-upb-ne

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think its even an option NOT to go to the social event the night before the interview. Besides the benefit of talking to residents on a less formal basis, it will be woefully obvious if you don't attend (and don't have a great reason, conferred before the event, not to) and will likely be taken as a sign of disinterest.

As for interview attire, I think the blue shirt and suit sounds nice - which is what you want. Not corporate drone mind you but it had better be conservative in cut, color and style. Leave your tie with the flashy design at home (then again, don't simply go for the traditional rep stripe).

And even though you didn't ask about what to wear to the social event the night before, I would ask the residency coordinator what is usually worn. At every one I went to, all the applicants wore suits - and we were told to dress as if for interview by the residency coordinators. Maybe Surgery is more conservative but before I showed up in a tieless shirt, I would check with the program and see what is expected or usual.

Best of luck.

9. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for all the great advice people. I do like to have a good time and I can booze quite a bit so I want to be careful I don't look too laid back and not serious. I hope the event isn't too formal either. I feel pretty relaxed now and I plan on making it out to the preinterview night as much as I can. I hope the people I interview with are cool and non-competitive because I don't know if I can take any more gunners or eager beavers to work with. Well, I'm open to any more advice and any interesting stories about your pre interview nights.

10. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

I agree with Kim that you should call ahead and ask about attire. It might depend on the specialty. My pre-interview bashes were all very casual, but you never know.

Also, when it comes to booze, let the residents set the tone. At some interviews, they ordered wine/beer and everyone followed suit, but at others, they stuck with soft drinks...and so did everyone else. Either way, I would stay away from the hard stuff...you don't want to get smashed and show up the next day hung over.

11. neal

neal Junior Member

hi,
    i bought grey woolen skirt-suit for interview day. i am interviewing surgery programs. is it ok ?
    thanks.